What a terrible day

WYO7.3

Reaction score
I found this checking the fluids while filling up. As If the $120 fuel bill wasn't bad enough. Looks like I finally popped a head gasket. What are the chances my head(s) toasted its self?
ha9emy3y.jpg
ady8e5av.jpg

sootie

Reaction score
hard to say really. regardless, you should have them checked and decked. if you are lucky they may not be cracked.

gman1

Reaction score
Looks like your degas bottle was a little to full from looking at the pics. Maybe it just self corrected the fluid level with a little puking. Most of us run it at or about an inch below the low mark.

WYO7.3

Reaction score
Looks like your degas bottle was a little to full from looking at the pics. Maybe it just self corrected the fluid level with a little puking. Most of us run it at or about an inch below the low mark.

That is some good news. I just did a complete coolant flush and have been adding to the top line cold every time I've noticed it down. I will keep an eye on it and let it keep self adjusting for a while

Nic

Reaction score
Keep it below the cold fill line. Less pressure on the heads like these guys said. Definitely have the cap checked. A local diesel shop or stealer ship would do it for free Im sure. GL

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
Buy a new cap, warm it up good, peel the carpet back and stand of the throttle with both feet while pulling up real hard on the steering wheel.. If it doesn't puke then your good to go!

WYO7.3

Reaction score
Buy a new cap, warm it up good, peel the carpet back and stand of the throttle with both feet while pulling up real hard on the steering wheel.. If it doesn't puke then your good to go!

Maybe I'll even put a bag over the air filter and video it to see how much black smoke It will make hahaha

Dzchey21

Reaction score
yeah try them things, if you did the coolant flush recently it could def be from that. Just replace the cap and keep it about an inch low

Boosted6.4

Reaction score
Hopefully it's just that it was overfilled. I never got the memo of an inch below the line, filled mine up above it...and now I have a leaking radiator when the truck is shut off. It's a minuscule amount so I'm just keeping an eye on the level and it doesn't go down, been like that for months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WoodBoy

Reaction score
Looks like from the pic he has the older bottle so the fill line is already too high... I think my line is about half an inch above the seam where the bottle is put together

rray37375

Reaction score
Things to worry about before head gaskets:
Bad radiator cap
Leaking degas bottle
Overfilled degas bottle

I had all three of the above at one time or the other. When I blew my EGR I just had the whole truck bulletproofed. Never blew the head gaskets according to the mechanic.

WYO7.3

Reaction score
So it's ok to have coolant lower than that line entering the bottle on the front? Not sure what it's for just didn't want to introduce a bunch of air into the system.

WYO7.3

Reaction score
Just an update I have my coolant about 1-1.25 inches below the cold lines and turned the h and s up ran it though it's paces and had zero coolant puking. Thank you guys you saved me!

gerald.d.dunbar

Reaction score
Yeah. If the Stealership does the work, they'll install a nifty sticker on the degas bottle that shows where the coolant level should be and it says to disregard the factory tank markings. Our shop truck is always taken there and they did it when the EGR cooler took a dump

KBMKVIII

Reaction score
6.4 just having a 6.0 moment lol hope all ends well for you.

Latest posts

Members online