38R & WW2

1ofakind79

Reaction score
Those of you that have a 38r with a WW2 is this the normal fitment? I talked to dieselsite and they told me there should be a larger than normal gap but this seems kinda big to me.
I'm having a low boost problem now and trying to figure out possible causes.

Charles

Reaction score
Any chance that is a wheel for a stock charger and it accidentally got sent out for your 38R?

You have a stock charger you could yank the compressor cover off and check fitment with? Wouldn't be shocked if it fit perfectly.

On Edit:

um..... I can't say that I'm a turbo expert by any stretch... but for a centrifugal compressor, is it my imagination, or are the g'damn blades on that machined wheel not ass backward for a reverse rotation compressor like the 38R?

Last edited:

1ofakind79

Reaction score
I will pull my stock charger apart now. It built 27lbs without a problem. This wheel was in a 38r. My 38r/WW2 combo only builds 7 lbs and smokes horribly.

Charles

Reaction score
Dude..... forget the stock charger.

I swear to God the blades look backward on that wheel. In my mind, that wheel needs to turn clockwise looking at the hub in order to compress air from inducer and fling it out through the exducer into the diffuser and housing.

Your 38R is a reverse rotation charger, so the blades need to be mirrored from that.

Actually if you look in the picture of the 38R wheel with that machined wheel you can see that the Garrett wheel is reversed...

Forget that wheel. Never gonna work. It's like trying to drill a hole with the bit turning backward, lol.

Probably a wheel just accidentally got thrown in the box wherever the machine shop is that's machining those wheels for Bob or something like that.

Anybody else see what I'm talking about?

This picture right here:

It's ass backward.

2013-05-14101253_zpsf7bebeaf.jpg

Last edited:

CanadianPS

Reaction score
If its a38r wicked wheel it's stamped on it. Ill try and upload some pics of mine if I can figur out how

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
It wouldn't matter, if that got tossed in the batch of ww the machine shop could have etched the 38r wicked wheel in it... charles called it tho, those blade are backwards, i can't believe i didnt even see that.

1ofakind79

Reaction score
The second pic I posted is my stock 38r wheel next to the Wicked Wheel.

My whicked wheel didn't say anything neer the nut

Charles

Reaction score
From Bill's thread on the new wheel, here's what they are supposed to look like.

Left is OEM, far right is WW2.

wheels_90_sm.jpg

Charles

Reaction score
Did the bore fit well? I can't believe the pilot bore worked out, lol. Imagine if it was a sloppy fit and didn't center.... that would get a bit out of whack in the 50+ thousand rpm range.

Whatever charger that wheel is for, it's a standard rotation charger.

Sounds like Bob's got somebody's ass to chew on that one.

LOL

I'm sure he'll shoot you another one right out, and he'll check the box 3 times before he puts the tape on it. I bet he'll be ripping some boxes open later, lol.

Sh*t happens.

CanadianPS

Reaction score
null-14.jpg

null-8.jpg

null-13.jpg

Sorry about the shotty quality pictures there taken from my phone with a cracked back screen lol. You get the idea though.

1ofakind79

Reaction score
I sent Bob some pictures. But I doubt he will do anything about it. Nothing against him But I messed up that wheel when I put it on. I checked fit first and noticed that gap. I talked to Bob and he said a gap towards the top was normal. Thats where things went downhill. I put the wheel on. The bore fit nice. But as I tightened it it ruined the treads in the wheel. Before anyone asks I was doing it by hand and holding the wheel on the back of the turbo too. Looking back now the treads were ruined probally because they were reverse from my turbo. After having already ruined the wheel I trimmed the edge off the nut and loctited a nut on the end to hold the wheel on it. And put everything together. I contacted Bob about an hour ago after Charles noticed the rotation. I didn't notice it. The box was correct and the wheel said 38r on it so I assumed it was correct. Anyway. If Bob decides to do something about it great if not I'm the one who ruined the wheel. I mainly contacted him so that he is aware of the problem before someone else spends hours pulling thier hair out trying to figure out why their truck only builds 7 lbs of boost.

Charles

Reaction score
I sent Bob some pictures. But I doubt he will do anything about it. Nothing against him But I messed up that wheel when I put it on. I checked fit first and noticed that gap. I talked to Bob and he said a gap towards the top was normal. Thats where things went downhill. I put the wheel on. The bore fit nice. But as I tightened it it ruined the treads in the wheel. Before anyone asks I was doing it by hand and holding the wheel on the back of the turbo too. Looking back now the treads were ruined probally because they were reverse from my turbo. After having already ruined the wheel I trimmed the edge off the nut and loctited a nut on the end to hold the wheel on it. And put everything together. I contacted Bob about an hour ago after Charles noticed the rotation. I didn't notice it. The box was correct and the wheel said 38r on it so I assumed it was correct. Anyway. If Bob decides to do something about it great if not I'm the one who ruined the wheel. I mainly contacted him so that he is aware of the problem before someone else spends hours pulling thier hair out trying to figure out why their truck only builds 7 lbs of boost.

I'm sure he'll make it right dude. He didn't realize what you had going on when he was telling you the wheel was correct over the phone. The fact that you fubar'd the wheel at that point is immaterial. It was the wrong one, obviously it wouldn't work right. Can't blame a man because he rounded the sides off a square peg if you assure him it will in fact fit in that round hole...

LOL

Whomever machined the wheel did the F'up when they grabbed that one and threw it in with the 38R stuff.

I'm sure he'll shoot you a new one.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.