wierd knocking sound

early99powerstroke

Reaction score
got an early 99 7.3 powerstroke 178k miles. started it up one day and after it started to warm up it started making a LOUD knocking sound. I installed a riffraff diesel FPRX fuel crossover and it quieted down alot, but the sound is still slightly there if I listen carefully. I also have small amount of blue smoke under heavy acceleration with my chip turned up. This is really worrying me.... I haven't done a compression check yet(but will be soon, kinda scared...) I did a contribution test and it passed (don't know how reliable a contribution test is). Any ideas to what is causing this? worn Injector O-rings, bad injector, worn piston rings, scarred cylinder wall? All ideas and theories are welcomed. I just want to track down this problem....

early99powerstroke

Reaction score
When I flipped the oil cap upside down itll just on the oil fill tube until the vibration from the motor causes it to slowly vibrate off which I don't believe the pressure from the blow by caused cuz there really doesn't seem to be any pressure. My truck does seem to have some blow by out of the oil fill tube. Is that normal for 7.3 powerstrokes?

hawgdoctor

Reaction score
How do the injectors sound on a buzz test? Are they all pretty equal? What does your fuel pressre look like? How old is the filter? How about shaft play in the turbo?

early99powerstroke

Reaction score
changed fuel filter a few days ago cuz it was extremely black, don't know what my fuel pressure is, buzz test sounded equal on all injectors, passed contribution test. What is wierd is that after changing my fuel filter the knock got really loud after starting the truck up but quieted down after a few mins (maybe the air bleed out due to my riffraff fprx). Hopin my compression is fine...

Reaction score
Just throwing this out, I know awhile ago working on a guys truck he brought to a buddy and myself saying he could hear a slight knock to it. When we go the truck we could barley hear it as well. We traced it down to an injector then pulled that injector moved it with one that was not giving a little knock and the knock followed the injector. Have you pulled your valve covers at all? Or is the knock not even coming from there? Like you said injectors can loose o rings ect, Or internaly wich I know nothing about. Good luck man

moose99psd

Reaction score
ive never heard a "knocking" from bad injector orings, or read about it. and i had all 8 bad orings when i changed mine. sounds like you have an injector issue. if it quieted down after making mods to the fuel side, try adding a fuel addative like schaeffers and see what happens.

early99powerstroke

Reaction score
Ok update. I pulled injectors 4,6, and 8. I replaced all the O rings and copper washers on them. I didn't pull injector 2 because its brand new and was replaced about half a year ago. I wanted to pull the passenger side but didn't have time. After replacing the injector O rings I put the injectors back in a different order to see if it made a difference and it did but not in a good way.... The knock got slightly louder...and the blue smoke is still emitting from my tail pipe... Was it possible that I didn't get the injectors to seat all the way in? I'm gonna do the passenger side and see if it makes a difference. Anyone got an idea of what this means? Also is it possible to have a bad injector that the buzz test and contribution test wouldn't be able to pick up?

Reaction score
Ok update. I pulled injectors 4,6, and 8. I replaced all the O rings and copper washers on them. I didn't pull injector 2 because its brand new and was replaced about half a year ago. I wanted to pull the passenger side but didn't have time. After replacing the injector O rings I put the injectors back in a different order to see if it made a difference and it did but not in a good way.... The knock got slightly louder...and the blue smoke is still emitting from my tail pipe... Was it possible that I didn't get the injectors to seat all the way in? I'm gonna do the passenger side and see if it makes a difference. Anyone got an idea of what this means? Also is it possible to have a bad injector that the buzz test and contribution test wouldn't be able to pick up?

Sounds like you got a bad if not a few injectors. Where did you have your last injectors done buy? When re installing ur injectors, while seating them, did each one feel like it bottomed out eventually? They should and the heads of the injectors should damn near be flush with you rocker arms.
As far as a buzz test. They do nothing but tell you if the injector is firing. Does not tell you what's going on internally and what the injector itself is flowing and so on.
You got a bad injector somewhere. Have you tried unplugging each injector individually with the valve covers off and listen to how the truck runs and idles through each injector.
Good luck keep us posted and if you got any other questions.

early99powerstroke

Reaction score
Well I've decided to do a compression test on my motor. Can anyone give me an idea of what my specs should be such as an acceptable range? I also remember someone saying that my elevation will have an effect on my compression readings? Also how many times do I crank the motor over? Is there any fuses I should pull out before doing so? Thanks.

Reaction score
I know everyone has different opinions on what a good to not so good compression reading is.
Just make sure that you dont have 1 cylinder 10psi off from the rest or Huston....we have a problem.

neverkickn

Reaction score
I know everyone has different opinions on what a good to not so good compression reading is.
Just make sure that you dont have 1 cylinder 10psi off from the rest or Huston....we have a problem.

I wouldn't be that concerned with a 10 psi difference, it is a percent variation that you look for. A common acceptable max percent difference that I have read is 15%. Understand that that is ideal but your engine may fire and run fine with a percent difference even higher than that.

You know you had oil in the fuel so you know that you have an oring or internal injector failure so why not just change all of the injectors out as a set and be done with it, assuming you have decent compression.

As far as the smoke, it will do that for a few miles if you managed to get oil/fuel into the exhaust manifolds during the injector swap.

Reaction score
I wouldn't be that concerned with a 10 psi difference, it is a percent variation that you look for. A common acceptable max percent difference that I have read is 15%. Understand that that is ideal but your engine may fire and run fine with a percent difference even higher than that.

You know you had oil in the fuel so you know that you have an oring or internal injector failure so why not just change all of the injectors out as a set and be done with it, assuming you have decent compression.

As far as the smoke, it will do that for a few miles if you managed to get oil/fuel into the exhaust manifolds during the injector swap.

Really? They way I took it was if all your cylinders checked out good, but you had that one cylinder 10psi lower then the rest, would be a sign of bad motor compression. As Im still new to this in depth on these motors. Just stating as what I have been told.
I 100% agree with you on the injectors. I also like to tell friends and people after driving with new sticks, to change your oil sooner than later from fuel being where it shouldnt and what not.

Latest posts

Members online