Undercarriage Up-Keep

Rob D

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Being from New England it is always a task keeping our undercarriage from turning into piles of rust. My current truck came out from the west coast spotless - and after two years in New England (even with me cleaning it bi-weekly in dead of winter) it still has minor rust. This truck is for sale as I am sure a lot of you have seen. I am going to be buying an 03 7.3 with a clean undercarriage as well and want to know what the best ways are to A - Remove any light surface rust without having to sand or brush down and B - keep it from happening in the future.

I got a holiday special in the mail from Eastwood which sparked this whole thought. They offer undercoating kits, rubberized undercoating, rust converter products etc. etc. There are guys who also swear by POR 15 and guys who highly advise against it. There are some guys who say to go with JD tractor paint. There are also others who swear by just fluid filming before every winter and maybe one or two applications mid winter.

For someone like myself with very mild rust - will a chemical remover work? What is best after that - should you do some type of frame paint or just go with fluid film? Want to get ahead of it this year before the first salting happens.

Thanks guys!

Rubenk

Reaction score
Chassis Saver Satin black, painted on with cheap foam brushes. Can paint it directly onto rust, just give it a decent pressure wash to get all the loose stuff off.

Latest posts

Members online