ZF6 Fluid

ja_cain

Reaction score
Getting ready to change out the fluid in my ZF6 and transfer case and was wondering what people are running these days. Insight from individuals that tow heavy on a regular basis would be great too. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I use Mercon V and Lucas stops slip, I've had that blend in there for 4 years and changed it twice in that time, it shifts quick and smooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeeg02

Reaction score
I bought Ford full synthetic MTF that they have listed for 08-09 zf6. Ford had it in Stock and was ~17 a quart. Plan on putting it in this weekend of my clutch shows up. When I called to order my clutch, they really didn't like the idea of ATF in a manual transmission. And ford changed from it in 08 anyways.

psduser1

Reaction score
Sheaffers alltrans.
I'm due to change the oil, tho, probably try some of the le stuff from Jimmy. I'm running some in a couple pieces of equipment, seems to be onpoint!

co04cobra

Reaction score
Sheaffers alltrans.
I'm due to change the oil, tho, probably try some of the le stuff from Jimmy. I'm running some in a couple pieces of equipment, seems to be onpoint!

Agreed! I really want to try some of Jim's stuff.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Sheaffers alltrans.

I was thinking either Redline D4 or Jim's stuff. Waited to long to order the RL stuff for Friday delivery, so will probably just reach out to Jim and change it next week. How did you like the schaeffer's? Didn't even consider them.

psduser1

Reaction score
I was thinking either Redline D4 or Jim's stuff. Waited to long to order the RL stuff for Friday delivery, so will probably just reach out to Jim and change it next week. How did you like the schaeffer's? Didn't even consider them.

The Schaeffer is good, nothing bad about. Jim just is fairly local, and his service is spectacular.

jim.kukulski.

Reaction score
Thanks for the feel goods fellas. There's a few pulling trucks running LE. Three different fluids too. Everyone seems to have their opinions on straight weight gear oil, ATF high Vis, or synthetic ATF.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Thanks for the feel goods fellas. There's a few pulling trucks running LE. Three different fluids too. Everyone seems to have their opinions on straight weight gear oil, ATF high Vis, or synthetic ATF.

Jim,

The truck is a daily driver that is used to tow 7 to 10k on occasion. I just want something that will protect it better than the stuff I can buy at Wallmart, but I don't want to break the bank either. A higher vis ATF would probably help with the gear rollover too. 10 quarts should be enough to do the transmission and transfer case. Will have enough to add another quart through the shifter if everyone thinks that is a good idea.Let me know what you think and I will contact you sometime in the next couple of days. Thanks!

ja_cain

Reaction score
I waited to long to get in touch with Jim. :( Looks like I'm going to go with the All-Trans Supreme that Psduser1 is running. I found it for $29 a gallon. Joe, do you just run it straight or do you add anything like the Moly EP additive they offer? Thanks again for the suggestion.

psduser1

Reaction score
No additives. I wouldn't get too carried away raising the viscosity, either. There are some pretty tight clearances with these trans, and it could hurt you if you run into cold weather.

ja_cain

Reaction score
No additives. I wouldn't get too carried away raising the viscosity, either. There are some pretty tight clearances with these trans, and it could hurt you if you run into cold weather.
I was thinking just a touch of a higher vis mtf to bring it up to the 8 to 8.5 cst at 100 range. I'll take your advise and just do the overfill and leave it at that. I would love to do the temp sensor too, but I don't have the time to monkey with it this time around.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
All of my oils except engine oil will be Jim's LE stuff from now on. I will go on his say so with it.
why not engine oil? so far everything i have used is great!!

i would still get some from jim even if you think its to late.. just my .02...

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

ja_cain

Reaction score
Alright amigos. I am changing out the old fluid and was wondering if I should try to blow the old fluid out of the lines going to the cooler. I guess I could get some tranny flush which is probably just ipa, but half tempted to just say fuc it and don't worry about it. Any advice would be great and much appreciated.

ja_cain

Reaction score
I usually flush through them with brake clean and air.
Based on you and Joe's recommendations, I used the brake clean and air method. Everything went well, but didn't get to replace the hydros like I wanted. I also want to add the extra quart through the top. Hopefully I can do that in the next couple of days. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Latest posts

Members online