Weird Noises

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
Ok, so I have been hearing some weird creaking and popping noises from the underside of my truck. Some times it sounds like it's from the front and other times it sounds like it's from the rear. It happens when I am rolling at a slow speed and brake to a stop, when I am stopped and begin to accelerate, when I go over a bump (speed bump), or when I make a turn where the truck flexes a bit. That is when the creaking occurs.

I get the pop noise, almost as if the truck jolts or shifts a little when I make right or left turns. It mainly happens when I make left turns, but will occasionally happen on a right turn. Like the creaking, it is usually when the truck flexes. I thought it might have been a cab bolt, but we checked them all. I can't tell if it's suspension related though. My suspension is 100% stock other than an Icon TEI up front with Bilstein shocks. It was doing this prior to the install of those, so I know it's not related.

I can't seem to put my finger on anything else, but it is driving me nuts. If anyone has anything for me to check, that would be great! Thanks in advance!

GROSSpolluter

Reaction score
theres a service bulliten on this. they did it to mine. they place shims under the body mounts as the bolts are too long i believe. mine still makes a noise when i turn it pop and i narrowed it down to the track bar shifting around. they replaced it 2 times still does it. so i kinda accepted it. man its annoying as fek!

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
I did not know about the service bulletin. I know there was one for the front left cab bolt, but I got that taken care of. Now I am getting the pop toward the middle of the truck when I make turns. I figured it was another cab bolt issue, but we checked them all. I'll be sure to go over them again when we replace my glow plug and fan clutch.

eric.davis

Reaction score
check your weld where the side of the bed meets the back of the bed by the cab on both joints. I've snapped those welds twice now

pog

Reaction score
my trucks been parked for about a month now and i took it for a spin yesterday and its also making an annoying creak/squeeling sound at slow acceleration and low speeds. nothing at cruising speeds or a dead stop.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I had a squeak and a little pop from day one.
It was the doors. Put a little grease on the latches and fixed.
Something to look at. Mine was mostly the rear doors.

BFT

Reaction score
do you have any slop when you stear? check the drag link bar (mainly the bushing) and also check the nut that holds the pitman arm

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
Still experiencing the noises. I am not so much worried about the creaking as I am the pop noise. My truck has 120,000 miles on it, so I would assume a little creaking is normal. The pop on the other hand concerns me. It doesn't happen every time I turn left or right. If I turn super slow, it doesn't do it. It also typically only does it if the truck flexes some while turning.

For example: coming in to my neighborhood I make a right turn from flat road to a slight incline. When I make this right turn, I hear a pop that sounds like it comes from the middle of the truck on the drivers side.

It actually sounds like it is on the drivers side when I make left and right turns, and it always sounds like it is in the middle of the truck. It's either at the front of the bed or rear of the cab. Like I said in my original post, all the cab bolts have been checked and are all tightened to spec.

powr2stroke

Reaction score
Mine makes a creaking noise when I'm slowing down . Been doing it for awile , well since I lowered it and haven't found the culprit yet . Sounds like its right underneath the cab somewhere .

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
Mine makes a creaking noise when I'm slowing down . Been doing it for awile , well since I lowered it and haven't found the culprit yet . Sounds like its right underneath the cab somewhere .

I'm stock height now. Not too worried about the creaking though. Thinking it may have a little to do with mileage and all those 15-20 psi 4wd launches. LOL

If you still have traction bars on it check those along with the tranny crossmember and carrier bearing mount.

No traction bars. I'll check the crossmember and carrier bearing mount. Thanks!

Latest posts

Members online