cknox121's slow build

B585Ford

Reaction score
In the grand scheme of things, pistons are cheap compared to tearing the engine back out later and possibly ruining a block.

Well, what is a man to do...I popped a HG a few yrs ago...that was a little before all the cracked piston threads and a good bit before all the cracked block threads. I have stock pistons, ARPs, and a good seal on my HGs. I hate the thoughts of removing the heads to do pistons because then I run the risk that this time, the block would crack. Recommendation? Don't worry...even if I don't tear it down now, I will be buying pistons from you before the engine gets torn down cause I like to get my stock pile of parts one at a time as I can afford them until I can afford to tear it down.

Last edited:

2good2Btru

Reaction score
Well, what is a man to do...I popped a HG a few yrs ago...that was a little before all the cracked piston threads and a good bit before all the cracked block threads. I have stock pistons, ARPs, and a good seal on my HGs. I hate the thoughts of removing the heads to do pistons because then I run the risk that this time, the block would crack. Recommendation? Don't worry...even if I don't tear it down now, I will be buying pistons from you before the engine gets torn down cause I like to get my stock pile of parts one at a time as I can afford them until I can afford to tear it down.

What is this about possibly cracking the block?

B585Ford

Reaction score
What is this about possibly cracking the block?

IIRC in the valley around cylinder 2, some blocks are weak and when doing studs (or doing studs again), the block cracks. Obviously, over-torquing the studs increases the risk but for the most part, it seems random (no block number, models, or installers, etc.) seem to be a common denominator as to who the lucky person is who's block cracks. Usually after being all put back together it is discovered shortly after because coolant winds up in the oil.

Reaction score

Here's what I tell people.

If your going to have the cab off and engine apart at all, that would be the time to do pistons. Doing it again later will only cost more.

If your situation doesn't allow it then inspect them and hope they last. You don't have to go run and tear down your engine. But be aware that it could happen.

Don't worry about cracked blocks. Generally, they don't crack unless something was not done right IMO.

B585Ford

Reaction score

If your going to have the cab off and engine apart at all, that would be the time to do pistons. Doing it again later will only cost more.

If your situation doesn't allow it then inspect them and hope they last. You don't have to go run and tear down your engine. But be aware that it could happen.

Don't worry about cracked blocks. Generally, they don't crack unless something was not done right IMO.

Thanks. My engine doesn't torn down right now so I will just hold on the pistons for now and hope they continue to hold. I reckon when I throw fuel at it, I will do the pistons then.

Cknox121

Reaction score

You get my email?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online