bts cracked bell housing.

Reaction score
I have had this vibration almost since I had my motor built in Feb. But the truck has not been running much. first saving money for another hpop then recently a new fuel system since the air dog couldn't keep up. I have been trying to address one thing at a time. So tonight I was drilling out my fuel fittings and banjo bolts trying to get a little more pressure and I dropped a wrench under the truck so while under there I happened to look up and the bell housing on my bts is cracked from the starter all the way to the top of the trans. so looks like I found my vibration. Lol has anyone ever heard of this happening before? I ran this trans for about 7,000 miles with my 250/100's and only about 4,000 miles with the 300/4's. Never been hooked to a sled or anything. I was kinda shocked.

Reaction score
I don't think so. Plus it's on the opposite side. I have not been very hard on this thing at all since the truck has not really been right yet.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
they are core transmissions.. im sure that they dont get magnafluxed to make sure they are all kosher. to the naked eye prolly couldnt see it and then add a lil torque to the equation.

live life full throttle

Reaction score
I just wonder if Brian will warranty something like this. It's not like if something he did failed. He had nothing to do with the case. Plus even though I have very little mileage on it I have had this trans probably 3 years or better.

co04cobra

Reaction score
You should be able to have it welded. Would really be cheaper then shipping it anywhere. Post some pics of how bad it is.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I just wonder if Brian will warranty something like this. It's not like if something he did failed. He had nothing to do with the case. Plus even though I have very little mileage on it I have had this trans probably 3 years or better.
if it was the first 2 years i am sure he would.. id be surprised if he would now.. although when i was at his shop a couple years back he did have a 5r there with half the bellhousing missing.. said it was a warranty claim...

live life full throttle

Reaction score
I don't have any pics right now. When I found that I stopped for the night. Lol I'm gonna try to pull it tomorrow evening I'll get some pics then. As far as welding it. I had a c6 one time years ago in a 89 f250 break the bell housing all the way around bottom bolt to bottom bolt. And I had it welded and it held up fine til the day I sold it. Still is I guess. Will welding it hold up to the hp of my motor?

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
Who Is to say it isn't cracked from the vibration and wasn't the original reason for the vibration. I see cracked cases and broken extension housings from drive line vibrations all the time.

Reaction score
Who Is to say it isn't cracked from the vibration and wasn't the original reason for the vibration. I see cracked cases and broken extension housings from drive line vibrations all the time.

Good point. I guess I can't rule that out. But I'll have to get it fixed to know for sure. It's really odd that it happened. Before I had the motor built this last time it ran smooth as can be. I was just thinking maybe the added power broke it. But with the issues I been having motor wise it's probably not making the power now that it did before I upsized everything .

co04cobra

Reaction score
I don't have any pics right now. When I found that I stopped for the night. Lol I'm gonna try to pull it tomorrow evening I'll get some pics then. As far as welding it. I had a c6 one time years ago in a 89 f250 break the bell housing all the way around bottom bolt to bottom bolt. And I had it welded and it held up fine til the day I sold it. Still is I guess. Will welding it hold up to the hp of my motor?

If welded correctly, it should be as strong as it was from factory. One of things to make sure is where the face of the bell housing bolts to the spacer is 100% level, after the weld.

Reaction score
If welded correctly, it should be as strong as it was from factory. One of things to make sure is where the face of the bell housing bolts to the spacer is 100% level, after the weld.

I have a very good welder right here in town. Same guy that welded my c6 years ago. I may just go that route if you think it will hold.

psduser1

Reaction score
This happened on my ex, just chip, intake and exhaust. Not big power!
Drove it for quite a while like that. Finally just recast it, seems fine so far.

Reaction score
Got the trans out tonight. And it's almost broken in half. The crack goes all the way from the starter to into the pan on the other side. I had decided to just weld it and give it a shot but it's no fixing this one. I tried calling Brian earlier today but they must still have been closed for the holidays. Not sure what he will say. I really don't want to wait months for him to build me another trans. I might just find another case and switch everything over. How much should I expect to pay for a junk trans with a good case? I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow. I have to pull my dad's trans out of his 99 tomorrow. Reverse went out of it so a friend is rebuilding it for me. Not a good start to the year for 4R100's at my house.

UNLIMITED_DIESEL

Reaction score
Make sure that you check the rear driveshaft. Especially if you have two u joints in the front location. More than likely, that location is your issue. They get locked in one direction and cause the vibration. We've seen this a few times. Ended up getting the shaft rebuilt and balanced, problem solved.

Reaction score
Never even looked at that when I pulled it. I'll have to check it out. That's possible cause the truck set for over a year while the motor was being built.

psduser1

Reaction score
Check your dowel pins, also. They locate the trans housing to the engine. They want to be snug, both in the engine and trans. If they are loose, no amount of bolt tightening and locktite will keep the trans in place, which will aggravate anything else that is happening.

Latest posts

Members online