What is the best cam

Smokyred

Reaction score
Camless engines FTW! Infinately variable timing, overlap, and duration. . .

-Michael

I've got a camless engine at work right now, and the only thing infinite aboiut it is the time it'll take to get it started the way it sits, lol.

The best can is one that makes my truck run, and right now that's all I care about.

Dave

Gearhead

Reaction score
I've sold probably 15 stage 1s and 6 stage 2s and haven't had any complaints from anyone that wasn't tuning related and fixed. Running a stage 1 in my new engine in my daily driver and can tell you it does what I wanted it to do and more.

Charles

Reaction score
A good cam?

One that produces measured power increases in the intended range it was designed for.

Key word being measured.

Gearhead

Reaction score
I'm going to step up my nozzles now that i really have a hard time making any smoke once im above 1500 rpms. And i just didn't simply throw a bunch of exhaust volume to the turbo to make this happen either. Boost is actually DOWN crusing and so are EGTs and I had to pull timing from a non cammed motor thus telling me there is more oxygen getting into the combustion chamber so I can delay the injection event since burn rate went up.

Gearhead

Reaction score
Stock. "Keep it simple stupid" It works.....

I'd guarantee your fuel only numbers will improve by a good amount if you put a well designed cam in that thing. Nitrous makes up for a lot, especially since you can still make power injecting fuel past 30 degrees ATDC because of the crazy burn rate lots of nitrous brings to the table.

Charles

Reaction score
That's the thing though... our available injection rate isn't really any better suited for much higher operating rpm than our stock cam profiles.

By the time you start making big power the required time to inject the necessary fuel with a Heui just isn't going to happen up top, making profile changes targeting those regions largely wasted.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
I will be installing one this summer when i finish up my engine build....

Just havent decided which one ill go with, luckily there is more than 2 options now!

Gearhead

Reaction score
That's the thing though... our available injection rate isn't really any better suited for much higher operating rpm than our stock cam profiles.

By the time you start making big power the required time to inject the necessary fuel with a Heui just isn't going to happen up top, making profile changes targeting those regions largely wasted.

Right, but with 200% nozzle and above, the injection rate is good enough to see a fuel only gain in power for sure with the stage 2 but even with a baby nozzle, the airflow overall can be improved with just the ramp rates on my stage 1 compared to stock and the fact that is doesn't contaminate the intake when drive pressure is greater than boost. I wish I could have driven up to TS this year to let you go for a ride. It's really hard to explain, but I purposely kept the same injectors and turbo with the fresh motor with the cam. It is a completely different truck under the curve and towing.

389sixpack

Reaction score
I've sold probably 15 stage 1s and 6 stage 2s and haven't had any complaints from anyone that wasn't tuning related and fixed. Running a stage 1 in my new engine in my daily driver and can tell you it does what I wanted it to do and more.
Having seen your Stage 1 (and that looks good), can you tell me the difference between the Stage 1 and Stage 2 - ramp, overlap, duration?

Charles

Reaction score
Those sorts of gains are something I've often wondered if we couldn't get with simple rocker ratio adjustments.

Gearhead

Reaction score
Having seen your Stage 1 (and that looks good), can you tell me the difference between the Stage 1 and Stage 2 - ramp, overlap, duration?

wider LSA (to keep overlap still less than stock), .055 more valve lift, and 10 degrees more duration at .050 on both sides (aggressiveness about the same as the stage 1). The exhaust closing event starts to intrude on the piston so that's why it has to get a flycut for the exhaust valve only. There is no reason to open the intake valve any earlier than it does with a stock cam since the cylinder volume is at the minimum and there is no room to stuff air in anyway.

You have ridden in a truck with my stage 1?

Last edited:

389sixpack

Reaction score
wider LSA (to keep overlap still less than stock), .055 more valve lift, and 10 degrees more duration at .050 on both sides (aggressiveness about the same as the stage 1). The exhaust closing event starts to intrude on the piston so that's why it has to get a flycut for the exhaust valve only. There is no reason to open the intake valve any earlier than it does with a stock cam since the cylinder volume is at the minimum and there is no room to stuff air in anyway.

You have ridden in a truck with my stage 1?
No, not ridden yet. Just the profile, which look good. I will be contacting you for a Stage 2 for the new build.

Gearhead

Reaction score
No, not ridden yet. Just the profile, which look good. I will be contacting you for a Stage 2 for the new build.

The stage 2 starts to come alive at about 1700-1800 rpms where the stage 1 about 1450. Blowby can better answer how it works on the street compared to a stocker.

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
You say its supposed to? Does it? Or did you just recently install it and haven't had time to really test it out?

Just playin' a little devils advocate with your choice of words :D

From what I have been told it will help in the upper rpm range which with a puller is where it will be needed. I have no actual proof that it does help but considering the price I payed for it I figure it wouldn't hurt to through it in and see.

Seemed to work good in the pumpkin......

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online