2014 Sema project

webb06

Reaction score
would have been easier to just go to the assembly plant and get all the pieces before the truck was put together! haha this is going to be a sick build though

shmoozer

Reaction score
Truck is going to look awesome! It could just be me and my love of all things overkill, but I think replacing the stock running gear with say a set of Rockwells would be really cool to see. I mean it is Sema after all.

-KCCO-

jordan572

Reaction score
Haha, I'll post more this weekend. Maybe tomorrow, there is pretty much no truck to be found right now. Exciting and depressing at the same time, kind of which I would have got to drive it for at least a little bit but it sure is nice working on a clean truck.

jordan572

Reaction score
Man, its gotta be an amazing feeling to be able to do 70-80% (or probably more) of that tear down without getting your hands one bit dirty lol

I hear ya, it took me about 2 minutes to take the downpipe off. Deleting the egr and all the other work will actually be fun now.

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
So not to sound like an idiot but after sema what will you do with the truck? Strictly show truck or will it become a driver or what?

jordan572

Reaction score
So not to sound like an idiot but after sema what will you do with the truck? Strictly show truck or will it become a driver or what?

Idk honestly, I would love to keep it for awhile but the laws in MN are terrible. They enforce them like crazy too so who knows, tickets suck but they are payable, it will become an issue if/when they want to start impounding the truck.

jordan572

Reaction score
Now that the cab and box were out of the way it was time to get into it. First things that had to go were obvious, the exhaust, spare tire, fuel tanks, etc were all taken off before we lifted the engine. Wasn't a bad experience at all getting to work from the topside down for once. One thing that is disappointing however is the fuel tank size on these trucks, if you have a crew cab with a standard box on it you know all about the poor fuel capacity these trucks have. The stock tank will not be going back in, a custom aluminum cell made by PMF suspension will be hanging in the spare tire carrier. Were gaining a little more capacity, looks a lot better and most importantly the upper link arms will be able to cycle without hitting the OE fuel tank.

IMG_0863.jpg

IMG_0864.jpg

With the exhaust and urea tank removed a ton of sensors and other lines could be removed. The exhaust pressure sensors, Nox module, urea supply lines, extra exhaust hangers and other less useful stuff came off for good. You can see in the next picture that there is actually a frame under all of that nonsense.
IMG_0861.jpg

Little design work on the fuel cell,
IMG_0968.jpg

jordan572

Reaction score
The engine, trans and tcase were the next big step to work on. With so much hardware still tied to the engine we were not comfortable hooking onto the motor anywhere. We also wanted to pull it all in one piece instead of breaking it down, ford specs a specific bracket that bolts to the valley of the engine. The entire topside including the turbo has to be pulled to access this area. We weren't liking the sounds of that right now. There was just no point of tearing the motor apart and letting it sit openly exposed for multiple months. When it comes time to do work on the engine I hope to complete that in a timely manner.

So we decided to pull it all together, the engine, trans and tcase in all. Our Ford dealer we buy our parts from laughed at the idea of this but hey we got it. No specific ford hardware was used to pull the motor. We used some rectangular tubing and some other scrap metal we had and made a bracket to lift out the entire assembly. With the aid of an A frame lift and a come along to support the tcase it came out as a whole. I will admit, when the whole thing was up in the air I was pretty stressed until it was sitting on the ground. It would be a complete disaster if you lost it that high up.

IMG_0892.jpg

IMG_0903.jpg

Reaction score
Jordan you are an ANIMAL. This is taking SEMA back to what it should be. Full custom, nothing missed, and not just some bolt on off the shelf stuff.

Looking great so far! The crunch is on!

RSK

Reaction score
this build and project gold digger, make me wanna send my truck back to the body shop and have both axles painted to match my truck. can't wait to see it finished.