600 HP with the DPF on?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I love you.

I heart you too
This is a cool project, I figured it was a matter of time after they f'd you over that whole warantee crap.

Yeah didnt help matters any esp because its been running so good since i got it back.
Awesome idea cant wait to see how this project turns out.

Definitely on the right track!

Thanks guys, ill keep everyone posted. I have alot going on this weekend so i dont know if i will get it on this weekend or not. But i might start on it later tonight after the trick or treating is done LOL

jcain

Reaction score
Presoak your vbands! Or have an air hammer ready to knockem loose. I didn't do either (im from the west coast desert, I'm still learning how mean rust can be) and fought the **** out of mine for over an hour.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
shouldnt be an issue here everything looks new. long prybar and a hammer go along way on them.

jdgleason

Reaction score
"keeping it stock." "not this time." "i've had it with modded trucks." "getting a gasser."

all these and plenty more have been said. glad to see you excited again.

LOL
Honestly if i wouldnt have had the warranty fiasco at the dealer a few months ago this wouldnt have happened. But yes im glad to be excited again over diesels. I was losing some interest.

Glad to see you're back and excited buddy. Awesome to see what you can do!

RedRice589

Reaction score
I thought about doing the same thing..... and then i kept getting the DEF pumps at truck stops. Got fed up with it. Oh yeah and a year and 3 months and 85k miles sucks to buy fuel and exhaust fkuid but i do miss the peace and quiet.

Jbird

Reaction score
Dont know if this has been said but wouldnt not deleting DPF keep your EBP higher?

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Keeping the dpf on is just like supporting a gay pride parade. I'm all for clean diesel but enough is enough.

Lol

qcfarmer

Reaction score
Is it possible to just use def without a dpf like they do in ag tractors?

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Is it possible to just use def without a dpf like they do in ag tractors?

That is strictly for NOx control not opacity of soot.

Taking Nitrogen dioxide+nitric oxide and turning it into a ammonia base.

CoreyMS

Reaction score
On the ag tractors they are controlling the aoot with fine tuning and the NOx with the def.

Reaction score
Keeping the dpf on is just like supporting a gay pride parade. I'm all for clean diesel but enough is enough.

Lol

Well, unfortunately it is a federal law that we have them. Whether some people want it or not. At least we could have options. That is the purpose. And hey, maybe some day this kind of research can help everyone. Because some day, we will have a VERY hard time deleting emissions. Just like catalytic converters on gas vehicles, everyone used to delete them. Now they are reliable and commonplace. No one even thinks twice.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Well, unfortunately it is a federal law that we have them. Whether some people want it or not. At least we could have options. That is the purpose. And hey, maybe some day this kind of research can help everyone. Because some day, we will have a VERY hard time deleting emissions. Just like catalytic converters on gas vehicles, everyone used to delete them. Now they are reliable and commonplace. No one even thinks twice.

Then use an emissions analyzer if your wanting to really nail it down. Looking in the rear view mirror for opacity check is not research. Sorry. Soot is not the problem per say. They are after carbon monoxide and NOx. The soot load is only a small portion of what they are after believe it or not. There is a reason they are alittle smokey with a dpfon. It's a NOX control. You make one burn nice and clean like you think and your going to be way out of compliance on NOX and CO regardless without an emissions analyzer.

Caterpillars design flaw by design was to increase combustion temp WITH the dpf to cut nox. Trapping particulates happened to be the best way to do it to increase temp.(2 fold operation for the dpf) Then they added an exhaust injector as I'm sure you know. The game is nox control. So when there are some posts on "I'm trying to control nox and convert any amounts of CO to CO2 with a minimum of 93% reduction rate. Then I'll know your being serious about compliance with federal epa regulations that meet state and federal minimum new permits.

I really wish you guys would use an emissions analyzer to do this new era of tuning. And I say that with all means of respect for what Yall are doing. It will put you guys WAY ahead of the curve instead of guessing what it is. And your "tuning" would meet federal regulations since that is the concern.

Fwiw. When the engine is balanced with the proper NOX vs CO output you will find the AFR is spot on. Regardless if your at 600hp or 900 hp. Or 8500hp.

$12k gets a nice analyzer with the proper sensors for diesel application.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Then use an emissions analyzer if your wanting to really nail it down. Looking in the rear view mirror for opacity check is not research. Sorry. Soot is not the problem per say. They are after carbon monoxide and NOx. The soot load is only a small portion of what they are after believe it or not. There is a reason they are alittle smokey with a dpfon. It's a NOX control. You make one burn nice and clean like you think and your going to be way out of compliance on NOX and CO regardless without an emissions analyzer.

Caterpillars design flaw by design was to increase combustion temp WITH the dpf to cut nox. Trapping particulates happened to be the best way to do it to increase temp.(2 fold operation for the dpf) Then they added an exhaust injector as I'm sure you know. The game is nox control. So when there are some posts on "I'm trying to control nox and convert any amounts of CO to CO2 with a minimum of 93% reduction rate. Then I'll know your being serious about compliance with federal epa regulations that meet state and federal minimum new permits.

I really wish you guys would use an emissions analyzer to do this new era of tuning. And I say that with all means of respect for what Yall are doing. It will put you guys WAY ahead of the curve instead of guessing what it is. And your "tuning" would meet federal regulations since that is the concern.

Fwiw. When the engine is balanced with the proper NOX vs CO output you will find the AFR is spot on. Regardless if your at 600hp or 900 hp. Or 8500hp.

my father has developed analytics for emissions for 40 years, that's what he does. the problem I see is opacity matching with turbo and fuel . regen will be an issue unless you want to sacrifice low end power I'm guessing.

Reaction score

I think you overestimate what we are doing. Right now, making power while tuning to allow the dpf to live is a start.

Right now, power sells. If it can make power with dpf on, and not fail an emissions test, then it's an improvement over people running out and deleting right off the bat. We could go on all night about Nox, burning clean and how it actually hurts everything but soot load. There is a lot too it. You and I both know it.

The point is, we know we can delete it and make power. But, if we can actually prove a liveable high performance power range that doesn't take a giant crap in a thousand miles then maybe there will lead to more.

Right now there is no motivation to keep emissions on, other than what the government/warranty dictates. So, whether you respect it or not, we will be moving forward with our "primitive" testing. If it proves fruitful, who knows how far we will take it.

Last edited:

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I think you overestimate what we are doing. Right now, making power while tuning to allow the dpf to live is a start.

Right now, power sells. If it can make power with dpf on, and not fail an emissions test, them it's an improvement over people running out and deleting right off the bat. We could go on all night about Nox, burning clean and how it actually hurts everything but soot load. There is a lot too it. You and I both know it.

The point is, we know we can delete it and make power. But, if we can actually prove a live able high performance power range that doesn't take a giant crap in a thousand miles then maybe there will lead to more.

Right now there is no motivation to keep emissions on other than what the government dictates. So, whether you respect it or not, we will be moving forward with our "primitive" testing. If it proves fruitful, who knows how far we will take it.

most delete for the mileage gain. is that even possible with the dpf present ? doubt it.

powerstroked08

Reaction score
Just a thought, but to keep the egr clean. Can you weld a port after the dpf as the sorce for the egr. That way it can be cleaner air going into the intake?

Latest posts

Members online