ZF5 has issues in reverse

portlandareae28

Reaction score
So I have a ZF5 with a US Gears overdrive behind it, Southbend clutch, etc... When I back into my driveway (short incline, not that steep) if I am not PERFECT with the clutch it feels like the drivetrain just loads up with torque until I push the clutch in to keep from hitting the garage and once the clutch goes down all of that wouund up torque just UNLOADS, and BANGS, and CLANGS and sounds like the drivetrain is going to be sitting in the driveway under the truck by the time it all settles down.. Any ideas on where to start? Trans mount is new, carrier bearing was done last year, shock are probably due. Anyother info I can give to help, please just ask..

portlandareae28

Reaction score
its hard to say, I have had the neighbor back it in so I could watch, and it looks like EVERYTHING is banging fore and aft.

morefuel

Reaction score
I would say that it is just a little axle wrap and when you release the tension the pinion comes up and turns the driveline. There is a little rebound and is just your driveline and gears in your transmission and diff chattering. From what it sounds like, mine does the same thing on a boat ramp. Only way I really know to get rid of it is speed up just a bit and pull it out of gear and coast the last few feet. I could be thinking of a different problem I though.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

portlandareae28

Reaction score
I just checked and I definitely see the pinion coming up, I took one spacer 3/8"-1/2" spacer out of the carrier to see if there was any difference, there may be but it is small at best.

So before everyone starts yelling "traction bars" what basic maintenance needs to be double checked that would eliminate as much axle wrap as possible? I am not against traction bars, but want the truck RIGHT as it was engineered before I add anything. I know the shocks are shot, I am looking to see what is available local today, spring/shackle bushings, bolts seem centered, but the rubber looks dry so I am sure there is potential for improvement there, what else?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.