96 f350 front axle seals leaking

zilla68

Reaction score
I tried pulling them in with old lug nuts and it didn't seem to get any tighter.
I installed them with a large ball peen hammer and a brass drift.

its not like its wobbling so much you can see it, not even sure you could measure it, you can barely feel it.

zilla68

Reaction score
no I didn't,
the original hub that's been on there since new just came right apart once I got the studs out. I just pulled it right apart

zilla68

Reaction score
what is the torque spec for the:

main caps on the carrier (the 4 bolts that hold the caps and carrier in)

there is 2 nuts inside the spindle, what is the inner spindle nut torque set at? I went with the stage 8 set up so I just have the one nut now, but it says to set it at the recommended torque, but i'm not finding that anywhere.

zilla68

Reaction score
what is the torque spec for the:

main caps on the carrier (the 4 bolts that hold the caps and carrier in)
80 ft lbs
there is 2 nuts inside the spindle, what is the inner spindle nut torque set at? I went with the stage 8 set up so I just have the one nut now, but it says to set it at the recommended torque, but i'm not finding that anywhere.

50ft lbs, spin hub, back off 1/4, torque to 50ft lbs sound right?

gnxtc2

Reaction score
IIRC....torque inner nut to 60lbs to seat the bearings then back off 90°. Torque outer nut to somewhere around 250lbs.

Everytime I backed off 90°, there was some play in the hub.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

zilla68

Reaction score
ok, new wheel studs fixed the issue of the slight play I had.

all back together and all fine

thanks for the help guys

zilla68

Reaction score
on a side note, I was getting a slight popping noise on the passenger side.
I finally tracked it down to the passenger side hub (at least that's sure where it sounds like its coming from).
after raising the truck, I had no play in the wheel trying to move it around.
after tearing down that side I'm not seeing any issues like a bad bearing or anything.
the outer spindle nut was tight, but I did notice the inner spindle nut was not as tight. I'm wondering if that would have created the noise?
it only did it on turning, but the bearings and races all look new (they are I just put them in with the new ball joints a while back.
any ideas?

WELL THE DAMN POPPING NOISE WAS STILL GOING ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and pissing me off to the point of smashing it into a tree. I cannot stand noises like that.

Well I've been fighting this dang noise since before this post. not all the time, but its really unnerving to say the least.

well today I FINALLY got it.
although I checked the entire front end 100 times at least, in varying angles and suspension angles of flex, and although it never seemed to move by sight, I tightened everything down bolted to the front end, or checked it at least, it was all super tight.

it was the aftermarket trackbar was loose, where it mounts to the drop pmf trackbar mount.

you could chase that damn sound all over the front end, it sounded like it was up front, then it sounded like rear driver axle, then passenger front lol.
its like everytime I got under there, it would move sound positions.

so I took loose the trackbar from the bracket checked it and no slop, stuck an impact on it and problem solved.

ever had one of those sounds that drive you nuts, this one was mine.

hope it stays fixed, my nerves can't stand suspension noises like that lol, that popping drives me nuts.