waste gate 38r

aceltx

Reaction score
Recently upgraded to a 38 r turbo, I am not seeing over 22lbs boost. I was seeing 24-25 with the stock turbo. When I installed I turned the waste gate adjustment in as far as I possibly could, took me like a 1/2 hour because I turned it all the way in and tried to get it on and then made adjustments of only a half a turn at a time out until I could get it on the pin, I used a pry bar to push it because it was so hard. any ideas, I do not have any issues with the way its running, sounds great when it spools up, just want to get the most out of it.
thanks

Addicted4

Reaction score
38r has a 1.00 exhaust housing which lowers drive pressure, also stock injector truck should be around 22-25 in my experience. Is the red line plugged into the wastegate? Also check for leaks on the up pipes, collector, ic boots, and spyder boots since you had them out to swap the turbo.

Just cause the boost gauge is down doesn't mean it's not moving more air which is likely the case.

Reaction score
When I changed from stock turbo, to 38r on the 02, I also changed uppipes and ic boots. Truck is still relatively stock, injectors and all, just tunes and exhaust and turbo, I have no issue getting it 31-32 psi boost, just a comparison

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

aceltx

Reaction score
All new boots, had a problem with 2 boots blowing off, so everything is very very tight now,there are no leaks that i can find. 4"down to 5" exhaust and I do have a ts6 tuner. I also have AFE intake on it. Im not sure if its is reading as good as the stock one, I had the stock port tapped into the entrance to the intake, the AFE is reading in the middle were the it splits. If I have 20 psi in the ic tubes wouldnt that mean 10 psi is going to each cylinder? I understand static pressures but after it enters the intake theres a larger area and it splits into 2 pipes wouldnt it be a little lower psi there????

IHPowerstroke7.3

Reaction score
Pressure will be equal everywhere in the intake, it does not split. If you have 20psi of boost pressure, that 20 psi will be sitting at the back of all 8 intake valves waiting for them to open. Where are you getting your boost readings from? Manual gauge? Maybe your gauge is inaccurate. If you are using a boost leak tester, regulate your air pressure to say 30 psi, then check your gauge and see what it is reading.

Last edited:

aceltx

Reaction score
K, no there are no exhaust leaks, im reading from my aftermarket boost gauge on i mounted on door column. Same gauge i was reading with stock turbo and intake. I just read other people were getting 30+psi with there gtp38r's Im getting a lower reading than my stock turbo. I am very happy with it, sounds sick, the sputtering that happened when i let off gas or got on it with old turbo is totally gone and feel a little difference.

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
Put enough air pressure on the nipple of the wastegate to make the actuator rod extend as far as it will go. Then adjust the rod till it lines up with the wastegate flap arm. Put the e-clip back on. Take the air pressure off the actuator and hook the red line back up. Then you can completely eliminate premature opening of the wastegate from exhaust pressure. Might also wanna make sure you didn't damage the oring that goes between the turbo and the spider. And I'd double check the spider boots in the valley.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Put enough air pressure on the nipple of the wastegate to make the actuator rod extend as far as it will go. Then adjust the rod till it lines up with the wastegate flap arm. Put the e-clip back on. Take the air pressure off the actuator and hook the red line back up. Then you can completely eliminate premature opening of the wastegate from exhaust pressure. Might also wanna make sure you didn't damage the oring that goes between the turbo and the spider. And I'd double check the spider boots in the valley.

Very good way of adjusting the wastegate. This is the proper way to do it anyway.

Latest posts

Members online