7.3 obs or SD, or just go up to 6.0?

Reaction score
Okay, I love the way the obs trucks look, and if I can have as many modern comforts in it, than that would be the way I'd go, but I'm faced with a delima. In the next few years we hope to upgrade from using my parents 31 ft travel trailer to buying our own fith wheel, which means moving from about 8,500lbs to probably around 15,000lbs. My delima is I'll want a crew cab truck and maybe even a dually, but would like to keep it SRW if possible, any ways, do I find another obs crew cab, and upgrade to SD axles, suspension and seats for braking and ride quality, and of course if I go 7.3 I'll probably go with 238/100s, a gated BASB, T500 etc... Or do I go ahead and just get a SD 7.3, or if I'm gonna get a SD do I just go ahead and get a 6.0 and do all the bullet proofing and few power mods and call it good, pros of going 7.3 are my familiarity with the platform, but pros of a 6.0 are newer trucks, and future support for aftermarket...

As I mentioned above, if I go 7.3, it will get same mods as my 96, except larger injectors and I'll do studs... Also, either way I go, I want 4X4 and an auto, which leads me to my next question, I know if I go 7.3, trans needs to be built, and if i go obs, I'll switch to 4r100 and a SD PCM, but what will the stock 5r110 hold to, or does it need to be built as well?

psduser1

Reaction score
At 15k, I'd plan on a dually, and, as much as I hate to say it, 06 or 07 6.0l, unless you can swing a 6.7l.
Imo, of course.

Krause

Reaction score
Oh Boy, this one is the interesting question for a lot of us. I wont comment too much but...

As far as I know, 5r's are pretty stout. When Ford missed the boat with the 6.0, they concurrently did an excellent job with the Tranny. Unless you are planning Serious power mods for a 6.0, the tranny is happy back there. <This is one of the most enticing reasons to roll the dice on a 6.0 IMO, forgoing the 4500 bill for a tranny...

That said.. while Im no where near this point, Ive had the same thoughts as you. Have you considered a 6.4? If the creature comforts are what you're after, the 08 interiors are where it really makes a big improvement. Obviously mixed reviews about the 6.4's, but if it were me, with the price coming down on them and all things considered (interiors, styling, etc etc), I think I'de jump to a 6.4 before a 6.0...

-Krause

golfer

Reaction score
7.3L, or 6.4L

the 6.0L will be a serious, potentially very expensive, gamble.

We do about 100 trucks/month in our shop (not incl parts sold/shipped)..and the majority of trucks needing repair (not upgrading for more performance) are the 6.0L..by a mile.

there are enough horror stories out there, so no need to expand further.

There are certainly some 'good ones' out there...but aside from the transmission...there are few redeeming qualities about the 03-07 6.0L E/F-series.

Spoolin'

Reaction score
7.3L, or 6.4L

We do about 100 trucks/month in our shop (not incl parts sold/shipped)..and the majority of trucks needing repair (not upgrading for more performance) are the 6.0L..by a mile.

There are certainly some 'good ones' out there...but aside from the transmission...there are few redeeming qualities about the 03-07 6.0L E/F-series.

Lol this makes me laugh every time. A 6.4 repair bill is almost always more than a 6.0s. And of course you see more 6.0s in the shop, it's simple math....look at production...there's been plenty of polls here and it comes down to either a 6.0 or 6.7. Stop with the non sense.

mandkole

Reaction score
Okay, I love the way the obs trucks look, and if I can have as many modern comforts in it, than that would be the way I'd go, but I'm faced with a delima. In the next few years we hope to upgrade from using my parents 31 ft travel trailer to buying our own fith wheel, which means moving from about 8,500lbs to probably around 15,000lbs. My delima is I'll want a crew cab truck and maybe even a dually, but would like to keep it SRW if possible, any ways, do I find another obs crew cab, and upgrade to SD axles, suspension and seats for braking and ride quality, and of course if I go 7.3 I'll probably go with 238/100s, a gated BASB, T500 etc... Or do I go ahead and just get a SD 7.3, or if I'm gonna get a SD do I just go ahead and get a 6.0 and do all the bullet proofing and few power mods and call it good, pros of going 7.3 are my familiarity with the platform, but pros of a 6.0 are newer trucks, and future support for aftermarket...

