Upgraded Coolers vs EGR Delete

BigBlue

Reaction score
I am new to the forum, and only really joined because I had a question. Which is better: Upgrading to performance EGR cooler and oil cooler, or just deleting the EGR altogether? I was quoted 2100 for the first option. What would it cost to delete it? Pros? Cons?

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
I don't see the point in replacing faulty parts with faulty parts. Meaning, why replace a cooler with a cooler to have to turn around and do it again down the road. Pay to delete it once and have some piece of mind down the road.

I've got a EGR kit on the shelf that needs a home. Let me know if I can help

MorganY

Reaction score
:whs: I've seen some with bulletproof diesels egr, and they had leaked after a few months of it being on their truck.

Last edited:

Prerunnerchick

Reaction score
Weld up the ends of your existing cooler. Cheap and the same benefits as the delete ... ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358395813.310778.jpg

Reaction score
Weld up the ends of your existing cooler. Cheap and the same benefits as the delete ... View attachment 13387

Curious....did you pay to have that done? Welds? Or did you buy the cooler that way? Up pipe? And why pull the EGR and while in there just not delete it?
Again just curious. Everyone has their own opinions I guess.

To the OP get rid of it. Keep shopping around for installation prices, but have Steve help you out on an actual delete kit. Very simple to install and a great kit.

Prerunnerchick

Reaction score
Curious....did you pay to have that done? Welds? Or did you buy the cooler that way? Up pipe? And why pull the EGR and while in there just not delete it?
Again just curious. Everyone has their own opinions I guess.

To the OP get rid of it. Keep shopping around for installation prices, but have Steve help you out on an actual delete kit. Very simple to install and a great kit.

No I didn't pay. I had a buddy weld it and we installed it at our shop. It's tig, I know it's not pretty. Up pipe is still stock since the back of the cooler is welded up the same. Could I have done the up pipe instead , yes but I live in California and with our lovely emissions requirements and the resources I have available it's more beneficial for me to appear as factory as possible and not face any potential slack. Where I live they have mobile CHP smog stations they set up at random like a DUI checkpoint and they know exactly what to look for.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Right, welding it up may be what's best for inspection state trucks, and i get that, but it certainly is not the best solution when compared to a quality aftermarket EGR delete kit.

BigBlue

Reaction score
I think I want to do the delete, but one of my problems is I don't know any shops around here that do them, or do them well. And I know the labor on it is probably going to be a lot from what I've heard. Does anyone know a good shop near central Illinois/Indiana?

redneck6.0

Reaction score
River city diesel in Peoria! And if you are mechanically inclined, and have a shop you can do the delete yourself. It's time consuming.and you will want an extra set of hands, but can be done in a day or less depending on your skill level. I have done a handful and they have taken anywhere from about 7 hours to 5 hours. It's up to you and your comfort level. It will save a butt load though.

Last edited:

dirtflinger92

Reaction score
I think I want to do the delete, but one of my problems is I don't know any shops around here that do them, or do them well. And I know the labor on it is probably going to be a lot from what I've heard. Does anyone know a good shop near central Illinois/Indiana?

Where are you from? I agree River City Diesel in Peoria, IL great group of guys!

BigBlue

Reaction score
Homer, about a half an hour east of Champaign-Urbana. I may give River City a call tomorrow and try to get a quote. I would do it myself but I'm scared I will break something. What all is involved with it?

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Not to try and steer you away from a great shop like River City, but if you are good with hand tools, you could install my delete kit in your driveway with minimal hassle. If you would rather take it in for piece of mind, I would definitely point you toward Jared at RCD. I know he will take care of you

dirtflinger92

Reaction score
Homer, about a half an hour east of Champaign-Urbana. I may give River City a call tomorrow and try to get a quote. I would do it myself but I'm scared I will break something. What all is involved with it?

I drive past Homer on the way to the Badlands I live in Bloomington

2wd-fire

Reaction score
Not to try and steer you away from a great shop like River City, but if you are good with hand tools, you could install my delete kit in your driveway with minimal hassle. If you would rather take it in for piece of mind, I would definitely point you toward Jared at RCD. I know he will take care of you

I agree if you are desent with tools it's about 6 hour job( little longer if you take the time to clean the turbo). But really not hard at all. There full write ups and you tube videos. Just take your time

Latest posts

Members online