BD POWER ENGINE EXHAUST BRAKE FOR 6.4

Sandddemon08

Reaction score
So has anyone tried this product I have some questions. Here is a link to the product if you haven't seen it

http://www.dieselperformance.com/index.php/product/index/272P

The variable vane turbocharger design used in diesels today to reduce turbo lag, emissions and increase power can also be used to slow you down. BD utilizes this technology by electronically closing off the turbine vanes which can create up to 130 retarding horsepower. This braking force will help to maintain your speeds on descents and curves, giving you better control of your truck and load.

The rotary switch offers three different modes:
• Stock
• Vane Control Only
• Vane Control with Aggressive Downshift

Easily and simply installs in approximately 1-hour by plugging into existing factory ports, tapping one wire and by mounting the rotary switch on your dash.

Test shows that the BD brake was equal to or had better performance than our competitor’s brake at slowing down the vehicle.

Approximately 70 psi of back pressure generated with BD’s Variable Vane Exhaust Brake.

So here are some questions I have:

1. How well does it work, does it stop heavy loads in the range 24K-30K GVW well and any know issues running a tuner with it. Looks like it’s all standalone and would not affect anything?

2. BD states that they the back Pressure at around 70 PSI which seems high but would probably only have EGT’s in the 150-350 range since it’s an exhaust brake and you wouldn't be under power, but at any rate any concerns with this and the stock up pipes?

3. Any concerns other than mentioned, I am interested in this and would like any feedback.

Last edited:

B585Ford

Reaction score
I run an exhaust brake program on my MM for about 1 yr. Recently I bought a tow tune from GH and Matt provided (per my request) it in his tune. It works awesome!!! I gross over 30k and it amazing on the Interstate with grades. I was at 32500 on a 6% for a couple miles and never used my regular brakes. I had shifted into 3rd gear (I am gear jammer) and was only going 50 MPH (because that was the speed limit for commercial vehicles) but it held me back great. I was seeing ~42 EBP. Unless you are grossing 40k or more on a grade of 10% or more, I can't see ever needing 70. When I first started making a brake on MCC, I tried all kinds of ways I could never get my EBP beyond 50. Maybe with enough tweaking it could be done in high RPMS, but again, I dont see the need for it. Exhaust brakes do put a strain on turbos, valvetrain, and up pipes. Since I have aftermarket up pipes, I don't worry about it, but I could if you run too high EBP causing problems for stockers. I only know of 1 person who tried the BD one (he goes by Motostroker) and I think the first 2 boxes fried from that kit and he ended up taking it off. Hopefully he can chime in.

powerstroked08

Reaction score
I made one for my truck as well and it does work great. The only thing is theres no switch to turn it off. But I have it so it disengages at 1600 rpms so you don't notice it while just driving around town. If you had a mini maxx I would send it to you to try. But I'm assuming you have a spartan.

CT9AIX

Reaction score
If your referring to the engine brake being built into the tune like the guys above are talking about you can't do that with spartan tuning. Spartan does not have any way of custom tuning using their devices, you'll need MCC through H&S.

Sandddemon08

Reaction score
Yeah I have Spartan tuning. They said the BD unit wont work with a HS tuner or the edge products but they haven't had issues with the Spartan tuning.

Martin #6

Reaction score
If your referring to the engine brake being built into the tune like the guys above are talking about you can't do that with spartan tuning. Spartan does not have any way of custom tuning using their devices, you'll need MCC through H&S.

No, I was concerned if the BD brake would work in conjunction with Spartan tuning. Looks like it's compatible.

B585Ford

Reaction score
I run an exhaust brake program QUOTE]

I don't think I would like it built into the tune, the ability to turn it off when I like is appealing if it works

I agree it would be nice to be able to turn it off and I was really interested in it at first, but when it was tried it, it didn't work out for the guy so I decided to just put it in a tune and run that tune when I really need it. Maybe BD got the bugs worked out of it. I would love to have that option someday. If you do a search you will find a couple threads about it.

Motostroker

Reaction score
I ran spartan tuning. I went through two boxes, they never worked. And it took over 6 months for a refund. Never again kimosabi!

Sandddemon08

Reaction score
Well that doesn’t help my decision, but from the research I have gathered both online and from BD it looks like they have made several changes since the early product release. Most people with the early version seem not so happy and people with the current version seem very happy. I contacted them again today and I think I am going to give it a shot. I'll keep this thread going with how it works.

B585Ford

Reaction score
Well that doesn’t help my decision, but from the research I have gathered both online and from BD it looks like they have made several changes since the early product release. Most people with the early version seem not so happy and people with the current version seem very happy. I contacted them again today and I think I am going to give it a shot. I'll keep this thread going with how it works.

Good luck. I will be interested to see if this does any better.

HD-tech-NH

Reaction score

Please do!

Latest posts

Members online