Vgt turbo

Mach5customs

Reaction score
I have searched and searched but I don't think I have completely found what I was looking for. I am in need of a new turbo for my 05. I am pretty sure I want to go the route of a pmax because its brand new, and leaves room for improvement if I decide to get bigger injectors etc... (My truck has the usuals studs, egr delete, coolant filter, cfm+ intake elbow, cts with egt, blue spring and 6.4 banjos, air raid intake and 4" exhaust) My question is who is selling a Pmax with a billet wheel already installed? And whats the best price/quality? Mtw has there's for 1800$ or so. Barder has the stage 1.5 for 1500$. I want to keep stock injectors for now then maybe a set of 155's in the future. What do you guys think is the best bang for my buck while still giving me a quality turbo?

Mach5customs

Reaction score
That's what I am thinking. Originally I was thinking the mtw stage 1. Even though he gets great reviews and it sounds like a very good turbo, I like the idea of a brand new powermax that can be machined down the road if I want to go bigger.

swinky

Reaction score
That's what I am thinking. Originally I was thinking the mtw stage 1. Even though he gets great reviews and it sounds like a very good turbo, I like the idea of a brand new powermax that can be machined down the road if I want to go bigger.

I'm a firm believer that the 03 turbos make more power. Maybe just an 03 turbo swap if you're looking for the whistle and want to save some money.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2

Mach5customs

Reaction score
Well I would really like more power and better throttle response. I could care less about the whistle, it's just the 10 blade wheel.

peixinho

Reaction score
more power can definitely be had out of the 03/pmax 10 blade turbine... but they are also known to have a bit more lag. It is all a trade off in the diesel world.

An MTW stage 1 with the 13 blade will make more power and spool up faster.

A Pmax or Barder 1.5 will make more power and spool up just slightly slower

Mach5customs

Reaction score
I do like the idea of the mtw stage 1 with quicker spool and very minimal lag. I just think the pmax leaves you with more options to make more power. From what I have read the billet wheel and a good tune will make the pmax run well

swinky

Reaction score
I do like the idea of the mtw stage 1 with quicker spool and very minimal lag. I just think the pmax leaves you with more options to make more power. From what I have read the billet wheel and a good tune will make the pmax run well

That's correct. I've learned to enjoy a little lag. Less snap=easier on hard parts.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

Mach5customs

Reaction score
I was looking at the barder stage 1.5 since it will work well with stock injectors for now.

windrunner408

Reaction score
You can run just about any of the VGT options out there with stock injectors. Especially if it has a GT37 series turbine. Tuning and no exhaust/boost leaks are what are going to determine how well it spools.

Mach5customs

Reaction score
The more i read the more horror stories I see about people spending big money trying to get a pmax tuned correctly. I don't do a lot of highway driving or towing. I would like a turbo that lights quick and is fun to drive. Something that will spin the tires and blow sideways easily. I eventually would like the truck to be around 450hp. It sounds like the mtw stage 1 or 2 would do that. Now that the mtw hybrid is gone I wonder if the cost of the stage 2 will be closer to the hybrid.

Last edited:

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
The more i read the more horror stories I see about people spending big money trying to get a pmax tuned correctly. I don't do a lot of highway driving or towing. I would like a turbo that lights quick and is fun to drive. Something that will spin the tires and blow sideways easily. I eventually would like the truck to be around 450hp. It sounds like the mtw stage 1 or 2 would do that. Now that the mtw hybrid is gone I wonder if the cost of the stage 2 will be closer to the hybrid.

Go with a Barder turbo, you won't be disappointed

Sent from my SCH-R530X using Tapatalk

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
The stage 2 will be built from new powermax turbo, balanced and will go for 1550.00 + shipping. Same price as the Barder stage 2. The difference is the compressor wheel, Barder uses a 11 even blade wheel, and I use a 6x6 wheel. I'm current waiting for the order of powermax comes in so I can start to build. Looking to keeping them in stock ready to go, I don't know about Barder but I also do exchange to upgrade to bigger turbo later.

I'm not bashing Barder he makes a good turbo, and has good customer service, I just wanted to tell the differences.

I will also be offer a Madmax which is in testing right now and doing well, it will also be built from new turbo. The stage 1 is a very fast spooling turbo and comes with billet wheel, still has 1 year warranty but is built from a used turbo price is 850.00 + refundable core charge of 450.00. Barder also offers a stage 1, which I beleive is also made from a used turbo for 900-950.00 would have to conact him for details if you want to go with him. Hope that helps you out

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
The stage 2 will be built from new powermax turbo, balanced and will go for 1550.00 + shipping. Same price as the Barder stage 2. The difference is the compressor wheel, Barder uses a 11 even blade wheel, and I use a 6x6 wheel. I'm current waiting for the order of powermax comes in so I can start to build. Looking to keeping them in stock ready to go, I don't know about Barder but I also do exchange to upgrade to bigger turbo later.

I'm not bashing Barder he makes a good turbo, and has good customer service, I just wanted to tell the differences.

I will also be offer a Madmax which is in testing right now and doing well, it will also be built from new turbo. The stage 1 is a very fast spooling turbo and comes with billet wheel, still has 1 year warranty but is built from a used turbo price is 850.00 + refundable core charge of 450.00. Barder also offers a stage 1, which I beleive is also made from a used turbo for 900-950.00 would have to conact him for details if you want to go with him. Hope that helps you out

Key to this post is that the PMaxes are on order. They still have to be machined, reassembled and balanced. Expect at least 2 weeks before they are ready. I'm running one now on a stock injector truck and really like it.

Sent while driving, drinking coffee and threatening to kill people in traffic.

Mach5customs

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks mad. I was hoping you would chime in and give a little more info. I really want to go with the mtw based on the great reviews and numbers that have been posted. I would love to talk to you and figure out which turbo you thought would be best for my specific truck set up and plans for it. Thanks for the input

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.