what fluid? SP or LV? Built trans

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
What fluid y'all running in your built transmissions? Just got my Elite stage 4 with tow upgrade in and am ready to fill with oil. In 08 Ford ran the LV? Then switched to SP? In 09.. I may be backwards on that but you get the idea.. Not sure which to go with and of course Elite is closed today.

CT9AIX

Reaction score
I've run lv since it came out in my built tranny and have had no issues

RNally

Reaction score
You can still by SP from dealers. Whatever they changed in LV I dont know, but I do know as soon as I've flushed a trans with LV and driven it, the fluids looks dirty already.

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
Ok, read a lot of stuff online about the torque shift losing clutches shortly after switching from SP to LV. Being unsure of the clutch pack material and solenoids used in my Elite trans, I thought ide ask. Can I use about anything than? Im a full SYN kinda guy but not a trans expert... What clutches would I have in there? What's the best fluid? Im not worried about saving a buck..

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
Interesting. Ide have thought that to. I just called Elite and was told to run Dexron 3 also. Wonder if someone can explain the reason behind this..

White_monster

Reaction score
I've always ran dextron 3 in my built trans. Last trans went 4 years not an issue. New trans from elite hot the same non syn dextron 3. Tried a synthetic dextron 3 and was getting some slip and excess heat.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
Yeah in stock form. I don't think that he really know what's the best for custom clutch material, as opposed to someone that builds trans and knows what works for them
I didn't say anything at all about the clutch material. I agree that I don't know about the custom clutch material and if it is/is not compatible with any specific fluid.

Go back and read my post to see why I said I would not run anything other than MERCON SP or MERCON LV in a TorqShift.

V-Ref

Reaction score
Yeah in stock form. I don't think that he really know what's the best for custom clutch material, as opposed to someone that builds trans and knows what works for them
Easy princess...."I think he really know" probably just a tish more about power transmission engineering than anyone posting in this thread. Just because it's been done....doesn't make it a good idea...but if it's what works for you...go for it!

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
The Valvolene dex merc 3 does say it's compatable with transmissions requiring SP and or LV fluids.

Latest posts

Members online