What's the best CAI that works with the Midwest 15 style intake?

f100cleveland

Reaction score
Wondering what you guys are finding is the best intake setup for the 15+ trucks or the ones that use the midwest 15 style intake? I have a sm65.5 turbo it hooks to so it needs to flow good.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ImAti0n

Reaction score
Heard the NL stage 2 fits the piping perfectly.

f100cleveland

Reaction score
I'm not looking for more power, I'm looking for drive ability. I'll gladly sacrifice top end power for something that drives like stock.

Debating on cutting off the MAF plate, cutting out a section of the pipe, making a 4" pipe that's tapered on both ends and welding it back in place with the MAF mount welded in on the 4" piece.

f100cleveland

Reaction score
How is the stage 2 not driveable?

Gotta be something with my truck (2012) the MAF sensor sensitivity and the 5" pipe. It's got a giant dead spot in the 1700-2100, causes really odd shifting characteristics super lazy off idle, etc. Hacked up the stock intake to make it fit in there and it's a bit smokey but drives and shifts awesome. Working with Morgan on trying to get it resolved and it's getting better for sure. But can obviously tell something isn't right when GH had sent me multiple revisions and then just 100% quit working with me.

I'm not knocking the intake at all, just it isn't happy on my truck. Hopefully Morgan can get it nailed down but I'm just being proactive on possibly having to get a different one.

After finding this out tho, now I really wonder how my ATS would've ran had I tried the stock with that. Oh well.

ImAti0n

Reaction score
Sounds like tuning. I know when I ran GH and didn't have it calibrated for the stage 2 it had a dead spot that you're referring to. I would keep working with whoever your tuner is and get it tuned properly.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
some people are having the identicle problem you are with an s&b , our stage 1 , and even stock. highly doubt its the intake, way too many others out there running well .

08twinturbo

Reaction score
Definitely not intake. I've done these on quite a few. Lol. Never had a missed beat.

T_W6.7

Reaction score
I would definitely keep on the tuner, last I head GH was giving up on the higher powered 15-16 pickups because they're so finicky with tuning. I know the guys at Midwest are working with other tuners on these trucks, the files we tried were awesome, except had some goofy CCV code that wouldn't go away

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I would definitely keep on the tuner, last I head GH was giving up on the higher powered 15-16 pickups because they're so finicky with tuning. I know the guys at Midwest are working with other tuners on these trucks, the files we tried were awesome, except had some goofy CCV code that wouldn't go away

gh did not give up, just depends on the mods and limits of the tuning software available .

f100cleveland

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. I had replied in that thread a few times and that thread is what really got me thinking about the tuning/cai. But, Morgan @ Midwest sent me another tweaked file and this one runs like I was expecting it would with the sm65.5!!! What totally blows me away is how basically everyones tunes smoked and smoked bad. Going 50mph and hitting resume for the cruise to go to 70, it would paint the sky black. This thing doesn't puff a bit. Not sure if Morgan pulled some fuel out of it too, or if having an accurate MAF sensor makes that much of a difference. Trans shifting is spot on and egts are lower as well. Thankfully Morgan kept at it and got this thing running hard. Now its time to start adding fueling mods to it.

Hopefully Mike can keep bugging GH for an updated tune cuz I'd like to see how theirs runs just to compare since I paid for it. But does GH actually live tune trucks or how are they getting the tuning info they need? I only ask cuz with the MAF tuning issues I had, all the files they sent me seemed to make it run worse. Also noticed like on the trans files, I'd get one that had a date from like 2013 or 2014 on it and the engine file would totally change its naming convention to e20. So I knew at that point its like pissing in the wind, basically just getting someone elses tune with my vin/device info entered in to make it work.

T_W6.7

Reaction score
gh did not give up, just depends on the mods and limits of the tuning software available .

maybe not, just what I was told for the pickup we were working on that had a weird turbo flutter with very little throttle input and when doing that EBP numbers in the 20's and 30's. Tried to get revisions for weeks, maybe months, then finally got a revision to one tune and it was a lot better than the previous one, but that was just a street file, then we were told GH wasn't going to revise them anymore. Only thing I'm saying is there is some tuning issues with the 15's and rather than throwing hard parts at a problem, would look at tuning. Love your intake btw, sounds awesome with the all the other complimentary parts from midwest

Latest posts

Members online