As I mentioned above, if I go 7.3, it will get same mods as my 96, except larger injectors and I'll do studs... Also, either way I go, I want 4X4 and an auto, which leads me to my next question, I know if I go 7.3, trans needs to be built, and if i go obs, I'll switch to 4r100 and a SD PCM, but what will the stock 5r110 hold to, or does it need to be built as well?

There is a marked difference between the OBS and the SD 7.3s. Id look for a very nice SD. I liked the interior evolution in the 6.0s and they drove nice with the coils, but I couldn't pull the trigger.

I drive the truck so little that getting a nice, low mile 7.3 was perfect for me. Spend the money and get a nice one.

swinky

Reaction score
7.3L, or 6.4L

You're high.

swinky

Reaction score
Buy a bulletproofed 6.0 with all of the receipts done by the right shop for 14-18k and never look back.
Yuhpp. Put a light tow tune on it and let her eat. Don't be afraid of 03-04 6.0s though, they're usually a lot cheaper. Obviously they have leafs and the turning radius sucks but the rumors about the motor being less reliable is nonsense.

Reaction score
I'll be honest, I've always heard waay more horror stories on 6.4s, I know they make more power, have an even beefier trans than the 6.0, and a nicer interior, but, IMHO they are also very ugly, specially the front end. That coupled with the terrors of a 6.4 would make it hard for me to pull the trigger on one, but I'm not completely opposed to the 6.4 either, I could just swap on the 6.7 front end and deal with other body lines that I don't like

Spoolin'

Reaction score
I'll be honest, I've always heard waay more horror stories on 6.4s, I know they make more power, have an even beefier trans than the 6.0, and a nicer interior, but, IMHO they are also very ugly, specially the front end. That coupled with the terrors of a 6.4 would make it hard for me to pull the trigger on one, but I'm not completely opposed to the 6.4 either, I could just swap on the 6.7 front end and deal with other body lines that I don't like

Beefier Trans?

johnp115

Reaction score
What All is necessary to bullet proof a 6.4

Bullet proof a 6.4? how bullet proof are you wanting? because a fully bullet proof 6.4 is alot different than one that just has a few of the "concerns" worked out.

Honestly, i would go with a 6.0. Either studded, or buy one thats not studded and then bullet proof it.

If you don't go with a 6.0 then go with a 6.7 if you can afford to. I really wouldn't buy a 6.4 unless you knew it was right. They're hot rodded around and pretty much always need a new motor at some point in its life.

Id say a dually would be really beneficial at that point too.

swinky

Reaction score
Yes. The 6.4 trans will live for a little bit or for a while with some abuse at 550-6xx ish hp.

Very few 6.0 transmissions last over 500 with abuse
Ehh it's basically the same trans. The 6.4 has a better filter setup. I think it comes down to tuning. A 550hp 6.0 with a gearhead or tsd tune will last a good bit on the stock trans.

johnp115

Reaction score
Ehh it's basically the same trans. The 6.4 has a better filter setup. I think it comes down to tuning. A 550hp 6.0 with a gearhead or tsd tune will last a good bit on the stock trans.

Gotcha. I'm no transmission builder I just know what I see and how people's trucks perform. I see a ton of 6.4 transmissions taking abuse while the 6.0 trans doesn't really hold up as well as the 6.4's do. More than likely tuning then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HOLDERDOWN

Reaction score
6.4 and 6.0 both have 5r110

I have had customer abuse several stock 5r110s with around 600hp give or take and hold pretty good. It won't last forever by any means but longer than you think

Sent from Holderdown Performance iPhone Command Center

Latest posts

Members online