WVO where to start?!?

Pbguy420

Reaction score
Hey guys I just recently stumbled upon the massive info on wvo. I've done a few searches and can't find a good full blown description of the whole process cost, benefits, production times.... If you guys could give me a link to a good place to learn everything about it without having to read thru all these forums about particular wvo questions...

I'm wondering a few things off the bat.... I understand the kits are expensive, but what are basic average prices for the following-

In vehicle wvo system
Wvo production system
And avg cost per gallon once your set up.
Do you also get similar mpg and hp ratings running it?

Another question, I'm new to diesel as well... And upgrading my newly purchased 01 f250 7.3l slowly for performance... No it will never see a sled pull maybe a strip once or twice for fun but I do like it to be fast. Can you get the high hp performance with wvo? If not, once I upgrade turbo injectors and all those goodies will wvo run the same as diesel?

If not- what is the added weight on average of a second tank wvo system so I could still burn diesel fit performance and use the wvo for daily driving.

I'm about to get a decent bonus here and just started upgrading my truck, I drive 60 miles minimum a day, so if it's substantially cheaper to run and I will save money over the life of the truck is love to do it.

Thanks for the help and I'm still slapping myself for waiting so long to switch to diesel!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snake

Reaction score
Couple of good sites to check out for info:

www.biofuelstechnologies.com

www.frybrid.com

To answer some of your questions, a filtering set up can be built for as little as a few hundred dollars or as much as a couple thousand. Depends on your needs and what you feel comfortable with. A kit from the company in my first link will set you back about $4k, but what you save is time, effort, and frustration over piecing together your own kit for less money. Performance upgrades (injectors, turbo, programming, etc) are still possible and will not have to be modified because you're running wvo. You will lose some hp when running wvo instead of diesel, but not much. Maybe 5-10% at most and closer to 5% instead of 10%. Fuel economy will drop 1-2 mpg at most, but who cares when your fuel is free or close to it?

After buying everything, your cost per gallon depends on how much you have to pay for your oil. If you get it for free, its almost free to process - pretty much its the electricity you need to run a centrifuge or water heater.

glamis

Reaction score
oil...............theres no oil left
do wmo instead
way cheaper
way easyer
and i havent heard as many it wrecked my sh!zzz storys

Snake

Reaction score
No oil left? Actually its the exact opposite now that the bio tax credit expired.

How's your truck running on wmo Glamis? :poke:

glamis

Reaction score
No oil left? Actually its the exact opposite now that the bio tax credit expired.

How's your truck running on wmo Glamis? :poke:

ok,it seems to run alot better with a 1/3 of a tank of d2
but hey even at that...IM SAVVVVVING :)

Pbguy420

Reaction score
I'm having a hell of a time finding oil.... Everyone sells it to valley proteins who wont return my calls

glamis

Reaction score
I'm having a hell of a time finding oil.... Everyone sells it to valley proteins who wont return my calls

what i said,besides there SEEMS to be a greater component failer with useing wvo...like i said it SEEMS

Mdub707

Reaction score
Greater part failure using WVO? It seems almost every thread I read on here or PSN about using WMO there are some sort of motor issues, or trying to get the right blend etc etc. How many times did some of these guys yank injectors, rebuild injection pumps etc too?

I collect my oil, filter it (which takes maybe 30 minutes of my time) and put it in my vegistroke tank and go. No parts failures at all related to my WVO use at this time...

My point is, it's not fair to point fingers at either, there are WAY too many variables, ie fuel quality (oil quality in this case) who and how it's filtered, how it's run, the condition of the truck before, and so on.

glamis

Reaction score
i wasent pointeing fingers
i was pointing a noob to go and read,all the postes in this section.

we have cokeing issues no dought,but our oil is easy to get
your guys have o-ring failiers and gumming problems.
theres alot more guys doing veg,so it would figure theres gonna be more horror storys associated with veg,
but the issues and failiers i have heard and read about,lead me to the conclusion
that useing veg is alot more problematic.
my post said it SEEMS like,i didnt state it as fact...

it;s my opnion,just like everyone here has an opnion.
and of the problems i have read about on both sides,i would rather fix the problems that arise from useing wmo

Pbguy420

Reaction score
I can read the debates elsewhere guys thanks for the input but don't get into it here.... Mdub? Where do you get your oil? I've checked fast food, restaurants etc around here everyone sells to a biodiesel company

Glamis, you get your stuff from oil change places or what?

Like said before I get too in depth into either I need to find a supply of one or the other first or it's a waste of time

From what I've found it seems that I'm hearing more people not liking the idea of WMO, just bc they are weary of the idea, not because of any experience.

Mdub707

Reaction score
I'm against putting anything other than diesel into my diesel tank. I think no matter what fuel source you decide to use, the truck just needs to be set up to run it. The gumming and o-ring issues glamis is speaking of is probably from guys running WVO in their main diesel tank, which is an incredibly stupid idea. (just WVO, not bio...)

