Barder Turbo Upgrade

1fastTRX

Reaction score
I posted on the org, but thought I would give Barder Turbo Services his credit here too since he is a vendor. I had a MTW cast wheeled Hybrid. It ran great cruising around, but it seemed to lack a little up on the top end. ODawg714 had nothing, but good things to say about his work so I decided to have Barder modify my hybrid and add a Powermax turbine wheel to it vs the 13 blade that was in it. In the meantime I borrowed a billet powermax which I liked although it ran slightly hotter cruising as everybody had mentioned. Not bad, but a little warmer. Turn around on the turbo was like 2-3 days which wasn't bad considering he machined the turbine side, compressor side (billet wheel rubbed), rebuilt, and balanced. He also sent me a little kit which included oil feed line turbo gasket, drain tube oring, and turbo bolts. It now has a billet 11 blade single plane wheel aside from the powermax 10 blade turbine. EGT's are slightly higher than the hybrid while cruising, but that was to be expected and not enough to complain or worry. It feels like it lights off quicker than the powermax, but I’m sure it’s about the same. EGT's at WOT... well that's where this thing really shines!!! It SCREAMS up top! Max EGT's are about 1100* on IDP Xtreme Race tune. Boost spiked at about 32 lbs and was steady around 30. EBP max was 38. The whistle has a cool a factor to it, but I also like quiet on a long trip. We’ll see how that pans over the long term. I think I need some more fuel now though.

Hybrid WOT on IDP Xtreme Race
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Barder Stage 2 on IDP Xtreme Race
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Towing:
My buddy just bought a 6.0l service body F250 for his diesel business, but it didn’t run. I helped him out by towing it about 100 miles to his house from where he bought it. I know it’s not heavy by some people’s standards, but it was a good tow I felt. I sent the picture to Barder about what I was about to tow and he responded “Well get to beating it” LOL. I used IDP tow tune written for a powermax. I wasn’t able to tow in 6th gear for a couple of reasons. Traffic was an issue in certain areas, Speed limit while towing is 55mph (stock gears and 35’s put the rpm around 1500 in 6th), and after pulling over at one point to check trailer tires and straps I noticed one trailer tire running pretty hot. I was in 5th most of the time and right at 2k rpm. The turbo was definitely in its sweet spot. It spooled quick and EGT’s were running about 750-850 on average. When I would hit a hill EGT’s were about 900. On some of the steeper hills I decided to pin the throttle and see what EGT’s would look like. 5th gear WOT the truck managed to go from 55mph to 70mph and EGT’s never went over 1000. Not sure how heavy the load was, but I’m guessing truck and trailer were around 9k-10k lbs. Initially I was looking at gauges and boost and EGT’s… it made towing feel like work. ECT and EOT were maybe 195/203 while on flat ground. I finally gave up on staring at gauges and shut down the Torque app I use to monitor things. I rolled the windows down and turned the radio up. It felt great and made the tow much more enjoyable. I would look at EGT’s periodically, but just to make sure nothing was acting up.

Unfortunately I never got to tow this heavy with the hybrid. I did pull a tiny enclosed trailer (single axle) with 2 street bikes and gear on my regular street tune from IDP with the hybrid. EGT's could hit 1300 on a hill. It wouldn't build much more than 20 lbs of boost on that tune. It did great on level ground and could come out of being lugged pretty well. I think I’m starting to realize that trying to always be in 6th doesn't necessarily mean better mpg. I think I’ll get better mpg towing in 5th at 55mph than 65mph in 6th.

The hybrid was a decent turbo. For some peoples wants/needs it will be great, but I wanted a little more. Barder was able to extract that from it.

Thanks Barder for a bada$$ turbo!

Attachments

• 2013-07-08_17-00-41_101.jpg
    2013-07-08_17-00-41_101.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 178
  • 2013-07-08_17-02-58_838.jpg
    2013-07-08_17-02-58_838.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 190
  • 2013-07-13_14-29-45_267.jpg
    2013-07-13_14-29-45_267.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 165
  • 2013-07-13_14-30-04_911.jpg
    2013-07-13_14-30-04_911.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 139
Last edited:

Fox hunt

Reaction score
Did you have a modded turbine side hybrid that it was made from? I have a hybrid that is turbine side modded maybe thinking of sending it to Barder to see what he can do.

1fastTRX

Reaction score
Did you have a modded turbine side hybrid that it was made from? I have a hybrid that is turbine side modded maybe thinking of sending it to Barder to see what he can do.

If you're talking about turbine mod they would do then no I did not have it. The modded turbine housing he did still used the 13 blade turbine wheel.

I had mine machined to fit the slightly larger powermax 10 blade turbine.

NRHX2009

Reaction score
Yes you are correct, he does do more, but is more always correct / needed

What i do works well and is much more economical for the customer.

strokin6L

Reaction score
Well he told me mine was so I don't know what to tell you...
You have a PM Barder

That depends. An 05-07 turbo will not need to be modded to fit the 13 blade wheel because it already has it. However a 03-early04 turbo will need to be because it has a 10 blade. I just recently asked Nate about this. He said the turbine side is completely stock. They did try a larger wheel and some mods but nothing improved over the stock stuff so they didn't bother with it.

windrunner408

Reaction score
I think there's a misconception about the MTW turbos. For the majority of the turbos that have claimed to be an "05-07 turbo", we have found that the turbine wheel measured 72.5mm x 63.4mm (approximately as 13 blades don't make it easy to measure straight across with a set of calipers). For the 03-04 turbos, we have found that the turbine wheel measures 72.5mm x 66.4mm (again approximately). This measurement is also shared by the Powermax turbine wheels. However, the 03 and Powermax turbine wheels use a different vane due to the height of their taller inducer with the 10 bladed wheels in comparison to the 13 bladed, 04+ wheels.

So, if a 10 bladed wheel from either an 03 or Powermax turbo is going to be used in an 04+ turbine housing, then either the turbine wheel has to be modified, the turbine housing has to be modified, or the turbine housing has to be an 04+ Powermax turbine housing (I think I got most of the possible ways to make it happen LOL).

There was a modification Adrian tried on his Stage 2 and below turbos that he did to the turbine housing that was not the above modification, but he dropped it because it wasn't yielding the results he was looking for. Hope this clearifies things a little.

NRHX2009

Reaction score
There is a 66mm 13 blade out there as well that can be used in an 03-04 turbine housing, but I dont know exactly where those turbine wheels came from as an oe wheel for the turbo.

windrunner408

Reaction score
Yes that is true. There is a 13 bladed turbine wheel that has the same dimensions as the 03/Powermax 10 bladed turbines. It originated in the Duramax LLY turbos and can actually only be used in the 03/Powermax turbine housings. The 04 13 bladed turbines won't actually interchange with the 03 10 bladed turbines due to the vane height being shorter on the 04.

Latest posts

Members online