2014 Sema project

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Why not cut out the rear tire carrier and install some new cross braces that allow you to tuck that fuel cell up higher and maybe even add a little more capacity?

jordan572

Reaction score
Why not cut out the rear tire carrier and install some new cross braces that allow you to tuck that fuel cell up higher and maybe even add a little more capacity?

I suppose you could but then if you only had a crossmember on the top of the frame rail you would loose a lot of rigidity.

jordan572

Reaction score
So with the cab, box and engine/trans all removed we could finally see what we were working with. Ton of fuel lines, pigtails for emission equipment and fluid lines were still on the truck if you could call it that. We pulled the steering gear, track bar, etc from the front to get ready to throw it up on the stands.
IMG_0960.jpg

IMG_0962.jpg

Not even 50 miles and the tie rod ends, knuckles and the axles are completely orange, everything else was nice and clean however.
IMG_0961-1.jpg

IMG_0934.jpg

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
I suppose you could but then if you only had a crossmember on the top of the frame rail you would loose a lot of rigidity.

I'm not saying put cross members just across the top. I'm saying cut out all that spare tire wasted space and weld in some 2x8? crossmembers that you can use to tuck the fuel cell up higher because it fits cleanly in between.

Kind of like this setup where it was removed on a Chevy truck and made home for some batteries, air tank, and made some new rear shock mounts:

SAM_0114_zps5838e30f.jpg

SAM_0122_zps1c919de0.jpg

jordan572

Reaction score
I'm not saying put cross members just across the top. I'm saying cut out all that spare tire wasted space and weld in some 2x8? crossmembers that you can use to tuck the fuel cell up higher because it fits cleanly in between.

Kind of like this setup where it was removed on a Chevy truck and made home for some batteries, air tank, and made some new rear shock mounts:

SAM_0114_zps5838e30f.jpg

SAM_0122_zps1c919de0.jpg

Certainly could do that, but we have a setup here that we were both and still are happy with. 35 gallons is enough for me, I'm sure we'll use that available space above the fuel cell for something.

CATDiezel

Reaction score

Why not save the time and effort and just order a titan? They hold more than the one they are trying to design anyways.

JDub

Reaction score
Titan makes a tank that mounts in the spare tire location...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smcox1

Reaction score
Should've just ordered the truck in pieces from ford it would've saved some time lol!!

jordan572

Reaction score
Looks like a sweet build. Idk how you guys do it, take a truck apart that has only been together for a month lol

:fustrate:, I drove it home from the dealership, washed it, then drove it to the shop to start tearing it down.

jordan572

Reaction score
Because they said the factory tank would interfere with the new suspension.

You are correct, it would have been an easier alternative to run one of those huge titans but that would interfere with the movement of the upper link setup.

jordan572

Reaction score
Titan makes a tank that mounts in the spare tire location...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the recommendation, I actually checked that out before we decided on making an all custom cell. That tank hold 30 gallons, required you to cut a 4.75'' hole in your box side or inner box wall and has a unique plumbing setup that I definitely don't feel fits a quality build. PMF spent quite a bit of time designing the cell for this truck, with an incorporated fuel sender, pickup and returns along with a sump and drain setup, I think it is one of the cleanest alternatives we could come up with. The Fass pump should plumb into this tank nicely.

jordan572

Reaction score
Slight derail from the progress on the truck, I got with Josh again at The Diesel Cartel to get some more parts. My plan is to have everything here that needs to be mounted to the frame so we can place everything before disassembly and paint. With an airlift it was borderline mandatory to have at least some type of horns on the build, the air tanks and compressors are necessary anyway. All that is needed is the horns and a valve of some sort. Josh hooked me up with some Nathan K5LA horns, there is plenty of other horn options out there but I wanted one of the loudest and cleanest setups available. Since all 5 horns bolt to one manifold it made sense to go with these horns.

I already knew the horns were going to need some work to look good, they showed up looking pretty ruff. With 3 layers of paint/powder on them they had seen better days,
IMG_1023.jpg

IMG_1032.jpg

Unfortunately our gun cleaner only took the first 2 layers of paint off, the last powder coated layer was on there. We sent them out to get soda blasted, I couldn't believe how they looked just after that. With some more prep work these horns should look awesome all said and done.

IMG_1135.jpg

Reaction score
Slight derail from the progress on the truck, I got with Josh again at The Diesel Cartel to get some more parts. My plan is to have everything here that needs to be mounted to the frame so we can place everything before disassembly and paint. With an airlift it was borderline mandatory to have at least some type of horns on the build, the air tanks and compressors are necessary anyway. All that is needed is the horns and a valve of some sort. Josh hooked me up with some Nathan K5LA horns, there is plenty of other horn options out there but I wanted one of the loudest and cleanest setups available. Since all 5 horns bolt to one manifold it made sense to go with these horns.

I already knew the horns were going to need some work to look good, they showed up looking pretty ruff. With 3 layers of paint/powder on them they had seen better days,
IMG_1023.jpg

IMG_1032.jpg

Unfortunately our gun cleaner only took the first 2 layers of paint off, the last powder coated layer was on there. We sent them out to get soda blasted, I couldn't believe how they looked just after that. With some more prep work these horns should look awesome all said and done.

IMG_1135.jpg

Drooling for some horns like this!