96 f350 front axle seals leaking

zilla68

Reaction score
its all tore down, not very hard at all.

but when I removed the inner seal, there was just a small seal, but behind that seal is a copper looking piece, does it come out also? looks like it is held in place by some ford grey stuff.

79jasper

Reaction score
I don't think mine had that. I know it seems like they sealed the axle tube to the pumpkin with rtv though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

zilla68

Reaction score
this is a brass type piece, the seal is about the size of something you'd see on a car, very thin, so i'm thinking that other piece has to come out also.

idshred

Reaction score
Zilla, if you haven't already, google 'obs ford inner axle seal' within a first few images are the new style seal and the old style. I believe all that should be in there is a one piece seal. That's all that was in mine when I changed them. I have read where the shafts will get enough wear in them that the old style seals will no longer seal out the oil. Perhaps that happened on yours? Hard to say.

zilla68

Reaction score
Zilla, if you haven't already, google 'obs ford inner axle seal' within a first few images are the new style seal and the old style. I believe all that should be in there is a one piece seal. That's all that was in mine when I changed them. I have read where the shafts will get enough wear in them that the old style seals will no longer seal out the oil. Perhaps that happened on yours? Hard to say.

i'm pretty sure this is what is in there

Attachments

• d60tubeseal.jpg
    d60tubeseal.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 47
  • inner%20seal.jpg
    inner%20seal.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 49

zilla68

Reaction score
Oh, maybe. Can you get a pic of what you removed?

you see the back side of the brass looking piece, the rubber seal, that pulled OFF of the brass looking piece (I think its just stamped metal colored gold)

zilla68

Reaction score
on a side note, I was getting a slight popping noise on the passenger side.
I finally tracked it down to the passenger side hub (at least that's sure where it sounds like its coming from).
after raising the truck, I had no play in the wheel trying to move it around.
after tearing down that side I'm not seeing any issues like a bad bearing or anything.
the outer spindle nut was tight, but I did notice the inner spindle nut was not as tight. I'm wondering if that would have created the noise?
it only did it on turning, but the bearings and races all look new (they are I just put them in with the new ball joints a while back.
any ideas?

bluedge8

Reaction score
So, just to catch up here a little, if you are replacing the axle seals, they are all the way in the tube at the pumpkin. So you have to pull the carrier (sp) to work on the seals, then you are supposed to use a spreader to reset the carrier, sound about right?

zilla68

Reaction score
yes that is correct,
although some say to just put the carrier in a plastic trash bag and cover in ice overnite and it should slide right in

zilla68

Reaction score
popped the seals out, used an old floor jack handle I had and one of the snap on seal drivers, popped it right out, and that seal I pictured is the same seal that was in there.

zilla68

Reaction score
yep, got the seals out, got my all thread cut and my snap on seal drivers ready to go, i'm thinking I can just put the one seal driver on the inside that fits the seal, and a washer and nut on the end, and a larger seal driver that fits over the hole on the outside with a nut and washer and tighten down the outside nut with an impact, pulling the seal into place on the inside.

my only concern now is getting the carrier back in, it was hard as hell to get the carrier out, I don't think it will go back in easily.

79jasper

Reaction score
I used a board and a mini sledge. Think I had to hit in different places. Of course mine was winter time so the housing was cold, with it summer the housing should theoretically be "opened" from the heat.

zilla68

Reaction score
i got the seals in, and was checking the rotors and one has cracks in it.
got a new one from napa, and got the studs installed, but its not tightening up all the way, once the studs are in, the hub assembly and rotor have a VERY slight wiggle to them, barely noticeable, but I can feel it. is this normal?