Update on my rig

Craig@MFI

Reaction score
Could the high backpressure from the triple setup have anything to do with the oem lifters failing?
I highly doubt it I have never had one lifter fail on king Kong and that truck has been threw more hell than anyone has put on a 6.4 weight wise, nitrous wise, and boost wise..If it were me I would run proven oem lifters til other are proving and have miles on them
I don't know what oil was being used in erics truck but we always used valvoline 5w-40 in our builds

Wayne

Reaction score
Erik, if you don't already have an oil pressure gauge, it seems like now's the time to add one in case there's lack of pressure, especially in the higher rpm's. I do like the idea of hydraulic lifters going back in so long as oil psi can be monitored long enough to know it's high enough for it's needs. Good, clean oil like craig's running goes a long way for protecting stuff. I am in no way implying crappy oil is what caused the problems, just stating a few obvious points, and thinking proactively for your next round.

Reaction score
We've used factory lifters past 5500 rpm... Past 100psi ebp... There are a 100 ways to skin a cat. But there has to be a reason that Erik's valves hit the pistons. Whether it be a malfunctioning wastegate, valve train failure, etc, we may not ever really know. But I'm certain oil has very little or nothing to do with it. I've seen cams wear just like that when beating against floating valves or valve to piston contact. We know the factory lifter will work and if the ones Erik is sending us are better then it's a no-brainer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Erikclaw

Reaction score
I highly doubt it I have never had one lifter fail on king Kong and that truck has been threw more hell than anyone has put on a 6.4 weight wise, nitrous wise, and boost wise..If it were me I would run proven oem lifters til other are proving and have miles on them
I don't know what oil was being used in erics truck but we always used valvoline 5w-40 in our builds

I have always ran valvoline blue, the full synthetic, last oil change after the Tx trip I used Amsoil since I have a couple of cases of it from them.

Oil is not the issue, this truck has never gone over 5k between changes. I usually still change it at 3k, and almost all my driving is on the highway. What ever the issue is, there is a new block going in so if the last one has issues they are gone.

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
no ***in way is this gonna turn into a oil brand issue.. i would never see erik running cheap chitty oil in this truck...

live life full throttle

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Erik, if you don't already have an oil pressure gauge, it seems like now's the time to add one in case there's lack of pressure, especially in the higher rpm's. I do like the idea of hydraulic lifters going back in so long as oil psi can be monitored long enough to know it's high enough for it's needs. Good, clean oil like craig's running goes a long way for protecting stuff. I am in no way implying crappy oil is what caused the problems, just stating a few obvious points, and thinking proactively for your next round.

Erik, this is something that i can add to the dashdaq but you are going to loose one function (total boost) or (LP boost) but i can do that if you need. Just did a local truck couple weeks ago. Just need a billet oil cap.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Erik, this is something that i can add to the dashdaq but you are going to loose one function (total boost) or (LP boost) but i can do that if you need. Just did a local truck couple weeks ago. Just need a billet oil cap.
why do you need a billet oil cap to monitor oil pressure? are there no lpo ports on a 6.4?

live life full throttle

ncollins64

Reaction score
How would Erik and I be able to do this if we have the filter relocation from elite? Curious as I'd like to maybe do this when mine is done

Reaction score
If you have a cts monitor we can add up to 16 sensors. Then you can read all you boost, bp and oil pressures. Plus any temps or other pressures you may need.

ncollins64

Reaction score
If you have a cts monitor we can add up to 16 sensors. Then you can read all you boost, bp and oil pressures. Plus any temps or other pressures you may need.

Morgan do you think that would be a better route over a dd? I wanna keep tabs on everything this go around. Derail over, sorry erik

Dzchey21

Reaction score
How would Erik and I be able to do this if we have the filter relocation from elite? Curious as I'd like to maybe do this when mine is done

There almost has to be a port some where we can tie into. On the oil filter cap i use a 1/8 pipe sensor and use the dashdaq expanded harness to tie into that. Unfortunatly since you can only have 2 you will loose one. or run 2 dashdaqs ect.

The edge cts does work well, it sucks on 6.7s just like every other monitor out there. but the expandability is awesome so you would no loose any functions.

It would also be handy to see if a filter was in by pass or not as you could have a differential sensor in before and after the filter. but thats all really getting too complicated for what we are talking here. That would almost be better off being a switch and a dummy light.

Wayne

Reaction score
You can see the pressure port in the pic here Erik.
IMG_20130426_101656_1061.jpg

x2 on the CTS. Erik's got some nice analog gauges though, so going with a match on one of those would also be great

Erikclaw

Reaction score
that CTS sounds nice, since you don't lose any thing that you want to monitor. I think that housing has two empty ports but not sure. I know there is at least one.