Update on my rig

Black AOD

Reaction score
I actually have a question. I read in an article on Erik's truck somewhere that the rear end of this truck had 300M axle shafts. Are those custom from RCV for the sterling or was the rear end swapped to a D80 using custom RCV shafts? I don't see an option on RCV's site which is why I ask. Or maybe it was a typo and it was supposed to say front end? Because I know RCV makes 300M CV Joints for the front D60. Just Wondering because some 300M rear shafts would be really awesome for my sterling. Especially if you can get 37 spline shafts

Edit - I see RCV offers an Ultimate Full Floater Shaft in 35 spline or 40 spline options. I had to search for an F250 not a 350 to find it....is this whats in the rear end in 35 spline I'm guessing?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Erik's does have bigger shafts.

With that being said, putting axles in a sterling is like putting lipstick on a pig. We always broke ring and pinions in those things because they are weak. Axles here and there broke as well. If you put harder axles in, you will just move the stress to the weakest link and destroy ring & pinions even faster. 37 splines would not be needed because you can break the pinion clean off before you'll ever twist 35 splines. The stock axles always broke towards the outer end anyway. I never broke a sterling axle at the splines.

Instead of throwing $1200 in a set of axles I would find a used Dana 80 out of a 99-04 cab and chassis f350 dually. Buy them fairly cheap and only requires moving shock mount and spring perches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black AOD

Reaction score

With that being said, putting axles in a sterling is like putting lipstick on a pig. We always broke ring and pinions in those things because they are weak. Axles here and there broke as well. If you put harder axles in, you will just move the stress to the weakest link and destroy ring & pinions even faster. 37 splines would not be needed because you can break the pinion clean off before you'll ever twist 35 splines. The stock axles always broke towards the outer end anyway. I never broke a sterling axle at the splines.

Instead of throwing $1200 in a set of axles I would find a used Dana 80 out of a 99-04 cab and chassis f350 dually. Buy them fairly cheap and only requires moving shock mount and spring perches.

Thanks for the response Morgan.

I actually was already aware of the 99-04 C&C axle option, I almost snatched one up and was planning to rebuild it completely and do 37 spline in it with a new gear and locker and all new internals. If i remember right their WMS length is within 1" difference of our sterling 10.5's.... Just decided to stay with my sterling until it breaks for now. I'll definitely go the D80 swap route when the time comes. Thanks!

Erikclaw

Reaction score
I went with the axles on a whim. Didn't know about the weak link like Morgan said but I don't plan on sled pulling.... a lot. maybe, ***. lol I am going to start sand dragging this pig, all four paddles

shmoozer

Reaction score
I went with the axles on a whim. Didn't know about the weak link like Morgan said but I don't plan on sled pulling.... a lot. maybe, ***. lol I am going to start sand dragging this pig, all four paddles

Yaassssss! We're gonna need vids!

lincolnlocker

Reaction score

why a cab and chassis? doesn't a regular drw axle from that era drop/bolt in? or is it a width thing?

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

Reaction score
why a cab and chassis? doesn't a regular drw axle from that era drop/bolt in? or is it a width thing?

live life full throttle

An f350 dana 80 axle from 05-current has an 8x200 bolt pattern so that's a no go.

The 99-04 Dana 80 out of a ford has 8x170 pattern, same as all 99-present SRW trucks. But from a pickup truck it's like 4" wider. The cab and chassis which is narrower, is the same width within an inch of a srw. But the frame and leaf springs are also 3" narrower on a cab and chassis than a pickup truck. So you have to move the spring perches and shock mounts to bolt it to a pickup.

Pretty sure the regular 350s came with a Dana 60
The 80 was in cab and chassis trucks
Not 100% on that tho

Srw have sterling axles. The dually's have Dana 80's the dually cab and chassis also have Dana 80's but are narrower.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
An f350 dana 80 axle from 05-current has an 8x200 bolt pattern so that's a no go.

The 99-04 Dana 80 out of a ford has 8x170 pattern, same as all 99-present SRW trucks. But from a pickup truck it's like 4" wider. The cab and chassis which is narrower, is the same width within an inch of a srw. But the frame and leaf springs are also 3" narrower on a cab and chassis than a pickup truck. So you have to move the spring perches and shock mounts to bolt it to a pickup.

Srw have sterling axles. The dually's have Dana 80's the dually cab and chassis also have Dana 80's but are narrower.

but it is still drop/bolt in even though its wider correct? just need a 2 inch spacer for the front axle to match back up.. lol

live life full throttle

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Pretty sure the regular 350s came with a Dana 60
The 80 was in cab and chassis trucks
Not 100% on that tho
drw f350 super dutys are all 80 rear, 60 fronts

srw are all 10.5 sterlings

99-01 srw fronts where 50s

02 and up are all 60 fronts

obs or older drw had 60 rears. or 10.5s.. dont remember

live life full throttle

Reaction score
but it is still drop/bolt in even though its wider correct? just need a 2 inch spacer for the front axle to match back up.. lol

live life full throttle

For the most part yes. The standard dually rear will go in any truck up to '10. Just makes the ass end super wide. The 2011 and newer have 4 wheel abs which basically makes everything a nightmare and not really feasible to put an older Dana 80 in a newer truck. At that point it is cheaper to pay to have a 2011+ Dana 80 narrowed and have steeling outers put on it.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
For the most part yes. The standard dually rear will go in any truck up to '10. Just makes the ass end super wide. The 2011 and newer have 4 wheel abs which basically makes everything a nightmare and not really feasible to put an older Dana 80 in a newer truck. At that point it is cheaper to pay to have a 2011+ Dana 80 narrowed and have steeling outers put on it.

10-4. good info right there!

live life full throttle

Erikclaw

Reaction score
Well here we go, as Morgan was testing the truck the K16 in the valley ate itself. Motor is already apart having the crank and rods gone through for new rod bearings. Having the injectors checked out to make sure they aren't hurt. Filled the crankcase full of diesel........

Ohh and the 62vgt is rubbing and not happy. FML

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
Kill it with fire... Oh you tried that?

Sorry to hear that man.. This truck just seems to be some kind of cruel and unusual punishment.

Reaction score
[QUOTEWell here we go, as Morgan was testing the truck the K16 in the valley ate itself. Motor is already apart having the crank and rods gone through for new rod bearings. Having the injectors checked out to make sure they aren't hurt. Filled the crankcase full of diesel........

Ohh and the 62vgt is rubbing and not happy. FML][/QUOTE]

OH COME ON! WTF This should not be giving you these sorts of problems....... I mean come on

Latest posts

Members online