Cranks but no start.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Disconnecting the icp sensor fools the computer into thinking the truck has plenty of HPO so it will fire the injector solenoids for diagnostic purposes in this case. It has nothing to do with the truck knowing how much pressure there actually is in this instance. Bet it might fire on ether but it's still not going to actually run because there's no HPO in the system to inject the fuel. The ipr is allowing all of it to bleed off because the coil isn't working. Mine did the same exact thing to pretty much the same exact PSI when the ipr coil went bad. Put a coil out of a van on and it started with no issue. Even on pis injectors.

I had 8 blown injector orings and it wouldn't start by cranking. It only built 400 HPO. I shot it with ether and it ran fine.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Last edited:

95powersmoker

Reaction score

Jomax

Reaction score
Let us know if the IPR fixes it, please don't forget to reply.

I'm betting it's the IPR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

95powersmoker

Reaction score
Ok IPR did not fix it. Still only produced about 290 psi until the batts dropped down again from cranking. I pulled the valve covers and cranked but did not see any oil coming from the base of injectors. I'm at a loss here. The hpop rez was empty when I got to the truck so I changed the IPR and IPR pigtail and refilled itself after IPR changed out. So it's down stream from the pump I think.

Jomax

Reaction score
Injector o rings could be draining the Rez

I'd open the fuel filter and see if the filter is black

joe d

Reaction score
I have a brand new set of alliant injector orings id be willing to sell if tou need them.

rusty1161

Reaction score
How does the IPR harness look? This was mine when I had a no-start issue.

image.jpg1_zps2bpxu52u.jpg

Rusty

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Disconnect the HPOP line going to the head. Plumb shop air into the HPO rail....I bet you will find your problem.

Or

Get yourself a manual hydraulic gauge (3500psi) and plumb it into the passenger side HPO rail. Remove the driver's side HPOP line from the head and plug it with a fitting. Crank the motor over and see if you get any HPO. To diagnose the driver side head, just plug the passenger side HPOP line. Use AE to read the ICP sensor reading or use your gauge.

Oh BTW...every 7.3 owner should have a mechanical gauge to read the HPO.

Billy T.
[email protected]

95powersmoker

Reaction score
Billy, I don't have air at my work yard. Are you suggesting it's the orings? I'll have to build a gauge to plumb into the hoses. You wouldn't happen to know what size fittings I would need for that do you? I've got orings coming from riffraff already. Figured it couldn't hurt to do them anyways.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Billy, I don't have air at my work yard. Are you suggesting it's the orings? I'll have to build a gauge to plumb into the hoses. You wouldn't happen to know what size fittings I would need for that do you? I've got orings coming from riffraff already. Figured it couldn't hurt to do them anyways.

First, I would call Tim @ PIS and inquire if your injectors have the bad o-rings. Tim has a record of them.

I don't want to say to it's the o-rings, I like to diagnose things before throwing parts at it.

And yes, it's a #5 ORB fitting. Take one of the plugs out and bring it with you. You want 5 orb to what size hose you're using for the gauge.

Billy T.
[email protected]

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
By the time you chase down all the fittings that you need, you could've been had the valve covers off. A bad upper oring will show it self right away when you start cranking on it. If your injectors are 2 years or so old, you are gonna be in the bad oring range most likely.

95powersmoker

Reaction score
By the time you chase down all the fittings that you need, you could've been had the valve covers off. A bad upper oring will show it self right away when you start cranking on it. If your injectors are 2 years or so old, you are gonna be in the bad oring range most likely.

I posted yesterday that I pulled the vc's and cranked but could not see an oil leak. Very little if anything. Hard to tell what was residual oil and what might be leaking oil. Definitely no streams of oil leak at the injectors.

Jomax

Reaction score
Disconnect the HPOP line going to the head. Plumb shop air into the HPO rail....I bet you will find your problem.

Or

Get yourself a manual hydraulic gauge (3500psi) and plumb it into the passenger side HPO rail. Remove the driver's side HPOP line from the head and plug it with a fitting. Crank the motor over and see if you get any HPO. To diagnose the driver side head, just plug the passenger side HPOP line. Use AE to read the ICP sensor reading or use your gauge.

Oh BTW...every 7.3 owner should have a mechanical gauge to read the HPO.

Billy T.
[email protected]

When you say plug the hpop line, you do plug the port on the HPOP and removed the line entirely?

95powersmoker

Reaction score
I've got a gauge and hose put together. Trying to find the female #5orb's were kind of tricky but one of the shops we use was able to put something together for me. I will report back my findings.

Latest posts

Members online