6.7 Twin Turbo Setup

Dan

Reaction score
I promise you that, if Bentley was tuning it, it didn't have a lot of timing in it.

With Bentleys tuning it lasted 20k km, so in my mind the tuning problem has been ruled out.

I'm chalking this one up to the two times this engine has lost oil pumps and ran without pressure at high rpm...

Another thing I'm going to blame on my crappy luck is the used engine I bought has spun rod bearings... Typical kijiji dealings, sellers promises you the world, rotate the engine over fine and dandy, but when the issues discovered they already have your money and ran! Hahaha typical! Haha it's almost too good to be true!

1ABE4EF8-75D9-489D-BDA0-0A77C127D64C_zpsuydsqcss.jpg

F98F8BB2-1009-489F-8BF3-6E007E74058B_zpsp0irvrbx.jpg

Dan

Reaction score
So what to do now?

I think the most cost effective route is to strip the heads off the engine I just pulled, and take the short block down to Curtis Halvorson in Calgary AB and have it stripped and assessed. For those of you that don't know him, he's the guy behind the "Mormon missile", and "blown smoke"... So he's built a few engines that have been successful. I'm sure with only a couple spun rods, I'll get away with a new crank, and couple rods. I haven't totally made up my mind yet...

sootie

Reaction score
Let me know if you need help with anything in Calgary Dan...

And about the tuning, I forgot Bentley tuned it. You will be good there

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score

yep he just worked some magic on mine as well. his timing is just great !

Dan

Reaction score
Yep, too much timing can knock out the upper rod bearings.

I was noticing there's a few different things becoming available to be able to run extreme timing numbers...

255C0E1E-C567-467A-A8C1-0B172116351E_zpsmigxieqn.png

And also this was another thing that caught my eye to battle the extreme pressures:

875D6303-0EC1-44F7-B8FC-05D5F9C9D6EE_zpsrzd1ctbu.png

It seems simpler to eliminate the extreme pressures with proper tuning?

Thanks man

yep he just worked some magic on mine as well. his timing is just great !

His engine tune works really well eh? Quite impressed

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
not sure about the FPO , i run the r&r's and it seems to be a non issue. when mine dropped an oil squirter from hammering at low eot , all my bearings were perfect . not sure why the fpo is necessary , unless there is a substantial timing change occurring . and if so, why is the timing change happening ?

Dan

Reaction score
not sure about the FPO , i run the r&r's and it seems to be a non issue. when mine dropped an oil squirter from hammering at low eot , all my bearings were perfect . not sure why the fpo is necessary , unless there is a substantial timing change occurring . and if so, why is the timing change happening ?

I'd be interested to hear tadds reasoning... Personally I haven't had issues with the wrist pin and small end rod bearings. But then again I don't have a "nasty powerful 6.7" Hahahaha

And I guess the only other thing I can relate this to, is the 20v4000 MTU engines we maintain... 3700hp engines and no rifle drillings to the wrist pin. But that being said, the little series 60 engines do...

Evertone has their own opinion on injection timing. Its a dangerous tool of you ask me! Haha

Reaction score
Forced pin oiling doesn't do anything for the rod bearings. The rod bearings already have all of the oil they're going to get. FPO is exactly what it says- to get additional oil to the pin.

Dan, do you know what kind of side clearance you have with your rods?

Dan

Reaction score
Forced pin oiling doesn't do anything for the rod bearings. The rod bearings already have all of the oil they're going to get. FPO is exactly what it says- to get additional oil to the pin.

Dan, do you know what kind of side clearance you have with your rods?

I don't, I know while the last engine was being built it was a concern that it was tight but the machine shop assured it was good. I'm headed down to see Curtis right now, so when we take a look at it, I'll measure it and report back

For now, let's all wish the engine the best of luck hanging on till we get there! Hahahaha

D20AAD64-3EA0-45EC-AA66-3F7918EDC10C_zpsfcz9r3bi.jpg

Dan

Reaction score
Side clearance is not an issue.

Curtis looks at things from a different point of view. Lots of great knowledge. It'll be successful this time. I might even get to put down some half decent numbers with this next engine...

Ok but more to the point, who wants to sell me some goodies at wholesale? Ive bought enough stuff at retail... I need some parts, k great thanks!

Latest posts

Members online