Advice on potential project trucks

DieselJpower

Reaction score
It wants a 7.3 in there. Regaurdless of what you want to do motor wise, he's obviously not firm on the price so you could call him and pick his brain a little then go check it out if it still sounds good.

I barely missed a sweet deal right before I left Florida, same thing an 05 or 06 cc 4x4 dually with blown 6.0 guy wanted $3500. I called as soon as i saw it snd he had just sold it. The ad didn't last 40 minutes on CL .

Last edited:

ja_cain

Reaction score
It wants a 7.3 in there. Regaurdless of what you want to do motor wise, he's obviously not firm on the price so you could call him and pick his brain a little then go check it out if it still sounds good.

I barely missed a sweet deal right before I left Florida, same thing an 05 or 06 cc 4x4 dually with blown 6.0 guy wanted $3500. I called as soon as i saw it snd he had just sold it. The ad didn't last 40 minutes on CL .
05 or 06 is ultimately what I want to go with long term if I ever do a re-power, but i want a 450. I would live to get some experience/exposure to the 6.0 platform though. I think I'll go by and see it on Monday and feel the guy out if it's still available. My buddy used to do a lot of 6.0 work at the dealership back in the day. I need to ask him what he thinks about dealing with the motor work. That sick you just missed a deal. I've been in situations like that to. It can be a real bummer.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ja_cain

Reaction score
I just shot him a text to see if it's still available.

ja_cain

Reaction score
I guess I should have posted this on the 6 oh area. I'm such a dumbazz sometimes. Lol! Just so used to posting here that I didn't even think twice.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Doesnt seem too bad a deal as long as the body is in decent shape. Repairing a dropped lifter if you do the work is probably in the 4-5k range, could probably flip the trucj pretty easy out here at least, for 18-20k.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Doesnt seem too bad a deal as long as the body is in decent shape. Repairing a dropped lifter if you do the work is probably in the 4-5k range, could probably flip the trucj pretty easy out here at least, for 18-20k.
Wow! Is that because of the contamination and potential damage to other parts? I would assume that the cam and obviously the lifter is toast, but what other carnage have you seen with something like this?

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
a bad lifter smokes the cam, and if the needle bearings are released into the wild, they tear up the oil pump, and it gets really bad from there.

you're basically looking at a complete engine overhaul

note to self... start selling trucks in AZ... that's a $15k truck to me if everything's good on it

ja_cain

Reaction score
a bad lifter smokes the cam, and if the needle bearings are released into the wild, they tear up the oil pump, and it gets really bad from there.

you're basically looking at a complete engine overhaul

note to self... start selling trucks in AZ... that's a $15k truck to me if everything's good on it

I just got done reading through part of a thread and this was exactly what they were saying.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
part of the problem is the dang cams are expensive!!!! I'm sure plenty of good ones go to the scrap yard from guys doing CumminGs swaps and such, but it seems like whenever we NEED one, they get awfully scarce

I wouldn't be afraid of the truck necessarily. I'd try to get it for as close to $5k as possible and keep an eye out for a good running pull-out engine. I always get leery about placing a premium on "just installed 8 new injectors" etc. Usually ends up being some Pensacola specials or some home polished/re-sealed jobs. If they actually have an invoice showing Ford remans, I'll give more weight to such claims.

I love 6.0's, but they're such a fickle market from a flip standpoint. Lower miles is obviously better. Clean un-ripped interior is obviously better.

Honestly the best thing to do is buy the cheapest POS you can find, put studs and an EGR ****** on it, and call it "bulletproof". The mouth-breathers come calling!

I prefer to buy/sell connoisseur level trucks (or guns or whatever it is I'm dealing with).

But, my inability to deal with the McDonald's level buyers is why I'm not a rich man, I suppose :(

ja_cain

Reaction score
part of the problem is the dang cams are expensive!!!! I'm sure plenty of good ones go to the scrap yard from guys doing CumminGs swaps and such, but it seems like whenever we NEED one, they get awfully scarce

I wouldn't be afraid of the truck necessarily. I'd try to get it for as close to $5k as possible and keep an eye out for a good running pull-out engine. I always get leery about placing a premium on "just installed 8 new injectors" etc. Usually ends up being some Pensacola specials or some home polished/re-sealed jobs. If they actually have an invoice showing Ford remans, I'll give more weight to such claims.

I love 6.0's, but they're such a fickle market from a flip standpoint. Lower miles is obviously better. Clean un-ripped interior is obviously better.

Honestly the best thing to do is buy the cheapest POS you can find, put studs and an EGR ****** on it, and call it "bulletproof". The mouth-breathers come calling!

I prefer to buy/sell connoisseur level trucks (or guns or whatever it is I'm dealing with).

But, my inability to deal with the McDonald's level buyers is why I'm not a rich man, I suppose :(

I texted the guy but have not received a response yet. I definitely want to go look at it. I was actually noodling the pull-out engine idea. I need to look at what they are going for. I assume I could just swap over the studs and other useful stuff that damaged engine already has. Then I could call it "bullet proofed" like you said. Btw, thanks for the helpful info from you and the rest of they guts that commented.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
No worries! Like I said, I love 6.0's. They kinda get in your blood (like an infectious disease? LOL)

I may be selling my reg cab soon, and I caught myself looking at clean 6.0's yesterday.

pull-outs are tricky. We have a huge diesel truck market in the Houston area and in TX in general, so they're out there. Obviously you'll want to hear it running first.

A lot of times, you can pick up pretty decent engines that may need an injector or few or something else simple from guys who don't know how to diag a 6.0 and are tired of getting murdered on repair costs and are going to do a Cummins swap! :)

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
11 years old with mismatched axles and 200k would bring 18-20k? Someone is nuts!

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
11 years old with mismatched axles and 200k would bring 18-20k? Someone is nuts!

Yeah, this is goung by what ive been seeing on craigslist. Found a couple king ranches, i know king ranch ups it, with over 200, with blown coolers in the 18 range. I know thats not what they are getting fo them, but you figure after negotiating whoever buys it is paying around 15 for a srw, 250, thats broken. Personally, the 450 axles probably up resale a bit, as tgey aint screwed up like the originals, and are beefier. But id figure you could list it at 22-24 once its fixed and get 18-20 from some one. Hell, even 14-15 would be a decent profit. But drw are going for more than that, at least out here.

ja_cain

Reaction score
I texted the guy on Saturday and today and still now response. May just try to call him tomorrow. He said if the posting was up, then it's still available.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Alright, he finally responded. Plan is to go and check it out tomorrow or Wednesday. I'm not real good with negotiating these kinds of things, so I'll need some help after I get some picks and talk to the guy.

Just scanning CL, looks like pull-outs range from $1500 to $4000.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Good luck man, if you aint got anyone to talk with near you, shoot me a pm and gimme a call, i can try helping over the phone.

Latest posts

Members online