Two new HPFP and both leaking from front seal

Crack85

Reaction score
They all use the same pumps.....except RCD. He has dr diesel kit n side action diesel has his own kit...

08BIGRIG

Reaction score
I am using the DD kit and Brenton is using the Side Action Diesel kit. I have had the kit for over a year with no issues until I changed pumps in the front.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
and i would wager you dont have the old part number off the pump, to be able to compare old pump to new pump?

if there is manufacturer change, maybe you could isolate the issue to a brand of pump.

08RED4x4

Reaction score
I maybe fixin to sound stupid but reckon when its that cold the seals "shrink" just enough to cause a leak. I know that I have had coolant leaks in the past that didnt show up till the temps really dropped. I know that it still shouldnt leak , just thinking of possibillities.

Last edited:

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
alloow me to provide some preventative advice, it was 75* here today. move somewhere warmer. LOL

Reaction score
The main thing that I am worried about is what's happening to the reman pumps that are going in the engine??? I don't drive the truck in the winter so for me not a big deal.

Let's face it guys if these pumps fail there is no "new" replacement . "At least correct me if I am wrong"

So in the diesel injection world what I am wondering if there is an aftermarket seal that they are using to reman these pumps that the tolerance are not as tight on the outside diameter of the seal on the bore of the pump that is shrinking and causing the leak. ??

For the side load on pulley ... I'm thinking that when hot or cold wouldn't make a difference . I could be wrong . Have u seen diff Arron?

Reaction score
My guess?

1: cheaper/different seals used

2: bearing tolerances in reman pump are too loose

3: high case/return pressure when cold

4: the truck is telling you that it's too F***ing cold to be running (most logical)

08BIGRIG

Reaction score
Have you tried plugging it in? Perhaps the block heater can keep the seals warm enough to prevent leaking until the spring or a solution is available.

It does get a lot better if I do plug it in, but at work that isn't always able to happen. But the leak is much less if you do keep it pluged in when its cold.

91turbogsx

Reaction score
This may be completely irrelevant but I just recently swapped my HPFP with a reman from Ford and I noticed my original stock pump had a snap ring where the front seal is and the reman did not. Like I said it may be irrelevant but it was something I noticed when I got the new pump and just thought I'd make it known.

08BIGRIG

Reaction score
So I have been looking hot and heavy overnight on other forums and PM'ing people that have had pump failures. This is much more popular than I thought. Seems like it is only the Remand pumps that are having the issues. One guy on Powerstrokenation.com put a remaned pump in the valley and it leaked and put 30 quarts of fuel in his crankcase before he knew what was going on. This really sucks guys. We need to find a fix for this.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
ugh, makes me sick to my stomach...

arguably the most capable diesel engine ever installed in a pickup... with plenty of trucks still under OEM warranty... and now we can't even get OEM quality replacement parts!? :(

08BIGRIG

Reaction score
I am wondering if the IH pump that is for the MaxxForce engines are the same as the OEM pumps? I am thinking that maybe the IH pumps could be a way to get away from these issues. Right now I really don't know though.

UpstateDieselGuy

Reaction score
It may be worth contacting reputable independent shops that work on them and seek their advice and opinions on a rebuild. I'm sure there are shops that can rebuild them other than Fords contracted shops.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.