Using OBS F-350 springs w/ Dana 60 - questions.

cbuttre835

Reaction score
Well I've been back and forth on this Dana 60 swap, about whether to do an RSK, if so - which one; or just stay with the factory shackles in the front and OBS length springs. I have an intercooler mounted (but not plumbed :doh:) and so that might complicate an RSK.

If I use the 2200 lb capacity OBS F-350 springs, and just roll the 60 under the truck; how much lift will I gain?

I should be able to use the factory track bar that came with the donor axle, too, correct? And factory track bar bracket... and run a sway bar... and not have to worry about front driveshaft length...

Ride is of some concern; I understand the RSK and longer SD springs will ride much better... and I like the idea of the PMF RSK 2.25" lift kit. But I don't want the truck down for a whole weekend, I don't have a heavy welder at home (just a little 120V MIG) to do it up right; so it'd have to be done elsewhere...

And it's quite a few bones less to just swap in the 43-516 springs...

Those who have used OBS F-350 springs, would ya do it again?

Last edited:

TERRCO

Reaction score
I would definately go with an RSK from Cary(obs wiz). I wasnt able to because of my winch carrier. I use my winch quite a bit for work so it wasn't an option. If I had the time to fab up a carrier that wouldn't innerfear with the RSK that's what I would do. If I remember right I gain 2 inches up front with the F350 springs.

PsRumors

Reaction score
I have not ridden in a truck with a RSK but I don't think my truck with the F350 springs rides bad but it rides like a truck. I've taken the truck on 1500 miles trips and it rides fine.

PsRumors

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, right about a 1.5".

The ride with the d60 and f350 springs is much better than with the d50 and f250 springs.

Tom S

Reaction score
I did not find a need to do any weldling with the PMF kit. My personal opinion is that is definately optional.

cbuttre835

Reaction score
Tom, I bookmarked your thread but can't see any pictures. I'm very interested in the outer axle seals and seeing your cleanup / rebuild steps. Also wondering about your seal woes and PVC spacer? You got a link to them or is my firefox acting goofy?

Other pics of the PMF kit I've seen, I tend to agree w/ the lack of need for welding. Looks like it cradles the frame and the bolts just keep it from sliding fore/aft.

Right now I have $425 in rebuild parts, worst case; plus seals and ujoints which I'm sourcing locally. Tierods, balljoints, and wheel bearings. I also have rebuilt "loaded" calipers treed for $30 each, might as well snag them as this axle don't reuse the D50 calipers.

If I determine much of the parts are reusable, I might pony up for the RSK. If I'm into every. stinkin. little. piece., I'll have to cheap out on it.

Anything has got to ride better than this TTB with the 4" 6-leaf pack that is there now.

Tom S

Reaction score
The pictures are not my fault. Stupid Webshots changed thier policies and all the photos I have done over the years can no longer be publicly shared. Shoot me a PM and we can work on another way for you to get those photos. If I get a snowy weekend with nothing going on maybe I will get another photo share account and redo some of my stuff.

On the seals those new style ones are tough to get in and take some modifications to make them work. The PVC piece is basically just a spacer to get the inner part of the seal pressed on the shaft far enough once they are modded. I felt I about had to go that route as the axle shafts had some pitting on them right where the seal would ride. So far no problems with the new style seals.

OBSWIZ

Reaction score
You are crazy not to stich weld any bolt on RS kits...we been doing these since 99..we have helped Thousands do this correctly.

IMO a RS kit without SD springs..is waster of time and $
You also want to use B codes SD rear springs.

PM or email be if I can help

cbuttre835

Reaction score
This project is getting expensive... tierods were shot, universals appear to be frozen... balljoints shot... wheel bearings may be OK but that's it so far. I may have to save a few pennies and just go with the OBS F350 springs... and try for an RSK w/ SD springs on down the road. <sighs>

mandkole

Reaction score
Sounds like a good plan--do not short change the cleanup of the housing and component replacement. Sorry to hear of the sticker shock, but these D60 threads crack me up. A D60 swap done right is a big investment. A leaf spring front end is still what it is and IMO there are only degrees of improvement doing the full RSK mod.

cbuttre835

Reaction score
I just dropped over two grand on a new tranny... might as well do this 60 swap up right since I plan to keep this truck forever... next step is to see what the tax man gonna do to me. If he don't stick me I'll be good; ridin in V-code RSK comfort. :)

cbuttre835

Reaction score
Well after much hand wringing and cipherin' I have decided to just try the 43-516 OBS F-350 springs. Dad just had a partial cornea transplant and taking care of two houses leaves no time for the truck. I got sticker shock when I priced 315 size tires too so staying with 285s which should look OK and not "too small" will make ye olde wallet even happier.

One day I'll post up pics.... actually contribute to the thread / site.

1995stroker

Reaction score
I just finished doing a 60 swap on my truck. I replaced everything while it was apart, agreed its not cheap but at least its done and done right with better parts than factory. I have yet to replace the shocks, but it still was a night and day improvement in ride quality on my truck. I did a full f-350 swap (track bar, leaf springs). Next will be swapping in SD rear leafs.

Yellow1000

Reaction score
Sorry to bring up an old thread here, but I keep seeing mention of a sway bar In this thread while I was searching for info on how I'm going to do my swap. Is one needed ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk and ****.

Idiesel

Reaction score
You don't need one but might be a good thing to have depending on what you use the truck for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbuttre835

Reaction score
I don't think my SC has sway bar mounts for the front. I'm gonna have the local 4x4 shop price fabbing me a couple and put it on. I have 2" blocks in the back and am gonna get the extended links for the rear swaybar as well. And I have a set of rear airbags to install.

Another "thread resurrection" question: Since I"m going with stock springs and stock F350 height, how much shorter is the F350 front driveshaft? A local shop said they'll cut and rebalance mine for 60 bux plus tax... just need to know what to tell 'em...

Last edited:

rusty1161

Reaction score
I don't think my SC has sway bar mounts for the front. I'm gonna have the local 4x4 shop price fabbing me a couple and put it on. I have 2" blocks in the back and am gonna get the extended links for the rear swaybar as well. And I have a set of rear airbags to install.

Another "thread resurrection" question: Since I"m going with stock springs and stock F350 height, how much shorter is the F350 front driveshaft? A local shop said they'll cut and rebalance mine for 60 bux plus tax... just need to know what to tell 'em...

Use the Banks sway bar brackets. No need to fab them. They made them for the 460 Power pack.

Rusty

Latest posts

Members online