6.4 engine swap no start

Yan7gin

Reaction score
yes oil level is good, just change the oil. I started removing the rad's again and remove the pump. I still have the other engine so will swap it. hope that where the no rev and knocking come from.

I can put the skinny pedal to the floor and will rev up slowly up to the 1700-1800 rpm and starf a knock each sec at this rpm. other thing i saw is the boost gauge isn't moving at all

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
You may have two different issues, but i would be really worried about the no oil pressure before i go chasing a possible rev issue. I dont think the 6.4 goes into a derate from no oil pressure, but no oil pressure could cause other things to not work like turbos and whatnot which would cause a no rev.

Yan7gin

Reaction score
kk, starting to lose hope, will be away next week for training and 3 week after i have to move...

will try to check the flow next weekend when im back, i'm more concern about the knocking than the oil problem

Last edited:

Yan7gin

Reaction score
Neither is real common, but pull out the oil pressure regulator, the 12mm allen head underneath behind the damper, and crank it without starting. See if you have any oil coming out of there. I am assuming you double checked oil level first right?...

I took out what I thought it was the oil pressure regulator yesterday same location but it was a 30mm plug. No oil was coming out when cranking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Chit sorry,yeah the 6.4s are hex, not allen. My bad bud. If there is no oil coming out, then its possible th pump is junk. I would be leaning towards the pump instead of the pick up, as a pump would be more common than a pick up.

Yan7gin

Reaction score
Already started to tear down rads for access. Away for the week so next weekend episode

Yan7gin

Reaction score
kk got the oil pump out today and nothing wrong with it, and it better shape than the one from the other engine. Still no oil. pulled the hex plug with the bypass valve on the pump, crank and no oil. i guess the other option is the oil pick up tube? any other idea?

Yan7gin

Reaction score
oil pick up tube is not connected, will have to raise the engine tomorrow and see if its missing or fail off.

hope that will also solve the "tapping" problem. It's not knocking and 99% sure that its not piston or rod. engine was idling finr no weird noise but around 1700-1800 rpm ad a tapping/clunking noise (about 1/sec)

Yan7gin

Reaction score
no real idea, got the motor from a guy who brought the truck from hydro company.... doen't look like the pan was removed but I might be wrong.

Yan7gin

Reaction score
So guess i was getting tired yesterday with the flashlight because I removed the pan and the oil pickUp is well in place..... Still can't get any oil going through the pump. Still looking for the problem. Wonder if the problem is not at the filter housing or cooler? Anyway to prime the system?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Not tgat im aware of. It feeds oil pretty damn quick cranking. Pull the pickup off and make sure the o ring is in yhere and not torn.

Yan7gin

Reaction score
I removed the pickup and nothing wrong with it, still swap it for the other one i had. swap the oil pump for the other one just incase and no change. can't get the oil going through the LPOP.

Next step, truck on the trailer going to the new house, engine will come out and put apart to check every single part of it before going back in, rebuilt if need be.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Try adding 5qts for a total of 20. Jack up the ass end so the wheels are off the ground about 6 inches, see if anything changs.

Yan7gin

Reaction score
Ya i can give this a shot, easy enough to do

Yan7gin

Reaction score
ok, sorry for this long delay but just got the time to work on that truck today. Good news is I add more oil and raised the back of the truck and BOOM now system is prime and engine sound and run good. I put everything back together and no code, run good.

the only thing now is, the relay under both seat are clicking and also the gray one in the fuse box witch is the #53. they start clicking when key on and still click when engine running...... any idea on this?

Yan7gin

Reaction score
ok relay 1 and 3 are clicking, relay under driver and passager seat and may be 1 or 2 under the dash. they start clicking soon as I turn the key to on position and doesn't stop. the 5 button under the climate control also doesn't work (A/C, heated seat, defrost, ...)

Latest posts

Members online