6.0hmy no start/ hard start

Powerstroked

Reaction score
Ok so I know this thread seems like it is just another 6.no-start. My situation is a strange one. So about a week ago the truck started showing signs of hard start and it was a bit sluggish...not to much though. The hard start issue turned into a no start when hot issue, and then it was even hard to start cold. Having removed or replaced what I thought to be all the known 6.0 problem areas. I tackled the one thing that makes sense that I hadn't changed, the dummy plugs and standpipes. While I was changing them I charged the batteries to prepare for extended start time. I will have to say after I put everything together the restart was easier than normal (I have replaced injectors and it took awhile to start). I took it for an extended drive and it ran great! So why am I posting then right, well "I" shut it off and it will not start up again. I put the charger on the batteries and they are low, the truck turns over without hesitation though. What possibly could be causing something like this, it won't even start cold now!

mint-6oh

Reaction score
Any codes? What is icp while cranking when hot? Could be an injector or o-ring on the j-tube on the hpop.

Lassie

Reaction score
Air test HPO system. Do you have early 04 with 03 style HPOP?

Without scantool, you can't really diagnose the IPR. Very likely is the problem though. Pull and inspect screen.

Powerstroked

Reaction score
It is a late 04. I am unfortunately a ways from my legit tools, working with my road kit. No codes, the injector orings looked good as I just replaced both standpipes and dummy plugs. I don't have meter to check ICP pressure. I took the batteries into sears for a test today for assurance and they check good. I feel this is not related but the ABS light is on and the speedo doesn't work cleaned the sensor in the rear axle and still have the light and it came about during the same time this all started to happen.

Lassie

Reaction score
Did you check/change IPR? That's where I'd start if you can't scan it. IPR's can simulate all kinds of HPO problems.

Hot/cold no starts and shutdowns. Pick one or three or all. IPR can show up as any of these or combinations.

mint-6oh

Reaction score
You need to test ipr and hp oil system for a leak first before your gonna get any more suggestions. Odds are you'll
find your problem with those tests

F-250-Owner

Reaction score
Focus on where the oil rails meet tje injectors.... mine did the same exact thing after doing gaskets..... installing new oil rails now and hoping the injector top orings aren't jacked up

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Powerstroked

Reaction score
I can start the truck if I spray some ether in the intake when it is hot. It starts cold without any help just has a slightly extended crank time. I am thinking IPR, is it a common occurrence for an IPR to cause the hot no start along with a slightly increased cold start time? Are there any good videos for IPR removal out there?

BTW the truck runs like a rapped ape after it is running.

06-sixoh

Reaction score
Uh, this may sound elementary and stupid, however... How old are your batteries? Sounds like your having to charge them for security. If your batteries arent tip top, they wont push enough to start the truck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Powerstroked

Reaction score
I thought that too, they are a year plus. Diehard golds, took them into sears and they tested perfect 970 cranking amps each at 12.3 plus volts.

06-sixoh

Reaction score
Damn. Sorry bud. Thought i had a stroke of genius. Im running the dir hard platinums... Love em.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Powerstroked

Reaction score
I hate to say it, but today may be D-day, Can't have a truck that won't take me to work. Time to trade it in, the IPR is weighing on me but I don't want to spend near 300 to replace something that is not the problem with no way of testing to verify.

Powerstroked

Reaction score
So I still have the truck along with the truck's problems. So I replaced the IPR and the problem remains (expensive shot in the dark). One thing I have found is the truck will start (barely) with a generous shot of ether. At this point I am at the point of breaking into the HPOP cavity, first time on this one, what seals should I look into? Is the cover gasket reusable? Any other suggestions?

Latest posts

Members online