Advice on potential project trucks

ja_cain

Reaction score
Good luck man, if you aint got anyone to talk with near you, shoot me a pm and gimme a call, i can try helping over the phone.
Thanks man. I really appreciate it!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ja_cain

Reaction score
Alright, the wife is onboard with everything. I hope to go check it out after work today. I will ask if he can produce receipts for everything that he recently replaced/installed (injectors, studs, etc.). If there is anything else that I should look for or ask about feel free to post it here. Thanks again for everyones input. I'll let you know what I find out.

Jomax

Reaction score
Alright, the wife is onboard with everything. I hope to go check it out after work today. I will ask if he can produce receipts for everything that he recently replaced/installed (injectors, studs, etc.). If there is anything else that I should look for or ask about feel free to post it here. Thanks again for everyones input. I'll let you know what I find out.

I think it's time for AE!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ja_cain

Reaction score
I think it's time for AE!

I realized I forgot my Bluetooth OBDII reader this morning. It's just as well since the guy didn't respond to my text that I was getting ready to head on over till 4 hours later. I'm going to attempt to do this again tomorrow. Lol!

ja_cain

Reaction score
The only other concern my wife had was the possible difficulty of getting a car loan on a truck like this since it's so old. What do you guys think about this? I figure someone with the cash that doesn't want to spend 60 grand on a new equivalent would be the type to buy it. Just not real sure how many of those guys are out there in my area.

Last edited:

ja_cain

Reaction score
I went and saw the truck today. The body was pretty rough and the interior smelled like cigarettes. It also had a fair amount of rust on the frame. I felt kind of sorry for the guy as it seemed like he knew that it was priced too high. I don't think he was really ready to get rid of it. It just wasn't the kind of truck to flip or get for my brother. I did verify that it was studded though. He seemed like a nice guy and I wished him the best of luck trying to sell it. I guess the search continues. I took some pictures but I don't think I will bother posting them unless someone really wants me to.

Jomax

Reaction score
I went and saw the truck today. The body was pretty rough and the interior smelled like cigarettes. It also had a fair amount of rust on the frame. I felt kind of sorry for the guy as it seemed like he knew that it was priced too high. I don't think he was really ready to get rid of it. It just wasn't the kind of truck to flip or get for my brother. I did verify that it was studded though. He seemed like a nice guy and I wished him the best of luck trying to sell it. I guess the search continues. I took some pictures but I don't think I will bother posting them unless someone really wants me to.

I'd personally pass. If you're looking for a truck for your brother, why not 7.3?? You seem to already understand them vs. a 6.0?

ja_cain

Reaction score
I'd personally pass. If you're looking for a truck for your brother, why not 7.3?? You seem to already understand them vs. a 6.0?

This truck was going to be a temporary solution for my brother till we could find a good 7.3. He is going to by a 5er camper and needs a cc truck for the kids to fit. I would just let him borrow mine, but mine is a sclb.

Ultimately I wanted it to flip and learn the platform. So many people are scared of them I was thinking I could pick a decent one up and do everything myself (with the help of a former Ford tech with a lift) and sell it with the bulletproof parts on it. The smoke smell alone was a deal killer and I know my brother and his wife would not want to spend a significant amount of time in something that smelled that bad.

I'm still going to keep my eyes open for a good truck with a blown motor or maybe something that has the potential of being misdiagnosed incorrectly.

ja_cain

Reaction score
I'm half tempted to offer the guy a couple grand without the motor or trans. I really want to do a DT360 swap one day and this wouldn't be that bad of a truck. I think after a little bit of cleaning the smell wouldn't be that bad. I have access to nice paint guns and might possibly be picking up a booth too. The guy down the street painted his ex outside and it looks awesome. Maybe just having good guns and calm day is all I need.

Jomax

Reaction score
You can get the smoke smell completely out with an ozonator. I know a place you can buy one for under 100$

ja_cain

Reaction score
You can get the smoke smell completely out with an ozonator. I know a place you can buy one for under 100$

Good to know! I don't know what I would do without you guys. Thanks for the help/advice!

Latest posts

Members online