Which one is the best option?

FarmWithAFord

Reaction score
Whats up guys? So, I'm really looking to get into a 6.4 or a 6.7. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like a 6.7 is gonna happen right now because they're a little to expensive.. However, I have found some really good looking 6.4's and I've always loved them. I'm having trouble deciding what I should do though. I want to buy one but should I look for one with studs already done? I've found plenty with ******s and tuners done but that all makes me nervous without studs. I would want to get them done ASAP. On the other hand, I found a truck with a bad motor in it for a pretty good price in my opinion. The guy hasn't torn into the motor. So would I be better off to find a truck thats already studded, find a truck without studs and baby it until I can get it studded, or look into buying one with a trashed motor and just build the whole thing from the ground up? The piston issue also worries me:poke: Thanks for the input guys!
-Drew

FarmWithAFord

Reaction score
And clearly there's a huge difference in power between buying a truck with studs or building a motor. I realize that. But, budget wise, it's gonna be around the same I think. Maybe the build being a little bit more money because of having to build the tranny as well.

wiseguy

Reaction score
best bet is get 6.4 with bad motor. 6.4 are short life motor. when they go bad they are all bad. It amazes me they run at all. That said usually you can buy a 08-10 pretty reasonable with bad motor. a new complete is 18k installed used are usually close to 10k so the market usually reflects it. if the motor is bad usually subtract 10k from book value. If you can do your own work you can build pretty nice motor for 15k. then you starting off fresh with new motor. just because a 6.4 runs good doesn't mean the engine is any good more likely a time bomb. pretty much every thing in the valve train is wore out after 50,000 miles. Stick dial bore gauge in the holes will almost scare you after 100,000. about the only thing not out of spec is crankshafts IF they don't spin a bearing.

NY_Mott

Reaction score
Doing your own work and 15k invested to get a "pretty nice" motor, What do you consider pretty nice? Seems a bit high to me.

Just my .02 but I'd say if the block and heads can me cleaned up and reused you should be able to make a reliable motor for 10 or so, and that's with adding some goodies.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

wiseguy

Reaction score
coated hd pistons 1200
front cover & water pump 800
oil cooler 300
rockers 400
lifters 200
push rods 250
camshaft 700
bearings 500
gaskets 600
studs 600
rod bolts 200
valve springs 500
new heads 2400 if old heads not cracked too bad 1800 to properly build them
i personally would not reuse 100,000 mile hpfp and injectors out of truck with bad motor hpfp 900 injectors 2000
new sensors ebp, iat, camshaft, crankshaft 200
fluids filters 200
thermostats hoses 150
plus hope the block is not hurt only need to bore hone ect

TyCorr

Reaction score
Is this deja vu? Seems like this thread existed in a parallel universe.

sootie

Reaction score
Get the six four with the bad motor....you will be doing one regardless so may as well not pay twice for a running motor lol

Latest posts

Members online