Which turbo setup?!?!?!?!

Sledneck57

Reaction score
I've run both the 71 and 72 from Elite and the spoolup of each turbo is almost identical to stock. If I had to say which spooled quicker, I would probably lean toward the 71/72, but that may just be the difference in low end power. Who knows. The 72 does make quite a bit more power than the 71. I would expect 30+ horsepower between the 2. Also, the 72 does drop EGTs 50* or so even over the 71. You really couldn't go wrong with either, but if you can swing the 72 setup, do it.

So your suggesting the 72 with the stocky hp or your 72/59 setup

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
JD's truck made the power numbers with just the 72. We are in the process of testing a bunch of different vgt (high pressure) turbos to see what works best but on his truck it was the stock VGT. The Tow-Power + turbo set has a larger turbine wheel in the VGT which makes the need for a wastegate less.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
i sent dave at swamps a email, recently, asking about a comparison between the tow-powers and his crossbow's.

he claimed, aside from the builder as elite uses precision and i forgot to ask who swamps uses, the tow-power set from elite was identical to his crossbow's. same wheels in both turbo's, in both sets of turbo's. billet, 71/59, yada yada yada. identical.

elite has a "exclusive" wheel design with the 72, though.

then to go one farther, even if you get 20-30 hp extra from elites over swamps, there is still the matter of the $1300ish price difference.

you can do alot of other things with that $1300.

both companies are well known, make great products, and will back anything they sell.

just my $.02

B585Ford

Reaction score
JD's truck made the power numbers with just the 72. We are in the process of testing a bunch of different vgt (high pressure) turbos to see what works best but on his truck it was the stock VGT. The Tow-Power + turbo set has a larger turbine wheel in the VGT which makes the need for a wastegate less.

Do you have any numbers on the 71 or 72 in terms of what the HP turbo upgrade did to reduce EBPs?

Black_Lightning91

Reaction score
On stock fuel, do you all think the 72 will spool quicker than the 71? Does everyone agree that EBPs will be a little higher on the 72 vs 71 if he is running the stock HP turbo (at or near WOT)?

I been amazed at how much my EGTs have dropped....I would assume the 72 will run even cooler.[/QUOTE]

I disagree on the EBP unless it's a tighter turbine housing or smaller turbine wheel. A turbo is two things; A fan that is driven and produces power, and a fan that does work and takes power. The turbine side is just as crucial as compressor. Since we are talking about EBP and EGT's it safe to say the turbine side is going to be the key point. The very slightly larger compressor shouldn't create much if any difference in EBP. Also with people saying the 72 has lower egt's than the 71 it leads me to believe it breaths a little better.

B585Ford

Reaction score
On stock fuel, do you all think the 72 will spool quicker than the 71? Does everyone agree that EBPs will be a little higher on the 72 vs 71 if he is running the stock HP turbo (at or near WOT)?

I been amazed at how much my EGTs have dropped....I would assume the 72 will run even cooler.

I disagree on the EBP unless it's a tighter turbine housing or smaller turbine wheel. A turbo is two things; A fan that is driven and produces power, and a fan that does work and takes power. The turbine side is just as crucial as compressor. Since we are talking about EBP and EGT's it safe to say the turbine side is going to be the key point. The very slightly larger compressor shouldn't create much if any difference in EBP. Also with people saying the 72 has lower egt's than the 71 it leads me to believe it breaths a little better.[/QUOTE]

As I said earlier, I definitely would think the 72 would run cooler (and JD confirmed) because it would flow more air. I am still learning when it comes to understanding all of the factors that affect EBPs, but my concern with the EBPs being higher with the 72 was due to the stock HP turbo becoming a bottleneck. Everyone seems to agree that the Tow X atmo (76 mm wheel but it is BB turbo) would raise EBPs and I would think the BB makes it at least as efficient as the 72 billet JB and I would expect it to flow more air than the 72. Does anyone have any definite numbers on the EBPs of a 72 vs. 71 with a stock HP turbo? I am just trying to confirm that I understand this concept.

Latest posts

Members online