Bulletproof, now cyc 1 dead miss

6speedsd

Reaction score
Tore a buddies 03 down for studs/deretes, ect. Got it back together, cranked it and now has a dead miss on cyl 1, contribution code for that cylinder as well that keeps coming back. He's driven it over 100 miles so far, says it's not getting better. Getting pretty good smoke at idle, heavy diesel smell. It's fueling but apparently not firing. Said he had no issues with injectors before teardown, but did have rough cold starts at times. Ficm tests good, no bent pins, plugged in well, injector harness looks good. Seems odd to lose an injector from sitting on the floor for about 2 weeks. I just had Torque pro with me the other day to read codes. I'll take AE back one day this week to run some balance tests and such.

I'm thinking he just lost an injector at a crazy coincidence, but he's not the most willing to spend $$. Anything I'm overlooking or forgetting to check here?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

6speedsd

Reaction score
Only 113k on the truck. So it's that at the most. He's not really the type to take care of a truck it seems though, and his right foot is heavier than the truck...

6speedsd

Reaction score
Washer was good (new), passes bubble rest so I don't think it's that. And I installed it so I know it was installed/torqued correctly. I really just want to wash my hands of that truck as I know it'll just end up melted down within a matter of time, but I did the work and I'm not the type to just walk away you know.

6speedsd

Reaction score
I suggested he swap them, but he claims if he's pulling the valve cover he is just putting a new one in instead of having to pull covers a second time....

Again as I said, I'm not expecting much of a life from this truck to be honest..

02bigstrokin

Reaction score
Did u have the heads machined? If so how much was cut off? Had a 6.4 one time that machinist took too much off and with new rocker tips, bridges and machining the intake valves on number 7 weren't closing all the way causing dead mis on that cylinder. There's a reason why ford says only a couple thousandths can be machines off before clearance becomes an issue.

Last edited:

02bigstrokin

Reaction score
Also u stated his truck is an 03, your truck is an 05? 03 rocker boxes are different then the newer years. Have seen people put mismatching rocker boxes/cylinder heads and have rockers running against sides. Not saying that's your issue but if I had to guess I'm saying its a valve issue. Take the valve cover off and bump the truck over and watch the rockers and see if they come all the way off the bridges or not

6speedsd

Reaction score
Correct. I rotated everything over by hand many many revolutions before the valve covers went back on. We watched everything and all looked as it should. He says shop only took .002 off them...I cannot confirm nor deny the accuracy of that statement.

What is checking compression going to show? Valve not closing all the way?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wiseguy

Reaction score
Correct. I rotated everything over by hand probably 20 or so full revolutions before the valve covers went back on. We watched everything and all looked as it should. He says shop only took .002 off them...I cannot confirm nor deny the accuracy of that statement.

What is checking compression going to show? Valve not closing all the way?

yep if not remove rockers and see if it will hold air pressure you may need shorter pushrods

Last edited:

6speedsd

Reaction score
Why on only one cylinder though? If it was a milling issue, shouldn't this be on the whole head?

Why can't I use AE and verify if that injector is or isn't firing? If it is, we know to rule it out of the equation.

6speedsd

Reaction score
He just told me heads had .002 taken off, new valve seats and seals. I'm assuming they replaced them all, or would they only do the ones that need it? I'm wondering if the seats on that cylinder aren't set right...

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
Some people overthink things sometimes it seems, to much milled off the heads and shorter push rods needed....be realistic LOL

Buzz test/power balance, check make sure rocker arm didn't crack or isn't broken, if not swap injector and call it a day. Pulling valve covers isn't that big of a deal obviously.

But if it left with a miss why did it leave at all in the first place...... Or did I miss something and it develope this later on.... Sometimes pulling injectors etc and putting them back in odd things could happen, if they weren't put directly into a injector trey could of gotten a little debri etc who knows.

wiseguy

Reaction score
Some people overthink things sometimes it seems, to much milled off the heads and shorter push rods needed....be realistic LOL

Buzz test/power balance, check make sure rocker arm didn't crack or isn't broken, if not swap injector and call it a day. Pulling valve covers isn't that big of a deal obviously.

But if it left with a miss why did it leave at all in the first place...... Or did I miss something and it develope this later on.... Sometimes pulling injectors etc and putting them back in odd things could happen, if they weren't put directly into a injector trey could of gotten a little debri etc who knows.
compression test will also rule out that missing bolt...but yes a little dirt in an injector could cause it smashed wires or 100 other things. but if it was just apart 5 minutes with compression gauge will tell you a lot. and yes if heads are over milled the valves will not close. I would absolutely spend a little time diagnosing before i bought ANY parts.

Last edited:

6speedsd

Reaction score
I'm not a shop owner. I just did this as a favor on the weekend. Work was done with a handshake and some beer as payment. So it didn't "leave" a shop with a miss. He's put 100 miles on it to make sure it wasn't an air pocket in the oil rail. It's still missing, so I'm looking at alternate possibilities. I'm putting AE on it one day this week to see if that injector is firing or not. They got new orings and copper washers on install, but they did set in his shop for over a week unsealed on a table. Orings were lubed with Vaseline on install, hold down bolt hole blown out, torqued to the correct ft lb. I've done this type of work on several trucks now...never had an issue. I know the procedures, the torque specs, what to do and not to do, etc.

Rockers aren't broken or cracked. I inspected each and every one before I put them back on the truck.

Latest posts

Members online