6.0hmy no start/ hard start

Powerstroked

Reaction score
Do I need to replace the HPOP cover seal, I was able to get the orings for the HPOP discharge and would like to replace these. Seeing as it is late saturday and tomorrow dealerships are closed. I would like to dig in to see if these orings are the cause of my hot start, even though it is a pig, it is my only mode of transportation right now (just leave it running on short trips).

Commandos888

Reaction score
You need to Recheck both of the HP oil Flex lines that go's to the HP Manifolds.They are know to go bad! Also if you are going into the HPOP check and make sure the the Ball plug didn't fall out from the side of the pump! if it did it will be on the bottom of the oil pan. they are know to cause a hard start and long cranking. 2004.25 will have W style oil rail's,let me know what one you have???.BE for you start doing this make sure you have good base oil pressure! an easy way to check this is pull the oil filter cap and have someone crank it over.the housing should fill quick with oil. low oil pressure pump's are not common of going bad but just to check it would not hurt. try and find someone with a scanner that you can watch live data! if you can that is.Now to really help you out. part number OTC 303-766 will help you find HP oil leaks. this tool is what i use to find 90% of hp oil leaks at my shop.

HOOV3R

Reaction score
Do I need to replace the HPOP cover seal, I was able to get the orings for the HPOP discharge and would like to replace these. Seeing as it is late saturday and tomorrow dealerships are closed. I would like to dig in to see if these orings are the cause of my hot start, even though it is a pig, it is my only mode of transportation right now (just leave it running on short trips).

You don't have to, but it may cause a slight leak later down the road. Just make sure to silicone where the block meets the rear cover.

Commandos888

Reaction score
Re: Hey bud

And yes if you are there replace all the seals!! even the cover seal! you don't want to pull everything back out again for something you could have replace while you where there:ford:

Powerstroked

Reaction score
@ Commandos888 - I am unsure of the flex lines that you are talking about, I have the W style manifolds and the standpipes along with the dummy plugs are new as part of this trouble shooting process. The base oil pressure is great, would this ball plug cause a hot start issue and allow a great running truck otherwise?

Commandos888

Reaction score
And yes if it fall's out.on the hpop the check valve ball is right next to the feed hole to the pump.But you did check each injector o-ring's on top right?? well they call it D-ring's.I have seen a lot of problems with the rail cup's that feed each injector blast the o-ring's in the injector.What may look good may be bad.

Last edited:

Powerstroked

Reaction score
So to wrap this thread up, it ended up as injector o-rings. They looked good visually from an installed aspect. Was doing hpop seals and decided to go ahead and replace the o-rings on the injectors to be safe, as I pulled them apart I found 4 of the 8 with bad o-rings, and 2 more starting to deteriorate. These injectors were only two years old with about 30,000 miles on them.....poop! Truck is running good with only minimal blood shed. Thanks for all the help PSA.

Latest posts

Members online