brief summary of my truck

Riverside

Reaction score
Well after driving it around a little more.....I have come to a conclusion......head gaskets are done.

Anything over 65 ish boost.......it pukes......a lot.

And still can't find my keys.

Riverside

Reaction score
Pretty much.

But if the heads are coming off then might as well go thru everything.

I was looking forward to taking it down the track in a few weeks to see what it can kick out.....now that's on hold till I can go thru it.

I'm picking up a camp trailer this week also......so I don't want my truck down for very long.
Kids are super excited to do the hole camp deal.

Moral to my little story is no hot rodding or tracks times.....got to nurse it thru to at least the 1st part of summer.

Cknox121

Reaction score
Pretty much.

But if the heads are coming off then might as well go thru everything.

I was looking forward to taking it down the track in a few weeks to see what it can kick out.....now that's on hold till I can go thru it.

I'm picking up a camp trailer this week also......so I don't want my truck down for very long.
Kids are super excited to do the hole camp deal.

Moral to my little story is no hot rodding or tracks times.....got to nurse it thru to at least the 1st part of summer.

I hope your build goes quicker then mine. Took machine shop 4 months:cursing: either way should be beast once you get it put back together!

powerstroked08

Reaction score
Not to sturr up anything but those gaskets might still be ok if some douchebag of a brother in law didn't beat the ***king piss out of your truck!

Riverside

Reaction score
This. ^^^^^^^

That is more then likely why the truck couldn't handle it.....

Oh well I guess......looks like my next update will be a motor build.....oh joy

Diesel23

Reaction score
Glad you got a plan for the truck ,Well that's what it's all about the kids!! Good to hear about the camper , sounds like a great time ,im waiting for some nicer weather to start using are set up

Riverside

Reaction score
Yep.
Pretty happy with what we got.....nothing super fancy.....all I could afford at the time

For some reason I seem to spend a lot on my 6.4
Anyone else know these trucks are spendy to own lol

IMG_20150301_125720526_2_sm.jpg
IMG_20150301_125833769_sm.jpg
IMG95201503019512591174095HDR_sm.jpg
IMG_20150301_115516811_HDR_sm.jpg
IMG_20150301_120123836_sm.jpg

Riverside

Reaction score
And for a truck update.......power is a little down in the lower tunes now......starting to smoke a little more.

And my ccv that dumps into the exhaust looks like a stock truck in regen now........chit ton of white smoke once warm.

Sideswipe505

Reaction score
That sucks so much man... I would have your brother in law and sister at least help cover some of the expenses... It's really not fair that they just beat the chit out of your truck and caused THOUSANDS of dollars worth of damage and get to walk away from it. They need to take some personal responsibility and own the situation.

powerstroked08

Reaction score
That sucks so much man... I would have your brother in law and sister at least help cover some of the expenses... It's really not fair that they just beat the chit out of your truck and caused THOUSANDS of dollars worth of damage and get to walk away from it. They need to take some personal responsibility and own the situation.

I agree 100%...... But generally if somebody is ignorant enough to beat the sh!t out of a borrowed, nice, high performance vehicle. They will be ignorant enough to not own up and take any responsibility for the damage they clearly caused.

Riverside

Reaction score
Sorry, haven't done a motor or anything terribly exciting to it.
Still just limping along.

Water level Hasn't moved very much.....but only running the tow tune on my mm.
But I still figure that tune is north of 600hp.

I did actually work it a little around 4th of July.
Towed our little bummer pull trailer about 6 hrs south to a little ass town called graeagle....it kinda close to Reno NV.
Truck weighed 8800 and trailer was only 11500.....pretty light all in all.
I know its not heavy but the truck pretty dam good.
There is a decent pull leaving Oregon heading south on I5.
Iirc it's around 7 miles (+ or - a few miles) at 7% and somewhat swervy.
It was pretty hot out that weekend, 106.
I was running in the tow tune as well.
I got 35s with 3.73 and a 1800 RCD converter in front of a billet trans with elites comp clutch kit.

EGTs only got to 1170 while climbing the hill...speed was ranging from 55 - 70 turning between 2 and 2500 rpms in 4th.
There was more then enough power to spare.
Got behind a half ton newer Chevy dragging a ski boat and a semi trying to pass another semi for a few.
Chevy got into it once the other semi moved over from about 40 mph. We were doing probably 55...60ish when we got around the semi.
Chevy moved over then I rolled into it pretty hard.....EGTs spiked up to 1450 but I absolutely blew by him.
The look on his face was priceless.
Coolant temp topped at 207 oil at 217 and the tranny didn't get out of 170 range.
Pretty happy considering it was 106 out.

Once I got got off i-5 it was all windy mountain road.
That's were I was super happy to have a tap shifter.
Towhaul works good but on some of the short windy climbs in the mountains I would be going slower the 45 and the converter would unlock and build a little heat.
It would kinda bounce from 3rd to 4th. It was very nice to just put in 3rd and be able to Rev it up without it wanting to shift or keep it in 4th and the converter would stay locked, for the most part. With the tap shifter I could put it in 4th and once the converter locked I could drop down to like 37 - 38 mph and it would still be locking in 4th then pull back up speed without it shifting while climbing.

