Vermillion Red Painted Grill Shell

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
OK, if I'm seeing correctly on the Ford website, the ONLY trucks that come with painted grille shells (the outer surround) are the King Ranch trucks. They don't offer a KR truck in the Vermillion Red (at least not on the current Ford website)...but I've seen some trucks that appeared to be V.Red with painted grille shells.

So...did these owners have their shells painted?

or

Did Ford offer this in a previous model year or trim level?

If there is a factory painted shell in V.Red available, can someone provide me with a year and VIN number for a vehicle that came with one?

Strokin6.4

Reaction score
Not the shell but I bought mine like this

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1375829424720.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1375829424720.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 206

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
First problem...I just realized I'm a dumbass and posted this in the wrong section. Should have been in the 11-14 6.7L area...duh! Can a mod please move this and clean it up...sorry guys!

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
I always worry about painting over chromed plastic...I just have this image of the paint peeling and looking like crap. I know prep is everything, and I have a good body shop here that I'm sure can handle it, was just hoping there was a simple factory option.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I always worry about painting over chromed plastic...I just have this image of the paint peeling and looking like crap. I know prep is everything, and I have a good body shop here that I'm sure can handle it, was just hoping there was a simple factory option.

ive done it 3-4 times so far with no isues. all in the prep work. the worst that can happen is you repaint in a couple years.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
It's easy no big deal. I poorly prepped mine and it's still holding up. I do have Rock chips but that's Un avoidable

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

SVTDiesel

Reaction score
You can also paint it, and then spray with the 3m clear that is like plasti dip. It protect it against rock chips, and other small debris. If you decide to repaint or whatever, you can peel this stuff off.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Can the unpainted black grille that comes on xl models be painted successfully?

Yes but unfortunately due to the porous nature of the XL grille finish, getting it to look right would be tough.

You can get some pretty good self-etching primer to help the paint bond to the chrome shell. Like stated above, when you are done, just have it clear bra'd and never worry about it again.

BK39

Reaction score
Can the unpainted black grille that comes on xl models be painted successfully?

I did my work truck that way. It's nothing to brag about, but it turned out decent. I think I have a whoppin 100 bucks in the mesh grill insert, then about 40 bucks in adhesion promoter and rattle cans.......the color is slightly off, but from a distance, it looks good. Hey, it's better then it was.

Last edited:

Yourfnmother

Reaction score
I did my work truck that way. It's nothing to brag about, but it turned out decent. I think I have a whoppin 100 bucks in the mesh grill insert, then about 40 bucks in adhesion promoter and rattle cans.......the color is slightly off, but from a distance, it looks good. Hey, it's better then it was.

you make the mesh grille insert yourself? looks pretty dang good to me......

Jbaggs

Reaction score
I this is a few days old but just thought I'd throw my input in this is my 08 Chevy that I prepped and painted in my dads body shop. It was a wt package with the black grill shell and black bumper and mirrors all painted to match.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376429004.412381.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.