A little update on my truck...

Erikclaw

Reaction score
Boost and Backpressure are most likely the cause of failure IMO. The OE rocker just won't handle it. Been there done that. Jared's truck saw over 100 psi of bp, so did Erik's and big surprise they both broke rockers. I'm sure JD's bp was pretty high those last few drag passes.

The springs in JD's truck are the most the OE rocker can take. We've ran springs with greater force and they broke rockers. What Nathannial is referring to, is the springs will control valve float at 5500rpm, as we have tested that on a cam with substantially more lift and duration and faster lobe acceleration than any of the trucks that broke rockers. The spring wasn't the problem, the OE rocker is just junk metal and wasn't intended for the punishment.

This makes me laugh, in a bad way. It doesn't surprise you that these broke because of the back
pressure seen. That was one of my biggest issues running the tripples. I hated that bp and knew it would blow it up. I told you I wanted them gone because I felt my truck would not make it home because of this damn back pressure you said I was wrong. I was repeadily told by your employees that the motor was built to take that kind of bp.

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
Erik, as with everything it's an evolution. Most hard parts are available because of breakage and the need for something stronger. We had only seen two trucks break rockers before this years DPC and both of those had stout valvesprings, one higher than the other but we had reason to believe it was the springs causing the failures. It's easy to use hindsight and say I told you so, when even today I said it's my opinion that's why the rockers are breaking. I don't have any hard data, just with more failures I am looking at the shared features.

On a sidenote: When we last had your truck dialed in with triples, the backpressure was 15% higher than loads of other trucks out there (we were at 90 psi) and I did feel and still do, that you were safe otherwise I wouldn't have told you so.

Last edited:

madman1234509

Reaction score
Just for reference. I see 80-85lbs back pressure consistently WOT with the converter locked in 5th gear. 10K miles on the set up. No issues so far. 70-75lbs of boost. I've pegged a 100lb back pressure gauge probably 5 times when dialing in my gates.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Just for reference. I see 80-85lbs back pressure consistently WOT with the converter locked in 5th gear. 10K miles on the set up. No issues so far. 70-75lbs of boost. I've pegged a 100lb back pressure gauge probably 5 times when dialing in my gates.

what's the spring pressure though ?

madman1234509

Reaction score
Sure, just less likely to be able to handle the boost or back pressure, and in turn float, possibly cause valve contact and what not.

But, does anyone honestly know what the "stage 1" valve springs are capable of handling safely? Tad claims they tested springs, sounds like the stage 2s, did they test stage 1s as well?

NathannialD

Reaction score
I love that somehow this has become the elite diesel roast....

kinda pisses me off that no one can just be happy for what Jd was able to do with his truck.

madman1234509

Reaction score
My last post wasn't ment to sound as if I was roasting Elite. I was just curious if all stages of valve springs were tested to determine their limitations or just one kind. Just curious since I don't know what mine are capable of.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I love that somehow this has become the elite diesel roast....

kinda pisses me off that no one can just be happy for what Jd was able to do with his truck.

im happy for him, so much im going to kiss his bald head when I see him again!

I had the same valve springs with no issues. probably about half the miles tho

Erikclaw

Reaction score
Where did he place? My guess is 4th or so. I haven't read what happened after my post and don't know if I will, I can guess what the comments were.

When you are told a new 1.5 cam that was put in for the tripples and brand new heads are both junk after 5000 miles and they are not covered because they were in there a long time and not covered tells me enough.

jdgleason

Reaction score
Ignore them. We all had a good time. Thats all that matters.

Wouldn't trade it for anything brotha!

On a different note. ..... If jd was able to do the truck pull and win. Where would that have put him?

If I won the sled pull, with Jared beating Lavon as well, I would have finished 1st or 2nd.

What lifters were on it.

Sent from the bat phone near a drilling rig.

Ford lifters.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I have an opinion like everyone on valve springs. If you had solids I was going I mention to you the same thing I did to Eric when his truck took a crap. You don't have enough seat pressure or ramp speed on the cam to warrant solid lifters. I think the valve springs are too strong for the cams ramp rate in these truck. You have more spring rate than I do in a fast ramp cam spinning to 7000 in a small block. I know you have back pressure to take into account but I don't think it's high enough to have a high seat pressure.
But it also could be the lash of the lifters being a little off since we really only have push rod length to adjust preload on the lifters without machine work.

Sent from the bat phone near a drilling rig.