Overall I'm super happy with the driving - light towing manners of my current setup.
It spooled absolutely awsome while towing and controlled the EGTs good and had SOOO much power yarding around my Lil trailer around.

Probably be a little while before I recover funds for a motor.
Dr's found a benign mass in my wife low back / butt area.
They are going to chop it out easy enough but it is going to leave a pretty good size indent in her butt.
So we are forking out the $ for corrective surgery.....and that wasn't to cheap.

RSK

Reaction score
Sorry, haven't done a motor or anything terribly exciting to it.
Still just limping along.

Water level Hasn't moved very much.....but only running the tow tune on my mm.
But I still figure that tune is north of 600hp.

I did actually work it a little around 4th of July.
Towed our little bummer pull trailer about 6 hrs south to a little ass town called graeagle....it kinda close to Reno NV.
Truck weighed 8800 and trailer was only 11500.....pretty light all in all.
I know its not heavy but the truck pretty dam good.
There is a decent pull leaving Oregon heading south on I5.
Iirc it's around 7 miles (+ or - a few miles) at 7% and somewhat swervy.
It was pretty hot out that weekend, 106.
I was running in the tow tune as well.
I got 35s with 3.73 and a 1800 RCD converter in front of a billet trans with elites comp clutch kit.

EGTs only got to 1170 while climbing the hill...speed was ranging from 55 - 70 turning between 2 and 2500 rpms in 4th.
There was more then enough power to spare.
Got behind a half ton newer Chevy dragging a ski boat and a semi trying to pass another semi for a few.
Chevy got into it once the other semi moved over from about 40 mph. We were doing probably 55...60ish when we got around the semi.
Chevy moved over then I rolled into it pretty hard.....EGTs spiked up to 1450 but I absolutely blew by him.
The look on his face was priceless.
Coolant temp topped at 207 oil at 217 and the tranny didn't get out of 170 range.
Pretty happy considering it was 106 out.

Once I got got off i-5 it was all windy mountain road.
That's were I was super happy to have a tap shifter.
Towhaul works good but on some of the short windy climbs in the mountains I would be going slower the 45 and the converter would unlock and build a little heat.
It would kinda bounce from 3rd to 4th. It was very nice to just put in 3rd and be able to Rev it up without it wanting to shift or keep it in 4th and the converter would stay locked, for the most part. With the tap shifter I could put it in 4th and once the converter locked I could drop down to like 37 - 38 mph and it would still be locking in 4th then pull back up speed without it shifting while climbing.

Overall I'm super happy with the driving - light towing manners of my current setup.
It spooled absolutely awsome while towing and controlled the EGTs good and had SOOO much power yarding around my Lil trailer around.

Probably be a little while before I recover funds for a motor.
Dr's found a benign mass in my wife low back / butt area.
They are going to chop it out easy enough but it is going to leave a pretty good size indent in her butt.
So we are forking out the $ for corrective surgery.....and that wasn't to cheap.
good to hear the truck is still going not hurt too bad, and that sucks about your wife, but atleast you guys have the money for the corrective surgery, family first!

B585Ford

Reaction score
At least it was benign....but damn, you can't catch a break!!!! Good luck with everything.

As RSK eluded to....health/family are what's important.....but trucks do come a close second.

Riverside

Reaction score
Thanks guys.
Chit sucks but that's the way it goes and it could of been much worse.
We actually feel like we are lucky cause we had a close friend with a similar deal that didn't turn out well.

But as far as the truck health goes it's not so lucky.
It dam sure has an audible tick.
Could be rockers, piston crank contact....who knows.
Got a exhaust gasket leaking....boost leak as well.

All those problems developed after my asshole family drove it.
Still irritated about it when I think about it.

Last edited:

RSK

Reaction score
Thanks guys.
Chit sucks but that's the way it goes and it could of been much worse.
We actually feel like we are lucky cause we had a close friend with a similar deal that didn't turn out well.

But as far as the truck health goes it's not so lucky.
It dam sure has an audible tick.
Could be rockers, piston crank contact....who knows.
Got a exhaust gasket leaking....boost leak as well.

All those problems developed after my asshole family drove it.
Still irritated about it when I think about it.

Ya that is ****ed up what they did, personally i wouldn't have let anyone drive it except your wife... And ya it could have been alot worse for your wife, luckily its not too bad. Good luck with everything!

Kellyo77

Reaction score
Wow. I just read this whole thread start to finish.
First of all, I'm very glad to hear your wife is ok.
I have gone through / am going through some family crap like your situation. Basically a family member stealing thousands of dollars worth of something that is not replaceable. Hard pill to swallow. Do you want to beat the crap out of them? Absolutely.
Will doing that fix or replace what is gone? Nope. It's gone.
You are handling the situation very well.
Sucks when someone takes advantage of the trust you have in them. Blah, bitching fixes nothing. Sorry for the rant.
Good luck with the build! I will be watching this one for sure.
Hang in there brother. You got this.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.