Twin Turbo's, Big Power, for Towing. Who do I Call???

borsky

Reaction score
It's the same principle no matter the gear count .

So what is your goal? To increase your cruising rpm's? Unless your running huge tires and are having trouble getting the load rolling it doesn't seem worth it to me to change ratios. My truck has 3:31 ratios and stock sized tires and when I'm pulling max weight I lock 6th out to prevent excessive shifting and lugging the engine in 6th. Works great for me

WHY NOT

Reaction score
So what is your goal? To increase your cruising rpm's? Unless your running huge tires and are having trouble getting the load rolling it doesn't seem worth it to me to change ratios. My truck has 3:31 ratios and stock sized tires and when I'm pulling max weight I lock 6th out to prevent excessive shifting and lugging the engine in 6th. Works great for me

Curious to what you consider Max Weight? I have only locked out 6th one time.

If I had the money for a built motor and trans I would probably want to run a compound set up as well. Better spool lower EGT's and more power potential than a truck equipped with a vgt at a high horse power level. Depending on what level you want to be at.

BIG JUICE

Reaction score
Exactly why I went gears this last go around of parts.
What do you pull? The lugging in stop and go traffic had me thinking 3.73 gears also. Don't want to be in a lower gear but more rear gearing. Was thinking that them 3.73 would be the sweet spot. I have 3.55 now. However that is with no load...running empty. Been wanting to lift this beotch though prob just wait.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I'm about to put a gtx4202R in front of my stock 15 turbo. 80 horse tow file. And run it. If I loaded a nasty race file then the bottom end would hate it, I only want useable towing power though. I don't care about all out breaking dyno power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's not a good choice for a lp turbo your back pressure is going to be super high

Motostroker

Reaction score
I tend to disagree, big turbine wheel and they have bigger housings available. It would work just fine

I was thinking tial housing. 1:16 and the 1:30. Try both and watch ebp and get to where I want

jcain

Reaction score
What do you pull? The lugging in stop and go traffic had me thinking 3.73 gears also. Don't want to be in a lower gear but more rear gearing. Was thinking that them 3.73 would be the sweet spot. I have 3.55 now. However that is with no load...running empty. Been wanting to lift this beotch though prob just wait.
c63a580dd9474ab3ccb1bbbe39c9cae4.jpg

Plus I'm a non vgt turbo.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
What turbo you think would be ideal

The gt45 turbine seems to work better than the 42. It's all my opinion of course but I just have never been a huge fan of how it performs. Fairly high back pressure for how it spools. Borg 75 would work well too can't remember what they spec out with the industrial set up but Corbin's truck seems to work well

Motostroker

Reaction score
The gt45 turbine seems to work better than the 42. It's all my opinion of course but I just have never been a huge fan of how it performs. Fairly high back pressure for how it spools. Borg 75 would work well too can't remember what they spec out with the industrial set up but Corbin's truck seems to work well

He's got a 1:36 housing. Be nice just to adapt a industrial kit to a 15

Dzchey21

Reaction score

I dk I was just looking at garret site and forgot the smallest GT45 is a 80mm compressor which is prob too big. GTX wheels are much better than the original GT42s so if you ran a large housing it would probably be fine. It's too bad they don't make a GT45 with a 75mm wheel.

That kit should adapt easy I would think. Compressor inlet would have to be changed but not a ton.

Dzchey21

Reaction score

Just curious why you don't want to just do a drop in turbo? Is it EGT or something else? I usually turn my truck way down when towing 1000 us or so. Plenty of power even there. Enough to overwhelm the radiator but not the EGTs

Motostroker

Reaction score
Just want something different. Huge space where the egr once was needs another lung right there. I've been practicing tig a lot lately and feel confident enough to fab a kit, can't decide on turbo though.

Really want h&s kit but the price is rough

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I see makes sense. Simplicity of a drop in is nice but there is a ton of room on the right side.

Motostroker

Reaction score
9219dea0ac3aecec85a4b8c58c627d9a.jpg

22k loaded with rzr in the back. Reason for a little more air towing this through the mountains

Reaction score
In all honesty, I think our 64mm single turbo would net you the results you're after. It's been said dozens of times that this turbo is an excellent choice for towing and mild performance (650 hp with a dual fueler).

Low EGT's and plenty of bottom end power make it a nice candidate for someone that wants to hook to a trailer and tow without babysitting your gauges.

Vengeance

Reaction score
In all honesty, I think our 64mm single turbo would net you the results you're after. It's been said dozens of times that this turbo is an excellent choice for towing and mild performance (650 hp with a dual fueler).

Low EGT's and plenty of bottom end power make it a nice candidate for someone that wants to hook to a trailer and tow without babysitting your gauges.

What he said.

I pulled my camper, granted it's not nearly as big as that one, but this kit is an animal and I have the sport housing, not the spool housing.

Motostroker

Reaction score
What he said.

I pulled my camper, granted it's not nearly as big as that one, but this kit is an animal and I have the sport housing, not the spool housing.

I would absolutely love to have the H&S kit. Looks like I need to tuck away funds to get it instead. I like how clean and professional it is.

Rental property has all my funds tied up.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.