Worst a trans range sensor will do

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
Now that I have my truck rolling and completed, I remember how much this bucking had driven me NUTS For thoughs who remember my thread. It's seems as if almost the buck is worse that it has sat for 3 months.either that or I'm just used to my little 4.0 ranger haha

Any way, I don't have reverse lights any longer(for almost a year now) and I have reason to believe it's the range sensor. Could a range sensor cause a a fuel buck like I have be experiencing for the past year? I'm driving to Montana from mass this Tuesday and it will get real old real fast.

For thoughs who don't know what the hell I'm talking about. I.pulled my motor for new heads and upgrades, I tried new harnesses, injectors computers sensors, chips, tunes and even another motor thinking it was my new heads. you name it and the truck still bucks going down the road under no engine load.

JD3020

Reaction score
My truck does the same thing when cruising under very little load, it'll buck horribly until you give it some more throttle put more of a load on it. But i think my issue is in the tuning. AFAIK the PCM never knows, or doesn't care what gear the trans is in. Does the speedo bounce at all?

TyCorr

Reaction score
If your reverse light are out then you probably need a trs anyway but if you change it out and the bucking stops, yaaaay for you. My trs is currently shti(its not out of adjustment because my lights stopped coming on with NO work being done on or near the trs) but I dont get any other ill.effects from it.

What's your theory on it being the cause of bucking? That sounds like an electronic problem under the valve cover that only manifests at low rpm cruising when throttle is applied.

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
the speedo does bounce a little but only between 37 and 40 it will flutter then its solid everywhere else. I spoke with another member on here yesterday that was having similar issues, he said the best advice was to buy AE then data log when driving and see where its bucking then send to my tuner(s).

In all honesty i think the truck is just having an oh chit moment and getting TOO much fuel going down the road and its cutting cylinders at random to slow down fuel delivery. this will buck is at any given speed and any RPM, its only load based when the motor doesnt have enough or just isnt working hard enough.

I was reading that mass fuel delivery and desired (or somewheres along them lines) can or will need to be tweaked. My ICP and PW have already been tweaked several times by gearhead as he is well aware of what this is doing.

The only time i can get this to stop is when i have enough of a load on the motor IE a hill or pulling at trailer to fuel past and it runs great and has a HUGE amount of usable power. What i dont understand is if the motor really is getting to much fuel wouldnt it haze? ive had the cleanest exhaust ive had in years now

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.