600 HP with the DPF on?

04stroker

Reaction score
Think it can be done for sure but being done with minimal regens would be the hard part. I think with a lot of refined tuning and a few other mods it is possible for sure.

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
I think it can be done as well. I know someone planning to try. I may try myself, and I honestly like the idea if it can be done reliably.

Buck1

Reaction score
From what I seen here 15s most definitely. Us guys with older ones, probably not so much. Definitely good news for the future as things get tighter.

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
From what I seen here 15s most definitely. Us guys with older ones, probably not so much. Definitely good news for the future as things get tighter.

Why not? There are parts available to make an '11-14 plenty capable...

Buck1

Reaction score
True. Guess it depends on tuning. Just viewing it now as I spent the money on tuning/tuner that is currently DPF off to work with aftermarket components, what would be my motivation to put/keep DPF on? Uncle Sam I know will be the motivator.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Uncle same has nothing to do with honestly.

Im sick of punk kids blowing smoke everywhere. I would love to blow the doors off of some old smokey rattle trap 100% smoke free.

This is my goal actually 600 with the dpf present and still tow my camper and goosenecks often.

starting off with a 64mm 2015 turbo, going to add a 25% over injection pump. Keep the tuning as clean as possible. I already have some 2015 maps to go off of.

I agree its going to take some work and it will have to be turned down for towing ect. I think it can be done though and hopefully reliable. The worst thing i have to do is take the dpf off if it doesnt work out...

co04cobra

Reaction score
Being done, and keeping longevitity? That may be the problem right now until tuning comes around more.

bft blue oval boys

Reaction score
I definitely think it's possible as well. But as someone said in another thread, I think whoever does it needs to do the tuning with the dpf off to get the smoke control down pat. I'm sure it will be more laggy than if you were to delete it and through fuel at it sooner but it will be cool for people to not even realize it's diesel lol. Good luck though!

UpstateDieselGuy

Reaction score
I agree. With the presence of urea in the emissions system to help lower demand for EGR I think it is very possible. I would start talking with h&s and SCT and see if they have access to control the emissions functions, not just disable them. You may need to ramp up dosing of the urea for instance. I don't have a truck presently, but what opacity is emitted with a stock truck, sans emissions equipment, no other changes? I would think, initially, it would help to make the fuel and air changes without the exhaust on to visually tune the truck to a point of minimal emissions prior to running the emissions equipment to help with performance and reliability.

Just a thought for tuning, maybe talk with Eric at Innovative as he has been doing a lot of emissions compliant tuning.

The big positive is that Ford did a great job designing the emission support equipment, cooling systems, air flow, etc.

I have have to say that I am excited to see this and can't wait to see the results.

Chris

stevens6.7

Reaction score

Im sick of punk kids blowing smoke everywhere. I would love to blow the doors off of some old smokey rattle trap 100% smoke free.

This is my goal actually 600 with the dpf present and still tow my camper and goosenecks often.

starting off with a 64mm 2015 turbo, going to add a 25% over injection pump. Keep the tuning as clean as possible. I already have some 2015 maps to go off of.

I agree its going to take some work and it will have to be turned down for towing ect. I think it can be done though and hopefully reliable. The worst thing i have to do is take the dpf off if it doesnt work out...

Though I've always associated black some with diesels and also some well modded diesels I'm starting to come around to the idea of the cleaner running diesel trucks! Definitely looking forward to seeing how yours turns out!

Radioflyer

Reaction score

I really like this idea, as much as I don't like what the restrictions have done to these trucks, it would be awesome to see this sort of thing happen with the newer ones! There's been a few guy's who've done compounds on dpf enabled trucks (cummins and dmax iirc) but the longevity is where the factor lacked. We're looking down this route with the LML's..rob's tunes lately have been pretty damn nice and i'm anxiously waiting to see what his next step is for his personal truck. 100 hp tune towing max'd out to edges event he averaged 12mpg (hand calc, w/truck going into regen mode) on mud terrain tires. Hasn't seen any excessive use of DEF fluid either. I have faith in ya and will be watching this closley.

Last edited:

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Being done, and keeping longevitity? That may be the problem right now until tuning comes around more.

Dont worry about the tuning side it will be there

I definitely think it's possible as well. But as someone said in another thread, I think whoever does it needs to do the tuning with the dpf off to get the smoke control down pat. I'm sure it will be more laggy than if you were to delete it and through fuel at it sooner but it will be cool for people to not even realize it's diesel lol. Good luck though!

I have a decent plan to do it with the dpf off at first to get some of it working correctly and then as i add fuel to make more power the dpf will come off to get it just right and smoke free as possible.

I agree. With the presence of urea in the emissions system to help lower demand for EGR I think it is very possible. I would start talking with h&s and SCT and see if they have access to control the emissions functions, not just disable them. You may need to ramp up dosing of the urea for instance. I don't have a truck presently, but what opacity is emitted with a stock truck, sans emissions equipment, no other changes? I would think, initially, it would help to make the fuel and air changes without the exhaust on to visually tune the truck to a point of minimal emissions prior to running the emissions equipment to help with performance and reliability.

Just a thought for tuning, maybe talk with Eric at Innovative as he has been doing a lot of emissions compliant tuning.

The big positive is that Ford did a great job designing the emission support equipment, cooling systems, air flow, etc.

I have have to say that I am excited to see this and can't wait to see the results.

Chris

The best part is these trucks have great control of smoke ect already. So the tuning should come fairly easy. And in all reality if you dont change the low boost fueling too much it shouldnt really "smoke" internally. Like stated it might be a little laggier with it on but i can deal with that.

I want to stab the throttle fully loaded and not have my camper and boat covered in black.

Yellow1000

Reaction score
I like his idea of destroying the old rattle traps with kids behind the wheel blowing smoke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk and ****.

madman1234509

Reaction score
Only concern would be longevity of the DPF. You'd think it would be just like a cat on a car. Running richer tunes clogged them much quicker. I believe it was an issue with the 6.4s and DPF on tunes as well.

lildevil02

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
What/whom are you using for platform/tuning? 600hp is possible, but not on a stock charger, not even a 15 unit. Tuning is where it will make or break it, but keeping it from going into regen often will take lots & lots of time tuning & tweaking.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
What/whom are you using for platform/tuning? 600hp is possible, but not on a stock charger, not even a 15 unit. Tuning is where it will make or break it, but keeping it from going into regen often will take lots & lots of time tuning & tweaking.

If you refer back it will be on a 64mm 2015 unit. I will be tuning it with MCC for now. Dont get me wrong its going to take some time but i think it will be fine. And im sure the 600 hp tune will be a track/dyno tune only or a light right foot to keep it from soot loading.

Keep in mind Morgans 2015 made 540 with the dpf on and superchip tuning...

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Only concern would be longevity of the DPF. You'd think it would be just like a cat on a car. Running richer tunes clogged them much quicker. I believe it was an issue with the 6.4s and DPF on tunes as well.

Thats the thought on increasing the air flow considerably. IF the truck is relatively smoke free with the DPF off then it shouldnt soot load any worse than a stock truck or a stock tuned truck (which is where i am at now) 400hp with the dpf on