Which injector size recommended?

TyCorr

Reaction score
From what I've been told from some pretty reputable guys around the message boards, you never wanna run your tranny temps over 200 degrees for any length of time. Those temps put a beating on your fluid. With my 6.0 cooler, the lowest I run is about 140 degrees, and the hottest is about 180. Usually stay about 80 degrees above ambient.

This is pure bs. I know because ive DONE way worse. Ive got the trans up to 280° before. Got the truck stuck in mud with 38" tires and a loaded trailer. When I got it unstuck, it was 280 at least. The fluid was burnt, no arguments there. But I changed it that night and that trans lived another 140k miles. Overheated many times after that. Once I put synthetic fluid in, it never burned the fluid anymore but would still get hot. Sometimes you arent moving enough for coolers to matter.

My experience was corroborated by mark kovalsky and he said the temp thresholds are higher than internet folklore has propagated.

Is it good to burn fluid? No is 220degrees bad? Not at all. Is 250? Yea, for long periods.

I like the guys with stock trucks who run auxiliary coolers and brag about how it only hits 140 in the hottest summer conditions. Good way to rot a trans out 75% of the year with cold, wet fluid.

mandkole

Reaction score
These are different applications, but when we had the motorhome with the 3000 series Allison and retarder, fluid temps regularly got over 200 in the summer when the trailer was in tow and you were decending a grade with the retarder on. You learn to not get crazy with the retarder and it quickly cools (water over oil cooler).

Also, Allison will not even change the fluid unless its found there is sufficient debris or property change in the fluid. Fluid color does not matter as it has nothing to do with its condition. A filter change, top off of what the filter displaced, and you're good to go for another 50K.

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
This is pure bs. I know because ive DONE way worse. Ive got the trans up to 280° before. Got the truck stuck in mud with 38" tires and a loaded trailer. When I got it unstuck, it was 280 at least. The fluid was burnt, no arguments there. But I changed it that night and that trans lived another 140k miles. Overheated many times after that. Once I put synthetic fluid in, it never burned the fluid anymore but would still get hot. Sometimes you arent moving enough for coolers to matter.

My experience was corroborated by mark kovalsky and he said the temp thresholds are higher than internet folklore has propagated.

Is it good to burn fluid? No is 220degrees bad? Not at all. Is 250? Yea, for long periods.

I like the guys with stock trucks who run auxiliary coolers and brag about how it only hits 140 in the hottest summer conditions. Good way to rot a trans out 75% of the year with cold, wet fluid.

Maybe, maybe not. I wasn't going to take any chances. Plus everybody and their brother recommends the 6.0 cooler and a valve body as a bare minimum for tranny longevity. Figured I'd rather be safe than sorry. I'm 180,000 miles into my 6.0 cooler with ZERO issues towing often.

psduser1

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure most modern synthetic trans fluids will tolerate higher temps. Clutch material, maybe not quite so much.
Higher temps meaning over 220. How often, and how long? Cheaper to change fluid, for sure.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I made it 200+ towing always. Its not maybe. It was bs. 200 degrees is not even a mentionable temperature in damaging a 4r100 or the fluid. Do it all day, doesnt matter.

Jomax

Reaction score

My 2015 hit 195 trans temp with no trailer.. just crusing. I agree on the 200 temp not being too high.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Jomax

Reaction score
Jomax when did you get a 15? I still thought you were just looking...

got one saturday. Went to Ford for kicks, saw one exactly how I wanted and walked away with what I think was a great deal.

20150228_191038.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

ConcordBobbah97

Reaction score
I already have the VB and literally shifts the same as my brothers BTS, tires are aready junk from the crazy shifts! I baught track bars today. I will look into acquiring a 4r100. I already have a trans gauge, just waiting for winter to pass so I can some different wiring ( I cant pull it in the garage, too much supplies inside for building my house in NH), I digress, the cooler was a gift, my trans really only gets hot in the summer time, I was putting it in because it was free and for support. and BAMFO, how much for the wicked wheel 2? will it fit my turbo?

BAMF0816

Reaction score
I already have the VB and literally shifts the same as my brothers BTS, tires are aready junk from the crazy shifts! I baught track bars today. I will look into acquiring a 4r100. I already have a trans gauge, just waiting for winter to pass so I can some different wiring ( I cant pull it in the garage, too much supplies inside for building my house in NH), I digress, the cooler was a gift, my trans really only gets hot in the summer time, I was putting it in because it was free and for support. and BAMFO, how much for the wicked wheel 2? will it fit my turbo?

if you have the stock turbo, the GT38 or (GTP38), then yes it will fit it. its the one from diesel site. I checked for clearance issues upon install, there was none. might have 10k miles on it. send me a pm on price(I don't want to get beat up by the internet police), but im thinking about less than one half the cost of new, shipped.

Latest posts

Members online