Bad Reman'd injectors

lubeowner

Reaction score
I have a deal where I fix all 6.0 trade ins for the local dodge dealer. Earlier this week they brought me a 2004 that they took in on trade not running. The customer trading it in told them that the ford garage said it needed 8 new injectors. When I got the truck the first thing I found was that it was pushing compression into the fuel on the passenger side head. So I pulled out that injector and replaced it with a new one. What I noticed is all the injectors visually looked new or close to new. This truck has roughly 109,000 miles on it. So I decided to tear that injector down to see what the problem was inside it. The pintle was not sealing and leaking compression back up past it. I also found that this injector had a broken combustion plate. These aren't the greatest pics as they were taken with my phone.

I put a new injector in it and got the truck started but it would barely run. So I decided to pull the rest of the injectors on that head to check them out. What I found was 1 injector with a broken plunger.

I found another one with a worn pintle in the top where the little pin could not push it down to seal and it was dribbling fuel.

So I get this whole side back together with new injectors and hope I have found all the problems. Start the truck up and its still missing pretty bad. So on the scanner I can see that #6 looks to be a dead hole but 4 and 8 seem off so I hope maybe 6 is throwing off my scanner. So I tear into the drivers side and pull that injector out. Well these injectors all look just as new as the passenger side, so I assume all 8 were replaced at the same time. I find that the fuel plunger is stuck down in the barrell.

Now I throw it back together to see what happens. Well 4 and 8 are still off. All the rest seem perfect. So I pull those two injectors to find that they both have broken combustion plates.

Get these changed and put it back together and now it runs perfect. Contribution balance is right on. So i button it up and take it for a ride. Drives perfect, no missing. Its late in the day and I park it in the shop ready to take the truck back to the dealer in the morning. Next morning truck fires right up and decide to take it for one more test drive then deliver the truck. I get about 3 miles from the shop and the truck starts missing. So put the scan tool back on it and now it is #2, the only injector I haven't taken out of this truck. So I pull it out and find it popped the spring retainer clip in half off the top of the plunger.

Now I don't know any of the history of this truck as it was a trade in and I have no idea who owned it last. Here is what I do know, the truck had a big Sinster Diesel sticker in the back window. The truck had headstuds in it and had the egr deleted. If the injectors where purchased at the same time from Sinster, I have no clue. The injectors could have been from Ford. They also did not have the AP anywhere on them that Alliant stamps on their remans. So whose they are I don't know. The injectors also had a grey plastic piece on the top of the spool valves that holds the injector wires in place. All that I know is whoever reman'd these injectors used very poor parts or had a bad batch.

Last edited:

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Thanks for this post Jeremy, just because they're new doesn't mean they're good, I'd rather someone who knows what they're doing build my used injector than take a reman that was built by a monkey.. :blitzed:

Extended Power

Reaction score
So now people reading this post are going to think twice before buying sticks from Sinister?

Why would they?
The guy who bought them traded the truck in...if he still owned it, I'm sure there would be some kind of warranty on them...unless the owner of the truck is an idiot and has no idea about diesel maintenance.

Spindrift

Reaction score
IMHO, there was no need to bring Sinister's name into the post. Those kind of references carry with them the possibility that Sinister's integrity/quality of work could be called into question by less informed folks. In other words, guilt by association.

However, I appreciated the OPs pictures and basic info.

Zmann

Reaction score
Hey Ford called it correct for once
"Truck needs all new injectors " lol

I agree insinuations aren't good for anyone ,, unless those injectors can be proven to be from a certain shop

lubeowner

Reaction score
Here is the first point. Sinister does not make their own injectors they buy from someone else. They recently switched suppliers for some reason, maybe quality maybe to get a cheaper product, I don't know.

I don't know where these injectors came from. Only reason I mentioned Sinister, is I was hoping someone else out there could shed some light on where these injectors came from. I buy my injectors wholesale from my distributor and I am not 100% sure where they come from either. I know the box says they come out of PA. I am pretty sure that many of the "Shop" like me get their injectors from their distributor, also. I know my supplier gives me a warranty with mine but I still don't know where they come from.

I know that there is no perfect reman company. I have fixed lots of Alliant Power injectors where the nuts fall off the spool valves. Of their nozzles are messed up. This truck surprised me as I have never seen this many problems on the same truck.

I also just want to just let people know that if they get injectors with a grey plastic wire holder on top let me know where it came from. The ones I get are Black. I just want to make sure that I never use these injectors as my supplier changes their suppliers. I also wanted to let some other vendors know that it they using these injectors and have had a few injectors come back then they may want to check into the warranty some.

Who knows there could just be one big company somewhere that makes all the parts for all these reman companys and all they do is assemble them. So in other words maybe every reman injector has all the same parts in them that broke on these injectors. I don't know, just makes me nervous buying injectors right now.

Zmann

Reaction score
I know the box says they come out of PA. I am pretty sure that many of the "Shop" like me get their injectors from their distributor, also. .

Cardone is in PA they do Injectors I think they were also just aquired by some other company ?

Alliant is actually Diesel injection service Inc
Wisconsin I think

I see red grey and black caps floating around

ya think they would put an Identifier on the sticks

Dave

Reaction score
Did you call Dennis?

Classy move here...

May not have been Dennis. If it had the blue anodized EGR valve blocker plate thats an MKM piece.

Besides its highly unlikely Dennis would let something like that leave his shop

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Either way, if he wanted answers he'd have called the shop that has a big sticker on the truck first.

wetnsloppy4x

Reaction score
May not have been Dennis. If it had the blue anodized EGR valve blocker plate thats an MKM piece.

Besides its highly unlikely Dennis would let something like that leave his shop
No doubt. I think what is confusing people here is the name changes Dennis was forced to go through for his shop.

Dennis Schroeder, out of Phoenix AZ, with the stellar reputation is now Strictly Diesel. I have his RR along with a few other things that I bought when he was still Sinister Diesel. http://www.strictlydiesel.com/

The current day Sinister is part of or is affiliated with MKM like Dave mentioned. I'm not entirely clear of the realtionship. Is there another Dennis at MKM/Sinister? That would confuse things even further.:doh: http://www.mkmcustoms.com/

edit: You can see the blue block off plate Dave is talking about being machined on MKM's/Sinister's home page.

edit #2: I got to wondering, is Sinister now simply a name brand MKM is using?

Last edited:

Zmann

Reaction score
That" sinister" name was a copyright cluster f and neither MKM nor Strictly were ever associated,, it was just a bad deal all around IMHO

this is why you don't chuck out BS insinuations when you see something wrong with a part ,, now 2 companies are being scrutinized for an unknown injector re builder

Last edited:

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
99.999% certain we had nothing to do with it.

truck had a big Sinster Diesel sticker in the back window
We never had a "BIG" sticker with that name. The largest we had would fit in an envelope.

In addition, ALL of the 6.0L injectors that ship out of our shop are either Brand New from Ford or are Brand New from Ford and Modified by Swamps. We do NOT and WILL NOT sell reman 6.0L injectors.

Hope this clears it up...it was not us...please leave us out of this one. We've had enough of the whole name issue, "Sinister" is NOT us, was only us for 6 months, has not been us for over a year, we're freakin' done with it.

Latest posts

Members online