Webasto TSL-17

CamTom12

Reaction score
Just ordered one. I'm going to try and hook a telestart in there, too. I figure that'll make it better than an autostart up here!

I found a scream of a deal, google ISS Webasto and you'll see it.

Should be here next week, I'll post the install in here.

Jake

Reaction score
I had one of those on a work truck. It was nice! we had set it up to heat the battery box too that made a big difference cranking up in frigid conditions

CamTom12

Reaction score
I'm thinking about aiming the exhaust towards the oil pan some. Figure that might help. I've got a trans pan heater but I'm hoping to get this set-up so that I'm not dependent on a plug in cold weather. Plus using it as supplemental coolant heat will help me keep at/near 180 in the really cold weather. Plus I hate hi-idling all day while I'm running around just to keep coolant at 140. Wears on the engine and burns fuel like no other. I'd rather just shut the truck down and use this sucker. Should maintain around 150 on its own.

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
I drove from Hay River to Yellowknife in winter and had 'er in manual 2 with the grille cover on so it'd blow heat lol.

Looking forward to your install posts.

CamTom12

Reaction score
I drove from Hay River to Yellowknife in winter and had 'er in manual 2 with the grille cover on so it'd blow heat lol.

Looking forward to your install posts.

Tell me about it! I didn't have any issues with the drive up, the trailer kept enough load on, haha. I have a full winter front and can get up to temp twice a day - on the expressway to and from work. Any other driving around that I do isn't enough load to get to or stay at 180* in stupid cold weather.

Those are real nice units, wish I had a couple!

Google "ISS Webasto." Surprisingly affordable!

CamTom12

Reaction score
Went by a buddy's today that happened to have a 6.4 cab off. Did some pretty good location and plumbing planning.

I think I'm going to draw from the coolant drain plug from the driver's side and return to a T in the heater core return line.

I wanted to draw from the EGR cooler feed and return to the driver's side coolant drain plug to keep the hoses neat and tidy but I can't seem to find the leftover parts from my EGR delete. If anybody has that line and wants to donate it I'd be much obliged!

Also decided to mount the Webasto on the outside of the driver's frame rail, just under the TCM. That way it's on the same side as the fuel tank, shortening the fuel lines, and I can box a nice aluminum shroud around it to keep the weather off and help hold some heat in. Plus it's the only place there's any decent real estate. They really cram stuff in these trucks.

907DAVE

Reaction score
I think I'm going to draw from the coolant drain plug from the driver's side and return to a T in the heater core return line.

That sounds like the best way to do it! Can you borrow that drain plug from your buddys truck?

IIRC they are a goofy thread ORB fitting, might take a few phone calls to line one of those up.

CamTom12

Reaction score
I've got one in my pocket :D. My buddy had some extra laying around his shop.

It's M16x1.5. And Alaska Rubber Something Hoses or whatever it's called has all the adaptors I need to run that thread to a barb fitting the same size as the Webasto :D.

I dug around under my hood some more and I'm leaning more and more towards using the EGR cooler coolant feed. Unfortunately now I have to find that coolant line since mine from my EGR delete seems to have disappeared while I was gone.

In the meantime, the next thing to tackle is building the bracket to mount it to the frame and the aluminum shroud. I made a template today so tomorrow is material-hunting day. Any ideas where I can find some aluminum?

907DAVE

Reaction score
Alaska Rubber and Rigging.....good people over there!

I have a buddy who works at Altrol that hooks me up with all my sheeting, but Denali Steel is a good place to go. Its on the corner of Cushman and the Mitchell.

Otherwise you might stop by Greer Tank and Welding, or if you are in NP check out Universal Welding or Hectors, they sometimes have remnants that they just give away or charge very little for.

CamTom12

Reaction score
Well, interesting news...

I got into a heated garage and test-fit the heater on my truck - turns out the driver's side frame rail is a bad idea. The dang E-brake cable's in the way! I forgot that ran there, the cab-off truck we used for 'test-placement' wasn't connected.

But I did find a good spot on the outside of the passenger side frame rail, just aft of the transfer case crossmember. Fabbed up a cardboard bracket template and took it to Alaska Tool to get cut from 1/8" steel. I also got a line on a EGR cooler coolant feed line from Texas from SEABEE08FX4. Thanks!!

I did some SWAG measurements and it looks like I'll need roughly 24' of coolant hose (and hose insulation) and 7' of fuel line. It came with some hard fuel line but I'd rather use something rubber that won't get brittle in -50 and below.

All that's left is getting the EGR line in the mail, picking up the hoses and fittings, getting some hardware for the frame bracket and plumbing/wiring it all up!

Pretty exciting - I think next weekend I'll be able to get it done.

907DAVE

Reaction score
Fabbed up a cardboard bracket template and took it to Alaska Tool to get cut from 1/8" steel.

That dude is one hell of a machinist, only wish he wasn't so damn busy all the time!

Cant wait to see the results, this might inspire me to get one of those bad boys.

CamTom12

Reaction score
I'm telling you man, google ISS Webasto. It reads like a newspaper article but the sale is in there. 4th paragraph from the bottom in the first 'article.' Frigging ridiculous deal on them right now.

CamTom12

Reaction score
Alright, I picked up my bracket today. I'll get pictures of it tomorrow. I'm going to test mount the heater and test mount to the frame. I held it up there today when I picked it up but it was really cold out and I didn't have a flashlight or bolts to hold it in place - but it looked like it should work perfect.

I also need to rattle-can it so it doesn't rust.

CamTom12

Reaction score
Here's some of the bracket and the heater. The bracket's nothing fancy, just something to keep me from having to drill holes in the frame. I need to get the holes for the heater opened up, they're a shade to small. I'll try to get that done Monday.

On the heater, the metal port on the bottom is exhaust, the metal one with a visible triangle is coolant out, the tiny feed is for fuel, the left-rearmost port is inlet air, and the black plastic thing on the lower left is the coolant in/water pump.

Still shooting for next weekend to put this on!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327213887.164006.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327213887.164006.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 98
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327213906.602445.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327213906.602445.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 100

CamTom12

Reaction score
I found mine on a sale for $600, otherwise I've seen them for around $1700. I'm looking at probably another $100 in random stuff to get it all plumbed in, plus my time. Labor would pick the install up a few more hundo, I think.

Latest posts

Members online