A little update on my truck...

jdgleason

Reaction score
I thought you would be close to winning it. Hell of a job bud!

Thanks buddy! If we had just a little more time, we could have swapped the trans lol.

I have an opinion like everyone on valve springs. If you had solids I was going I mention to you the same thing I did to Eric when his truck took a crap. You don't have enough seat pressure or ramp speed on the cam to warrant solid lifters. I think the valve springs are too strong for the cams ramp rate in these truck. You have more spring rate than I do in a fast ramp cam spinning to 7000 in a small block. I know you have back pressure to take into account but I don't think it's high enough to have a high seat pressure.
But it also could be the lash of the lifters being a little off since we really only have push rod length to adjust preload on the lifters without machine work.

Sent from the bat phone near a drilling rig.

....... Buuuuuutttttt I don't.

NathannialD

Reaction score
Also solid lifters were done when lifter options were very few and we had several occurrences of them collapsing in high boost high rpm situations

jdgleason

Reaction score
Moving on...

So after I put the trans back in my truck, it was pulling fluid. Weirdest thing - it would do it in park at idle within seconds of starting it, but drove great lol.

After talking with Nathannial, a couple guys have had similar issues before, but never been able to fully resolve them. So, Nathannial was awesome enough to come down and help me out over the weekend (before last) and we pulled my trans out and went through everything to try and figure out what the issues were. Everything seemed ok, so we put it back together with the same problem, so we tore it back out and back apart again.

We traced fluid passages and broke down the pump and inspected everything, and Nathannial noticed an imperfection in the face of one of the pump body halves (where the separator plate meets the face). In true ninja fashion, Nathannial noticed the imperfection that I couldn't feel with my finger...

Anyway, we swapped it with another pump we had, and that fixed our issue. Super happy he found that, because I never would have lol.

a1cafeee09c3af1d2c7f68dc39bd3839.jpg

I drove the truck over the weekend though and made a healthy pull in it (til it ran out of gear lol) to verify that everything was ok after DPC. Didn't puke a drop and Trans didn't skip a beat. It's back!

Oh, and I've got some goodies coming that I hoped would be here last week, but didn't arrive... Should look good with some new tires wrapped around them!

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Moving on...

So after I put the trans back in my truck, it was pulling fluid. Weirdest thing - it would do it in park at idle within seconds of starting it, but drove great lol.

After talking with Nathannial, a couple guys have had similar issues before, but never been able to fully resolve them. So, Nathannial was awesome enough to come down and help me out over the weekend (before last) and we pulled my trans out and went through everything to try and figure out what the issues were. Everything seemed ok, so we put it back together with the same problem, so we tore it back out and back apart again.

We traced fluid passages and broke down the pump and inspected everything, and Nathannial noticed an imperfection in the face of one of the pump body halves (where the separator plate meets the face). In true ninja fashion, Nathannial noticed the imperfection that I couldn't feel with my finger...

Anyway, we swapped it with another pump we had, and that fixed our issue. Super happy he found that, because I never would have lol.

I drove the truck over the weekend though and made a healthy pull in it (til it ran out of gear lol) to verify that everything was ok after DPC. Didn't puke a drop and Trans didn't skip a beat. It's back!

Oh, and I've got some goodies coming that I hoped would be here last week, but didn't arrive... Should look good with some new tires wrapped around them!

do you have a picture of the area? I have never seen anything like that. Man thats a good catch

jdgleason

Reaction score
do you have a picture of the area? I have never seen anything like that. Man thats a good catch

I never took a pic - might be able to snap one though... Just looked like some little casting imperfections on the edge of one of the fluid passages. Almost like a discoloration in a couple spots

jdgleason

Reaction score
he said 3000 ft/lbs .. thats crazy , he almost has king kong beat !

Lol that's where you got that from.... wondering what that was all about. 1320 said 1500/3000, not me lol. And For whatever it's worth, corrected to corrected, I made 500 more ft lbs than Craig's truck.

Anyway, I haven't been on here in too long, but unfortunately I haven't been able to do much with the truck this summer since I've been traveling and swamped with work lately! I was trying to go to world finals this year, but I never made a pass with NHRDA earlier this year, so that didn't pan out.

Anyway, the truck is doing great! Still improving on tuning slowly but surely and it's a blast on the street! It hasn't had an issue since DPC. Tows great, and drives awesome! Super happy with it. Hoping to improve fuel only performance a little in the coming months with some better flowing heads, but that's about all the plans I have for the motor. lol

0156017467215004_6478321181951531438_n_zpsoriplazx.jpg

0156017467240004_2022534029458847151_n_zpserfkwg8c.jpg