PBguy, a bunch of local restaurants. The chain one's are usually pretty hard to get in to. They're under contract most of the time (not that this means much) and it's typically set up through a corporate office. So the high school kid behind the counter at McDonalds isn't going to know, or care about getting you WVO from their dumpster. Find the mom and pop places. Going to be hard with a big bio manufacturer in your area. Try putting some ads up on craigslist saying you'll collect for free, or pay for quality oil. You might just have to out-bid the bio company. Look for new places opening up. Eat at some places often with good oil. If they see you there all the time with your friends eating their food, they may be more inclined to do business with you. Make it as pain free as possible for them. Maybe there are some not happy with the bio place... offer to clean up their WVO collection area 2x a year or something. I know one guy who lets his premium supply of oil use his truck in a parade once a year to advertise for their business. They get free advertisement with a cool truck, and get to promote that they "recycle locally"... you have to get creative. Become a salesman! This are relationships that need to be built overtime. It can be a tough business!

glamis

Reaction score
i dont care what you end up doing,and im not trying to pick a fight with mdub
ill offer another opnion,not nessarly a better one,just a different one,

this can become incredibly time consumeing,and haveing to go out and build relationships with people just to get permission to get filthy in their grease traps
sounds like a bummer to me,on the other hand,how many places change oil ??
man theres no scaricity to getting wmo,theres a zillion places that have oil
and mostly it;s free for the takeing...

one thing ill say,about eather way you go
have your sh!t toghther,go in there with confidence,like this is a common thing for you to do
keep a low profile,get in and get out.
dont make a mess,if you do clean it right up,clean it up better than it was before you got there
and dont talk about it with everyone you meet,keep it your busness,they dont need to know what your up to...

Last edited:

Mdub707

Reaction score
I agree with Glamis on that, whatever you can do to make life easier on the place you're getting your fuel source from will ultimately make it better for you.

FWIW Glamis, I think your idea of how grease collection works is misguided a bit. First of all, it's illegal to go into the grease dumpster and take oil out of it, since that now belongs to the rendering company. I either pick up oil in the cubies it originally came in, or I set up my own collection barrels (a steel 55 gallon drum on a stand is usually what works for me). The barrels can have a simple drain on the bottom to fill the cubies at my own leisure, or a quick connect fitting to hook to a suction pump and fill a tote or barrel. There is more than one way to skin a cat with this, as I'm sure you're aware. It's only as messy as you make it.

Point taken though, used motor oil is probably easy to come by.

Ultimately it comes down to whatever saves you the most money. Because in the end that's what we're trying to do right? One method will not work for everyone, so just do whatever helps you out the most.

glamis

Reaction score
I agree with Glamis on that, whatever you can do to make life easier on the place you're getting your fuel source from will ultimately make it better for you.

FWIW Glamis, I think your idea of how grease collection works is misguided a bit. First of all, it's illegal to go into the grease dumpster and take oil out of it, since that now belongs to the rendering company. I either pick up oil in the cubies it originally came in, or I set up my own collection barrels (a steel 55 gallon drum on a stand is usually what works for me). The barrels can have a simple drain on the bottom to fill the cubies at my own leisure, or a quick connect fitting to hook to a suction pump and fill a tote or barrel. There is more than one way to skin a cat with this, as I'm sure you're aware. It's only as messy as you make it.

Point taken though, used motor oil is probably easy to come by.

Ultimately it comes down to whatever saves you the most money. Because in the end that's what we're trying to do right? One method will not work for everyone, so just do whatever helps you out the most.

roger that :)

Fenker

Reaction score
I wouldn't touch wmo or tranny fluid even if ihad no fuel out in the middle of nowhere. Its extremely dirty to burn and the fact that there will be metal shavings no matter what unless using a fuge.
honestly I think people running wmo are just waiting for a disaster.
I been running veg for over 80k miles, on injectors with 250k miles on them. I pulled them to put stage 2s in and my injectors look like I ran diesel for all those miles.
people have problems with veg cause there stupid with it. U need heat for veg and a good purge. My filtration cost less than 100$. My v3 was expensive but its paid for itself already twice, at least.
I hate every fact of running wmo, I don't care what anyone says, there are way more proven problem free miles on veg than there is on wmo.

I know ill get bashed for this, but I could care less.
My wvo if always free and abundant. Don't ask chains, ask mom and pop places.

Simone0414

Reaction score
There are just as many restaurants as there is garages. I guess the difference could be that WVO/bio is more widely known & accepted as a fuel then WMO so there is more people trying to get it.

WMO could be a useable fuel but like already stated there is less history on running WMO then WVO. But there was a time not too long ago when many of us probably would have laughed at someone running WVO & thought they was crazy.

If I was going to run WMO & it would be in a 2 tank system or cracking it to make diesel. I don't understand why more guys trying to run WMO aren't cracking it. I know safety is a concern but there must be a way to do it safely & then you have a fuel you can dump right in your tank. No blending, no smoke problems, no coked injectors etc.. At the end of the day that seems easier to me. If I wasn't already running WVO & didn't have wayyyyyyyy more then I can ever hope to use that's what I would be looking into.

Latest posts

Members online