Weird Vibration At Idle

Reaction score
Not exactly sure what could be causing this, but looking for people with 15-16s to describe their idle and if theirs does the same thing.

I first noticed it around 250 miles on my truck (may have done it the whole time) and has continued since. Some parts fell off my truck around 600 miles, so tuning or anything hasnt caused this. Truck has almost 1000 miles on it now. What is happening is there is like a weird vibration/shudder at low idle, while in park only, and seems like its worse when the engine/trans are below operating temps (engine oil temp 150 or below with the trans temp 150 or below). There is no fluctuation in the idle, and when the trans and engine are up to temp it isnt really noticeable. The weird vibration/shudder is not constant and doesnt make noise. You can notice the vibration up until about 900 rpms while in park. The best way to to describe it would be that its on and off every 1 second. Like a shudder thats coming and going every other second. So itll shudder for a second, then run smooth for second and then repeat. When you put it in drive, it goes away. There is also no driveability issues at all.

Its irritating to me cause my 2011 idled smooth as butter, youd think the brand new truck would idle equally as smooth. I believe there is something going on, but it hasnt got better or worse the more I drive it. I know that on the 2015+ they did change the front damper and the fan clutch, not sure if that has anything to do with it. I dont believe this is engine related as the RPMS are running perfectly smooth. It almost seems like it would have to be external like a damper, fan clutch, torque converter or something.

Anyone else ever had this happen or know what they did to fix it?

sootie

Reaction score
just a shot in the dark but next time you are idling it, turn the power off on your climate control and see if it goes away.

Reaction score
just a shot in the dark but next time you are idling it, turn the power off on your climate control and see if it goes away.

Forgot to mention that part as well when I was writing my book haha. I have tried that a few different times and there is no change when I turn the climate controls off and on. My first thought was the AC compressor cycling.

Powerstroked6.7

Reaction score
I had a 15' turbo and tuning on my 11' and it vibrated pretty bad at idle and shimmer driving down the the road, now with a s366 turbo it dose not do it anymore

Powerstroked6.7

Reaction score
If your stock, maybe something with the computer and tuning, my 11 was super smooth until I put a 15 turbo and tuning and although there was a lot more power it idled like ****, put a non vgt and tuning in it and it runs tops again

Profuzz

Reaction score
Have to agree with heavy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

CATDiezel

Reaction score
When you state "while only in park" are you saying the shutter goes away if you put it in gear (brake applied/stopped) ?

And to prove the turbo, simply unplug the harness to the solenoid for the vanes and then see if you have the same shutter... just an idea.

Reaction score
Turbo veins cycling??

So for example, on my 11 when the veins would cycle, you can hear it the change in the exhaust every time it cycled. Which it would only due it 2-3 times in a row and then it wouldnt happen again no matter how long you idled. On my 16, I can hear the veins cycling similarly occasionally, but it doesnt change the exhaust note every other second its vibrating to indicate that the veins are cycling. Unless the vein change is EXTREMELY minuscule, could be why it has a slight harmonic/vibration. But again, no matter how long you idle for, it will keep doing it.

If your stock, maybe something with the computer and tuning, my 11 was super smooth until I put a 15 turbo and tuning and although there was a lot more power it idled like ****, put a non vgt and tuning in it and it runs tops again

I was stock, and it did it still. I thought at first, it was the E G R valve cycling at idle, but once parts fell off, it still did the exact same thing. So this appears to be none tuning related and more than likely something mechanical causing a vibration/harmonic.

When you state "while only in park" are you saying the shutter goes away if you put it in gear (brake applied/stopped) ?

And to prove the turbo, simply unplug the harness to the solenoid for the vanes and then see if you have the same shutter... just an idea.

When I put it in gear, it goes from being 100% noticeable in park to 10% noticeable while in gear. So really, you cant notice it in gear unless you were being EXTRA EXTRA picky. And I may have to try to unplug it to see if theres any change. The weirdest part is, it seems like its completely gone when the engine and trans temp are up to full operating conditions. And more importantly if the engine is fully up to temp, but the trans is still colder, I can also notice it. Its almost like the trans temp is playing more of a role in this than anything. Not sure if its a viscosity issue with the trans fluid, maybe doing something to the torque converter. Also, there were a couple other guys who have just posted the same type things happening, so Im glad to know at least im not the only one.

Oh, and sorry for the delayed responses!! I was out of town for the last week and half and did not get here to check for any posts.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
I don't personally have a clue if this holds true to rhe 6.7L .... but certain caterpillar gas engines run a selective cylinder cutout until permissive are met. Diesels too. It's a selection called "cold start"

Latest posts

Members online