brute 66 and hybrids

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
The fact that a torque converter splits gears infinitely was more my point. That Makes A Huge Difference. You can unlock a converter in final drive and increase speed and relock.

Manuals don't support two seconds of slip to increase rpms, boost, and speed. You have to lug or downshift.
i hear ya. thats hard on stuff while towing though.. unless you have a dam good auto...

live life full throttle

TyCorr

Reaction score
i hear ya. thats hard on stuff while towing though.. unless you have a dam good auto...

live life full throttle

Well, it's kinda necessary in a thread where the smallest injectors in anybodies truck is a 175/80. I'd want a bts for those or a twisted if I had hybrids that made more than 450hp.

TyCorr

Reaction score
You doing anything with pawg jake? Every body trucks get names, since we have good taste in women I figured phat azz white girl was a good name for the dually.

TyCorr

Reaction score
i hear ya!

live life full throttle

That stocker I took for a core for my twisted slips in "stock" tuning. And it leaks like a sieve. The cooler lines aren't leaking. I'm 75% sure it isn't the vent. Either a hole in the case or something in the pass side.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
That stocker I took for a core for my twisted slips in "stock" tuning. And it leaks like a sieve. The cooler lines aren't leaking. I'm 75% sure it isn't the vent. Either a hole in the case or something in the pass side.
talk about a kick in the nuts

live life full throttle

TyCorr

Reaction score
Ehhh, it is what it is. I'm glad I didn't sell the whole truck.

I'll get another trans. I think I'll add a billet input this time.

Swaan

Reaction score
I respect your desire but funk that dude. No way. My 460 would chew the synchro out of those pos, can imagine a diesel with 400 honest rwhp..that's about 3 times the rwhp of the 460. Torque? 5 times.

Mmmmm Well I tow all the time with my zf5. Wouldn't have it any other way.

My tow tune is prob 350 rwhp and 700 ftlb. I can pull all but the steepest grades in 5th gear. Serious pulls I drop it down to direct (4th).
I couldn't imagine sitting on a 9 mile 7% grade with your torque converter unlocked trying to gain a few rpm.
When I had my auto I had to drop to 3rd with converter locked and would be at 2700 rpm.
With my zf I drop it down to 4th and it's just right. 2300 rpm and pulls like a banchee.
I don't know everybody has there preferences I guess , but I hate autos.

DieselFreak92

Reaction score
This thread is lind of irrelevant n9w since I bought an s468 last night. Too much negativity about a 66 and horror stories for me to risk on my DD.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Mmmmm Well I tow all the time with my zf5. Wouldn't have it any other way.

My tow tune is prob 350 rwhp and 700 ftlb. I can pull all but the steepest grades in 5th gear. Serious pulls I drop it down to direct (4th).
I couldn't imagine sitting on a 9 mile 7% grade with your torque converter unlocked trying to gain a few rpm.
When I had my auto I had to drop to 3rd with converter locked and would be at 2700 rpm.
With my zf I drop it down to 4th and it's just right. 2300 rpm and pulls like a banchee.
I don't know everybody has there preferences I guess , but I hate autos.

It's not when they're in gear that I hate them it's the probability of it getting in there that scares me. Push the clutch in, hard shutter, and banging. I really like having the clutch to the floor and the truck keeps moving lol

With 250/200s and good tuning, unlocking the converter is a quick happening. You can, if needed, unlock it and throttle up. Then in two or three seconds re lock. You still haven't got into 4th gear at this point. I'm already re locked and happily 300 rpms advanced with 1k° egts. Running probably 75-80 up any grade pulling anything that fits on the trailer. I was running zf5 twenty years ago fyi. Spent lots of $$ trying to improve them. No thanks.

Have you ever towed with a built 4r and a truck that has 450ish hp at 1.7ms of pw? It's totally different than those 175/80s, which I've ran personally.

Edit: I see you have 4.10 and 35s. That probably tows a bit better than what I was picturing initially.

Last edited:

Swaan

Reaction score
My truck had a e4od with all the good stuff in it when I bought it.
That tranny lasted 500 miles after I put the injectors in it. Lmao!!

I then had it rebuilt by a reputable shop in town, again with good parts, triple disk tc ECT.
That trans lasted 15,000 miles.
I guess I should of just went with a BTS in the beginning, by now thou I had enough.
Put a rebuilt zf5 in with all new hydros and south bend clutch, haven't looked back. Shifts like a dream. It really tows amazing.
I Really wouldn't mind stepping up to a 250/100 injector now thou and a efr9180.
The hp bug is starting to bite again. Lol

KYpatriot

Reaction score
I just put in a brute 66. I have 4.10s and stock injectors. I went with the 1.0 housing because of the zf5. So far, it seems great. Spools like the stock turbo, but feels like it pulls harder and less smoke than the stock turbo. Egt down a little, not much but some.

Im running about 2300-2400 at 70-75 so maybe that is better for this turbo...so far i like it. Havent towed with it yet so that should be the acid test.

KYpatriot

Reaction score
Just an update, towed for about 10 hours across KY yesterday with my setup. Only grossing about 17500 or so, was towing a 9.5-10k fifth wheel. Got to see lots of grades and just about any common towing condition except high altitudes.

Was using Jonathon's tow tune, stock injectors, banks intercooler and the brute 66. Truck peformed great. Towed in 5th gear the whole way at 70 mph which in my truck is about 2350-2400 rpm. The truck pulled awesome, never slowed below 65 on the grades using the cruise control. EGT was 6-700 cruising and never got above 950 on grades. Boost on level ground was 4-5 psi, about 14-15 on the grades at 2400 rpm. If I accelerated on grades up to 2900 rpm id get 20lbs or so boost. No smoke, but i do have stock sticks.

My truck is supposed to have 4.10s from the door code, but my numbers always look like 4.30s so i dont know, ill count teeth next time i pull the diff cover. Also has about 3in lift and BFG285/75r16 ATs on it.

Anyway, i was pleased with it. It makes sense that the 66mm turbos will enjoy rpm, which my truck gives it with my low gearing. So for me the brute66 is working fine. I definitely have less smoke than before, and it boosts just as fast although i do have the 1.0 housing so that comparison isnt exactly apples to apples with the stock turbo.

I plan on upgrading to baby swamps or pis 169/30s in the future so im not sure if that will make things better or worse for the brute66. I dont want much smoke so now im not sure if i should upgrade the injectors or not. This truck feels pretty peppy while towing already due to the gearing I guess. might just leave them stock since i mostly just tow with this truck.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online